Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Will it be possible to install apps that aren't from the app catalog? I'm wondering if there'll be a bustling community of independent programmers ala xda developers and the like for winmo devices.
    yes
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    yes
    have you done it or know how it works? or you just saying yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by thedecline View Post
    have you done it or know how it works? or you just saying yes?

im just saying because that is what palm said, that you will be able to get app outside of the app catalog.

as far as i know, no one is offering app that way right now.

maybe when the sdk comes out.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    i'm not a Linux guy at all, but from what i'm told after you have your phone rooted (i had my Linux guy do this for me, oddly enough hes a huge win-mo fan...go figure?), with the right drivers any Linux package should work.

So apparently the freedom is there, to do damn near anything, its just a matter of devs and programmers to getting around to writing apps and drivers for stuff before we are on par with every ones favorite iphone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Once the SDK comes we will have third party apps.
    I read somewhere that all one has to do to install apps, not in catalog, was to drag and drop onto PrPrPr&#$275$; $when$ $in$ $USB$ $drive$ $mode$.
    Quote Originally Posted by genoahous View Post
    I read somewhere that all one has to do to install apps, not in catalog, was to drag and drop onto PrPrPr&#$275$; $when$ $in$ $USB$ $drive$ $mode$.
    That is not correct. Simply copying something to your Pre while in USB mode doe ones not install it on your phone.

The launcher will have no clue about it, and therefore it will be unavailable to be launched.

Apps have to be in a specific directory to appear in the launcher, one that is not accessible when in USB mode.

Of course someone has already worked around that for rooted Pres. But outta the box - its a no go.
    Well there has to be some specific directory you put the app on to install it, or a way to get it from a website without using the store. I guess we won't know till it actually happens.