Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I'm having trouble with the Sprint Navigation (SN) App. While a passenger in my friends car, I tried to pull up directions with the SN app. It was successful in acquiring a signal and telling us how far we had to go, but when I tried to plan a route, it would start 'thinking' and then tell me it could not perform the requested operation. It seemed like our signal was lost mid operation.

Then, I opened the Google Maps App, and tried going about getting directions. It showed us exactly where we were, and updating our location, real-time. I was able to get text-only directions via google and was successful.

So, after realizing the GPS was fine, I again tried using the SN app and it failed to work properly again. Could it be that we were in a moving car? That's pretty ridiculous if it won't work in a moving car, especially since Google Maps had no problem updating us of our position in real time.

This happened twice over the past few days. I'm starting to think its a SN app issue, but wanted to know if anyone has issues with their GPS and the apps that use it.
    I used the app this weekend for a 3 hour trip up to a friend's cabin, and had no issues with the app not being able to find me or generate a route. The only problem I had was one time the map hadn't been updated with the highway changes that were done last year, and I ended up having to make a U-Turn, but after that it worked very well.
    I seem to be having problems with incoming calls while the Navigation app is working. The phone doesn't seem to shift between the two properly.
    Mine worked great, but it got really hot. I kept putting it in front of AC vent to keep cool.
  5.    #5  
    Another issue I forgot to mention:

While in the car for the 2nd of two incidents, once we arrived at our destination and still frustratingly trying to get the SN app to function, I turned off then on my Pre. Everything seemed to work fine for a few days. I have refrained from using it again, but it makes me wary of not being able to use an advertised perk/function of the phone.

I'm hoping this is an isolated incident for this particular Pre. I need to have mine replaced anyway due to screen defects (non-uniform brightness at screen edges, looks very odd).
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I have had problems with my Sprint Navigation for the past few days as well. It hasn't been acquiring a location.
    I'm having a dif problem, where it keeps saying it cannot locate my position and to make sure I have a clear view of the sky. I'm sitting right by the window and can see the sky fine.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I had the exact same thing happen to me the other day...a reset fixed it but I hope it doesn't continue to happen
    A reset as in power the phone off and remove the battery? Or as in going into device info andclicking on reset options, then restart? I've tried the latter a few time w/o much luck. thx.
    Had the same issue. Power off/on once, no problems since.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    restarted the phone, it works fine now. Hoorah!
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    I'm having a dif problem, where it keeps saying it cannot locate my position and to make sure I have a clear view of the sky. I'm sitting right by the window and can see the sky fine.
    Have you tried actually going outside?

Sometimes it does need a full SKY...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    A reset as in power the phone off and remove the battery? Or as in going into device info andclicking on reset options, then restart? I've tried the latter a few time w/o much luck. thx.
    I have tried both a regular on/off approach, and a hard reset (pulling out battery while phone is on, then holding power button for about 10 seconds while battery is out, then put battery back and turn on).

The latter method is quite cumbersome, and I hope I do not have to do this too often.

My previous phone was a rather robust "feature phone" (not smartphone) and it would get bogged down and glitch after about two months of use. A hard reset would fix it in a jiffy, so even though it was not a smart phone, perhaps the same principles apply

FYI, the hard reset was recommended by both the university's IT dept. (who I work for) and by my old phone carrier, Verizon.
    I have a generic car charger that will charge the Pre - but it cannot keep up with consumption when in Navigation - battery gradually goes DOWN!. Pre gets quite warm too.

But, there are some good things too:
    • Search Function - if you haven't tried it, click Search, Category - "Gas By Price" and click Sub Catagory (I have a Diesel, so can select that). You will see the price of fuel near you!

• Take a look at the rest of the categories - if you don't find what you are looking for, just type it in. Entering "Auto Repair" found me lots of shops - but I also found a somewhat different list by entering "Auto Service". Seems you can get quite specific! Better in this area then my dash GPS.

• It integrates with my Bluetooth radio, so directions come over radio speakers. But, when it is running, no radio function. Phone calls will over-ride it. Not sure I like it that much - may turn off Bluetooth when using navigation. Maybe there is an option to use it or not, because I really like it with the phone.

• Driving and don't want to take eyes off road to enter address? In opening navigation screen, Click on "Address" and then look at the bottom of the screen and click "Call it In" - it will connect you to automated system where you can tell it by voice where you want to go! Try it.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Anyone has issues with the sound quality? My audio gets clipped or sounds staticky at the end of an instruction. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Anyone has issues with the sound quality? My audio gets clipped or sounds staticky at the end of an instruction. :-(
    I don't even get any sounds. I thought this thing is supposed to have text to speech. I always have to read the screen to see what's my next turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZwldcats View Post
    Have you tried actually going outside?

Sometimes it does need a full SKY...
    I got the same message last week sitting in a convertible with the top down and nothing but blue sky above me. I just had to laugh, mostly because I was just playing with the nav on my way home from work and didn't actually need it at the time. I haven't tried it again yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30 View Post
    I don't even get any sounds. I thought this thing is supposed to have text to speech. I always have to read the screen to see what's my next turn.
    Turn on Street Names. It calls out directions. If you are unable to hear it for whatever reason, just tap the arrow at the top. The earphones work flawlessly w/ Sprint Nav.
    Has anyone been successful in sending an address to someone else? Mine worked when I sent to myself but that was it.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I encountered the same problem on the road last weekend. After entering the address and selecting the route type, SN tried downloading directions but came up with the "can't find location" message. And yes, I had a clear view of the sky. Google maps found my locations as did the Map & Traffic feature. Called Sprint Customer Care (CC) and they advised pulling out the battery (w/o turning the PRe off) and then restart. That solved my problem. However, the same problem has reoccurred each day since. I have found that turning the Pre off/on also appears to reset SN.

I called CC again yesterday and they opened a ticket. Hope to hear back from them soon with a permanent fix. They also tried to download the SN app again but that failed. Love SN when it works.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast