Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You know I know this and have told people this LOL and I did not follow it myself. Chalk that up to dumazz syndrom. Never happen again but with the fix I am back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    It's never really a good idear to update ANYTHING when you have something vital coming up. Only update when you know you have time to test or put an alternate plan into action. We call this risk mitigation.

I develop software. We would never update the OS or anything else just before making a delivery. That sort of thing has bitten us before.

My sympathy definitely goes out to you but I would chalk this up as a lesson learned.
    Same here, all saying NOT CLASSIC CERTIFIED , but they are working so Im not concerned about it right now. Hopefuly MotioApps lets us know whats going on with this app soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Thanks for posting the fix. I freaked out when I ran Classic a few times after the upgrade and got the blue screen of death, and couldn't restart in safe mode. Classic is working now.

I also see the new preferences in Classic. All of my apps are coming up as "not Classic Certified". Anyone else experiencing this?
    What are you using Resco Backup for ??? do you backup Classic apps with it and you can restore them using it. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasher View Post
    I had the same problem with Classic, but after deleting the ClassicApps folder everything works fine. The only thing I can't get to work properly is rescobackup for some reason, which is odd.

Thanks for the tip, I am glad Classic is now back up and running.

John
    I have installed the update and it did bork Classic. But it was not necessary for me to hard reset Classic. I connected the Pre to my laptop as a USB drive and cleaned out the ClassicApps and Install folders. Classic proceeded to run happily and created the classic Palm/Launcher folders under the ClassicApps folder. I moved the stuff I'd had in the ClassicApps folder to the Launcher folder and they ran happily in Classic. There is also a new Install folder Palm folder as well. It's not great that this happened but at least it was an easy fix with no loss of data.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgus View Post
    I just tried the same thing! Renaming the Classic directory also worked for me. Apparently the emulator doesn't like prc's or pdb's in the root of the ClassicApps directory anymore.
    I had the same blue screen problem after updating to 1.0.3. However, my .pdb and .prc files were no longer visible inside ClassicApps/root or ClassicApps/Install (but they had no prc or pdb files: root had Classic ROM Updater and Launcher.DAT). I backed up (on PC) and deleted the ClassicApps folder When I started Classic it made new files. The 3 programs I had previously installed wee just fine. where does those .prc and .pdb files reside ???
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    I had the same blue screen problem after updating to 1.0.3. However, my .pdb and .prc files were no longer visible inside ClassicApps/root or ClassicApps/Install (but they had no prc or pdb files: root had Classic ROM Updater and Launcher.DAT). I backed up (on PC) and deleted the ClassicApps folder When I started Classic it made new files. The 3 programs I had previously installed wee just fine. where does those .prc and .pdb files reside ???
    if you installed them using ClassicApps/Install it copies them to its own internal memory and removes them from the card. They're now hidden in the Linux filesystem with the rest of the normally inaccessible OS data. Before this solution came out I had actually rooted my Pre and was looking around for them in the hope that I could copy my data out, nuke Classic, and then copy it back into a working version. I found the folder it keeps them in but it changes the format somehow. They're not normal .prc and .pdb files anymore.
    OK MotionApps got back to me and this is there reply. Please note we should all delete the Classic ROM Updater prc. There fix is basically what was figured out here in the forum.

We are sorry you experienced this issue. It happened for some users and for some not at all.

To resolve this issue quickly please do the following:

1. Connect your Palm Pre via USB cable to the computer
    2. Select USB Drive mode on Pre\'s screen
    3. Delete the folder \"ClassicApps\" on Pre\'s drive 4. Disconnect the Pre from USB cable and start Classic.

Also, if you have previously installed Classic ROM Updater please delete it now from Classic, as its purpose is now obsolete with the new Classic 1.1.
    In order to do that, start Classic and in Palm OS Application Launcher open Apps menu and select Delete option. Find an application called \"Import\" and delete it.

Technical note for those interested in more details:
    Classic v1.1 is now able to expose complete virtual storage card via USB drive mode to the user via \"ClassicApps\" folder on the Pre\'s USB drive.
    Please note that files that you have previously placed in \"ClassicApps\" folder are still there, but are now located in \"ClassicApps/PALM/Launcher/\" folder.

Have a great day and let us know if we can help you with this question in any other way
    This solution sort of worked for me. After deleting the ClassicApps folder and removing Import from Classic I was able to launch it without a BSOD. But as soon as I tried to open SplashMoney or anything else I installed previously, it blue screened. I did a hard reset in Classic thinking removing and reinstalling might work. Nope!

Placing PRCs and PDBs in the ClassicApps/Install folder causes Classic to blue screen at launch. I even tried placing them in the new Palm/Launcher folder but that had no effect. Doesn't install anything from there I guess...

I can't believe how buggy Classic has been. So not worth $30. What's the point of using it if I have to worry about my data potentially being lost? Since you can't backup anything from it, no way to sync data, or any way to access PDB's after installing them it's pointless. I guess I'll just carry around my Palm Centro until a webOS version of the apps I use get ported. =-(
    I've applied the fix a few times since last night, Classic will work for a while. It's only temporary on my Pre, I keep getting the blue screen of death after not using my Pre for a little while. I'm not installing anything into Classic (or anything for that matter), it works for a little while after applying the fix, then I'm back at the blue screen.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I updated to 1.03 and never had any issues with Classic because I had all my classic prc & pdb files in ROM not on the virtual card
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I updated to 1.03 and never had any issues with Classic because I had all my classic prc & pdb files in ROM not on the virtual card
    hw do I get to the ROM. I have pdb files I want to add. Can you please share?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Well, this trick has worked for so far. First, after updating to WebOS 1.0.3, and having ClassicApp recreate the new folders seen under USB, I reloaded ClassicApp ROM updater in the ClassicApp/Palm/Launcher folder. I unmounted the USB Pre drive and restarted Classic. After a couple BSODs, Classic started just fine and I ran the ClassicApp ROM updater fron the internal card. After making sure Classic would run again, I went back to Pre in USB mode. The new folder structure was the ClassicApp/Intsall folder (which really doesn't seem to do anything), and a revised ClassicApp/Launcher/Install folder. Make sure to delete all read Me files under either of these USB folders. Then to add new prc or pdb file, I put them in the ClassicApp/Palm/Launcher/Install folder. When I unmounted the Pre from USB and restarted Classic, I immediately ran the Import app under Classic, and lo and behold, IT WORKED! I could now install prcs and pdbs and have them run in Classic again.

Apparently, when files are installed this way it imports the files from the Internal (virtual) Card and puts them in Phone under Classic. The Internal Card becomes empty, and in Classic, the prc can see the appropriate pdb file and the app runs as designed. This took a lot of fiddling with various combos, but this version worked for me. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    By the way, before doing the above approach, I has already had ePocrates, JNC 7, and COPD GOLD (all medical programs, but with solitary prcs),running without problem. I could not get Shots 2009 (another medical program, but with a prc and two pdbs) to run. They all would install under the old way into the Internal Card, but the prc would never see the pdbs nor would the pdbs ever get into Classic Phone, so the program would start, but with no real info. Under the install scheme as I detailed above, Shots 2009 runs perfectly in Classic and iSilo does also. Hope this works for everyone else. I'm surprised MotionApps hasn't given us more info about pdb installation, but their instructions simply didn't work for me. I don't know why ClassicApp ROM Updater worked in my approach (and I really didn't expect it to, I was just desperate), bit it did. I really want to thank everyone on these forums who has worked on this also, because I couldn't have experimented with this without getting Classic to run in the firdt place after updating to WebOS 1.0.3.

I really like this phone! So much faster then my now retired Treo 700P, which for me was very stable but sloooow.
    Awesome. Installing the ClassicApp ROM updater and then dropping my .prc and .pdb files into the newly created ClassicApp/Launcher/Install folder did the trick.

I never thought to try installing the ClassicApp ROM updater because MotionApps specifically said to delete it after updating to webOS 1.0.3

I hope future updates don't break my Classic apps again...
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Under the new Classic 1.1, MotionApps put the Install folder under ClassicApp/Install. Anything you put in there will give the BSOD, as we have all found out. Maybe MotionApps meant to put the Install folder in ClassicApp/Launcher/Install instead, because this is what seems to work and what ClassicApp ROM updater did originally.
    cant believe motionapps havent corrected this yet.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    How did you install epocrates. it has me stumped!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Worked fine for me (mostly).

Classic starts fine. Even got Epocrates to load up and Autoupdate over Wifi, but after it finished syncing, Classic crashed. I closed it and opened a new card and it works fine.

I did pay the $30
    Any suggestions on how to load Epocrates? It recognizes Pre and won't load
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    How do you empty the directory:

.Trashes/501

All my deleting has left a ton of junk in there.

I can't seem to drag it to my Mac trash can like I can other files in USB mode.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I had Calendar working under Classic before the 1.0.3 update.

Now if I run it I get a Blue Screen and can't get Classic going in Safe Mode. Only thing that works is rename ClassicApps again.

Since it seems to hide some files, maybe it would be worth it to uninstall Classic and start over.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast