Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Question... Is Classic an app you buy from the Palm Pre App Store?
    Sorta.... There is the webOS front-end that downloads from the store. Then there is the native plugin to the Pre. As far as I can tell, that part comes as part of the firmware.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Classic still works great for me after the 1.03 update. There is a sound on/off toggle under classic preferences now but it doesn't do anything.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    If you downloaded the webos doctor vaccpalm you could probably just restore to 1.0.2 and reinstall your classic app for this weekend.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    It no longer recognizes anything on the Internal Card for me. The files are still there when I look at the Pre but Classic says no files are there.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Here is the site to file a ticket with MotonApps to ask them to fix this .

MotionApps Customer Support
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Ok, if I delete the ClassicApps folder from the USB drive, I can start Classic again. This is after blowing away my Classic setup, so there may be other factors involved. Still experimenting...
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    No offense to anybody, but classic is nothing but bugs and headaches! This is really an alpha app, and I would not recommend anybody buying it unless they really really must run an old PalmOS app that doesn't connect to the Internet.
    Don't agree with you. I have found Classic to be quite excellent (until now that is**), as I too installed the update. Classic was running Tide Table, DayNotez and SplashID very well.

**Actually, I got it to work under 1.0.3 by deleting the Install folder or maybe the ClassicAPps folder - don't remember exactly (as described by others)
    Last edited by liv2surf; 06/20/2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Ok, if I delete the ClassicApps folder from the USB drive, I can start Classic again. This is after blowing away my Classic setup, so there may be other factors involved. Still experimenting...
    This worked for me! I renamed ClassicApps and it started fine, generating a new one. The new one adds PALM and PALM/Launcher folders, so maybe that was what it was looking for. I did NOT do a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    This worked for me! I renamed ClassicApps and it started fine, generating a new one. The new one adds PALM and PALM/Launcher folders, so maybe that was what it was looking for. I did NOT do a hard reset.
    Same for me.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I wish Pre has a file explorer now so that I can give the above method a try, oh well, have to wait till tonight then :-(
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Ok, here's the fix I have found. Unfortunately I deleted my Classic install before trying this, but hopefully that's not necessary.

Connect the Pre to a PC in USB mode.
    Backup anything you need from the ClassicApps folder.
    Delete the ClassicApps folder.
    Disconnect and Classic should now work.
    Classic will recreate the ClassicApps folder, but there is a new structure:
    PALM
    +--Launcher
    Install

Anything you want to be visible when in the emulator must be placed in PALM\Launcher.

If you put files in the Install folder, you will get the blue screen at startup. I'm not sure what the correct process for installing apps is now.

Under the Preferences of the Classic app, there are new options for emulator speed and sound. Sound still does not seem to work, and I'd be leery of activating the background alarms option right now.

Classic is made up of two pieces internally, a javascript bit that launches and handles some setup, and a background native part that does the emulation. Palm's update brought over the background part without updating the javascript front end. I suspect that it got accidentally rolled into the update, but I don't know.

This should get you running again until a real fix appears.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Just to be clear: Go into Pre as USB drive. I renamed ClassicApp to "ClassicApp new" and ejected the Pre. Classic works again as stated above! I then went back into Pre as USB drive there was a new ClassicApp folder. I then deleted the renamed "ClassicApp new" folder, leaving the reconstituted ClassicApp folder. All is good again. ePocrates, dateBook6, Shots 2009, etc are all working again.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just tried the same thing! Renaming the Classic directory also worked for me. Apparently the emulator doesn't like prc's or pdb's in the root of the ClassicApps directory anymore.
    Nope, they have to be in ClassicApps/PALM/Launcher now.

While looking for a .prc to test this with, I found I still had the demo of TealOS! So I give to you: TealOS on Classic on the Palm Pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Classic was crashing for me too. Renaming the ClassicApps folder did the trick and now classic is working fine (starting up without crashing). Thanks for the tip.

The OTA update definitely updated Classic to 1.1.05.

I managed to get sound working by changing Emulation mode to games. After switching to games mode, the sound could be toggled on. I can hear the background music in bejeweled 2 now.

The update seems to have fixed some other issues too. I was having problems in bejeweled where a notification would lock up classic when I was in Bejeweled2. This no longer happens. You can also resize the screen. It did crash on me once so it isn't perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Nope, they have to be in ClassicApps/PALM/Launcher now.

While looking for a .prc to test this with, I found I still had the demo of TealOS! So I give to you: TealOS on Classic on the Palm Pre.
    Whoa, trippy man!
    All you guys who worked on this fix and posted the fix, a HUGE thank you! Well done!
    I had the same problem with Classic, but after deleting the ClassicApps folder everything works fine. The only thing I can't get to work properly is rescobackup for some reason, which is odd.

Thanks for the tip, I am glad Classic is now back up and running.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I paid $30 day one as I needed Palm VNC for THIS WEEKEND as Im going awsy for a day or two and my luck its this weekend that its not going to work . RRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
    It's never really a good idear to update ANYTHING when you have something vital coming up. Only update when you know you have time to test or put an alternate plan into action. We call this risk mitigation.

I develop software. We would never update the OS or anything else just before making a delivery. That sort of thing has bitten us before.

My sympathy definitely goes out to you but I would chalk this up as a lesson learned.
    Thanks for posting the fix. I freaked out when I ran Classic a few times after the upgrade and got the blue screen of death, and couldn't restart in safe mode. Classic is working now.

I also see the new preferences in Classic. All of my apps are coming up as "not Classic Certified". Anyone else experiencing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast