Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    I just rooted my pre last night, turned off the shutter noise and installed your app. Very awesome! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MRBULLRED View Post
    This is over my head... I just bought a flashlight and I'm gonna duct tape it to the phone. lol
    I bet you'll have battery issues, and light leakage...
    A poster PM'd me asking how to install the icon, but the board didn't let me reply via PM since I don't have 15 posts. So here's the recipe:

) With the phone in USB mode, copy the file to your Pre's main folder as seen by Windows.

2) Take the phone out of USB mode and put it into 'Just Charge' mode.

3) SSH to your Pre

4) After logging in under your user name, execute the following:

Sudo to root:

: sudo -i

Unlock the filesystem:

: rootfs_open -w

Copy the icon over from the media directory:

: mv /media/internal/icon.png /usr/palm/applications/com.pregame.app.flashlight/icon.png

Lock the filesystem:

: mount -o remount,ro /

Reboot:

: /sbin/reboot

That should do it!
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MRBULLRED View Post
    This is over my head... I just bought a flashlight and I'm gonna duct tape it to the phone. lol
    Is it pocket friendly?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Also now that the SDK is leaked I will try and find a way to manipulate the current dbus services so that an IPK can be created.
    Hey PreGame, I was working on a quick hack to your flashlight app to launch a couple of different scripts in a similar style.

Everytime your prelease app tries to launch the scripts it does nothing, but i get a new instance of java <defunct> when i do a ps -A | grep java.

My idea was that since the cpu scaling function has issues while running video / streaming pandora, i would make a hack to put it into ondemand or userspace and set it to 500mhz on a toggle switch.

Running the scripts manually works just fine, they only don't run when invoked by your daemon :/

Any idea what would cause this?

I can post the scripts if that will help.

(i'd have sent this via pm but i can't as i am a newbie here)
    Last edited by Godsbane; 07/02/2009 at 04:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsbane View Post
    Hey PreGame, I was working on a quick hack to your flashlight app to launch a couple of different scripts in a similar style.

Everytime your prelease app tries to launch the scripts it does nothing, but i get a new instance of java <defunct> when i do a ps -A | grep java.

My idea was that since the cpu scaling function has issues while running video / streaming pandora, i would make a hack to put it into ondemand or userspace and set it to 500mhz on a toggle switch.

Running the scripts manually works just fine, they only don't run when invoked by your daemon :/

Any idea what would cause this?

I can post the scripts if that will help.

(i'd have sent this via pm but i can't as i am a newbie here)
    make sure your .sh scripts are chmod 744
    I can't believe i missed that : / Thanks dude.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    no problem let me know how it goes.
    Works great. I need to clean up the changes and make it look a little nicer, but the functionality is perfect =D

---

App is done. I can't make a new thread here to post it yet. -_-
    I wound up breaking it a couple times... and decided to just go back to the stock version of your app with modified strings and scripts.

This is 95% your work anyways pregame, so feel free to do what you will with it.

---

Further information: This app is intended for people like the ability use CPU scaling, but also want to be able to use stuff like video and pandora. I was experiencing bad video play back with it on, and straight up crashes while running pandora. All other operation is fine while leaving dynamic scaling on.

good luck, lemme know what you all think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Godsbane; 07/02/2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    AGAIN: To be Clear; There is NO CURRENT WAY to get this app to work correctly without rooting!

You can install the app itself, but the LED will NOT light up unless you install the DBUS service jar running as root from a command line!

The IPK is therefore useless! Do not even bother with it, as it will do absolutely nothing.

Note: All the "type:" instructions below mean to type everything as seen between the quotes, not including the quotes, then hit enter.

Again; here are the working instructions:
    1. ROOT your Pre. pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access
    2. Login to your Pre using your favorite terminal.
    3. Make sure you are running as root (type: "su -")
    4. cd to root (type: "cd /")
    5. Make sure the filesystem is RW (type: "rootfs_open -t")
    6. Get the flashlight tar. (type: "wget http://lunaware.com/flashlight.tar")
    7. Untar it. (type: "tar -xvf flashlight.tar")
    8. now reboot and logout. (type: "reboot", then "exit", then "exit")

When your Pre comes back up, the flashlight should work if you have done everything correctly.
    i get a "wget bad address 'lunaware.com'
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenfly View Post
    i get a "wget bad address 'lunaware.com'
    make sure you have http://
    and you left off delete the tar when you're done
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsbane View Post
    Works great. I need to clean up the changes and make it look a little nicer, but the functionality is perfect =D

---

App is done. I can't make a new thread here to post it yet. -_-
    I wound up breaking it a couple times... and decided to just go back to the stock version of your app with modified strings and scripts.

This is 95% your work anyways pregame, so feel free to do what you will with it.

---

Further information: This app is intended for people like the ability use CPU scaling, but also want to be able to use stuff like video and pandora. I was experiencing bad video play back with it on, and straight up crashes while running pandora. All other operation is fine while leaving dynamic scaling on.

good luck, lemme know what you all think.
    I don't see anything you changed??? what is this script supposed to do? I don't see anything different than what I made.
    I left the script names the same out of ease, and simply replaced the contents. if you open them up, you'll see lighton.sh now contains:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
        echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
        echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
        echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    and lightoff.sh contains:

Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    echo "userspace" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    other than it was simple string changes in your app. I only did this as a way to ease my own life, and figured i'd share it.

i was working on a different gui with more settings for specific speeds and whatnot, but everytime i loaded that app i was greeted with a blank screen. Got annoyed and scrapped that, leaving just your app with new scripts lol.
    First, I must say THANKS. This was the 2nd thing I did to my phone after rooting. Love the app I really wanted an app to do this and yours fits the bill. I have a few feature requests if your still working on this WONDERFUL flashlight app.

1. Make the background black with white text.
    2. Variable Brightness Slider. (BTW, how many watts is it setup for now)?
    3. Check the state of the flash when opening the app. It seems that if you close the app with the light on the light stays on. THen when you return to the app, you have to "turn the light on" then turn it off.
    4. I know I had one other idea but for the life of me I can't remember. I'll let you know if I think of it again.

Thanks again for the app. You have helped get our phones 1 step closer the the true swiss army knife of phones that it can be.
    I'll be installing this. Good way to get from one side of the bedroom to the other when the wife is sleeping
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    pEEf, you are awesome. I just installed this with no prior linux experience (not that any is required). Your instructions on page 9 worked flawlessly. Big Thanks!
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Nice and simple. I like it.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Dude I just have to say thank you! I initially downloaded the original flashlight tool and tried to install it using the directions within the download but to much frustration I wasn’t getting it. Then I came across your post and BOOM got it launched it in 5min! Many thanks! By the way if you have a simple process for changing the themes on phone PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Again thanks!