Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Ok, this is my first Palm device, crossed over from the iphone...I took a look on the Palm website at the PalmOS apps (just to get an idea of what they're offering) and saw that the prices for them mugs are kinda high...maybe I'm spoiled from all the free and $5.00 and under apps from Apple...what gives? I mean I don't mind paying a bit for a good app but $30 for a bible (not that I'm in the market for a bible, much less one on my phone) but still, $30 bucks? You gotta be kidding me.

We paid for cutting edge apps at a time there were few phones that used apps. But they were very useful, hopefully with the success of the pre we can see app prices more towards the iphone apps.
    supply and demand.

with the sdk only in very limited hands now, supply is low. after it goes public, supply should theoretically rise to meet demand and prices will fall.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kidfaces View Post
    Ok, this is my first Palm device, crossed over from the iphone...I took a look on the Palm website at the PalmOS apps (just to get an idea of what they're offering) and saw that the prices for them mugs are kinda high...maybe I'm spoiled from all the free and $5.00 and under apps from Apple...what gives? I mean I don't mind paying a bit for a good app but $30 for a bible (not that I'm in the market for a bible, much less one on my phone) but still, $30 bucks? You gotta be kidding me.

What are you talking about? The Pre App Catalog (which is not on Palm's site anyway) does not list a Bible and, so far, the only app listed that actually runs on the phone and costs money is Classic-the Palm OS emulator. There are two desktop sync apps that also cost money. Everything else, so far, is either free or in beta.
    PalmOS apps are not WebOS apps. WebOS should be easier to develop in and the SDK will be free. The App Catalog will very likely be similar, in pricing and content, to the iPhone's App Store.
    FWIW, I had a bible app with 4 translations on my treo/centro that I got for $10 at staples. I expect they will be reasonable on the pre when they come out.
    The OP is confusing Palm OS and Web OS.

As far as Web OS goes, we'll just have to wait and see. As far as Palm OS, there are thousands of apps in the $10 and under range, and thousands more that are free.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kidfaces View Post

It is actually $34.99 plus applicable taxes..LOL
    The key for looking for palmOS apps to run on classic if that is what anyone wants to do is to google search (or whatever your favorite one to use) for places to find them. I frequented such sites as freeware-palm.com, palmgear.com, cnet downloads, handango, pdatopsoft, and many other popular PDA sites very similar to these I've listed. I used to have over a dozen bookmarks for places to get palmOS apps and nearly all of them had free apps and between them all there was just an amazing amount of free apps. sourceforge also has some stuff though last time I visited (quite a long time ago) it was hard to seach just for palmOS stuff. If there is one thing I can say about palmOS is there was cetainly not a lack of freeware. In fact even some of the trialware was quite nice using them in the trial capacity (many are just nag ware or limited functionality rather than a time limit trial). I have archived on my PC every palmOS app I have ever used, bought or tried. The most I ever paid for an app was about $10. Yes there are some more expensive apps but those are either targetted at a business professional or are highly professionally designed (that is the quality of the app justifies the price). I used olive tree reader (free bible professional quality bible app that had many free bible versions to use in it as well). Believe me if you search and dig hard enough you will find a free app for just about everything you want. They may not be as professional looking or as high quality as a paid app but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for obviously there are exceptions to that in both the free and paid app arenas.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Some clarification, I wasn't confusing WebOS with PalmOS...I know they're different. What I was doing was perusing the PalmOS apps just checking out what they got since I've been an iPhone user for 2 years and never owned a Palm device of any kind. I was just checking out what kind of apps Palm had. Then I saw the prices of some of them and started to get a little worried that the WebOS apps (when they FINALLY start releasing them) will be higher than what I'm used to paying for with Apple. I didn't do a whole lot of digging as PalmOS apps do me no good (I didn't buy a slick new phone to pay $30 for an app that will allow me to pay again for OLD apps...sorry. I want my apps to be as slick and new as my pretty phone I just saw the bible app for $34.99 (thanks giobatera) and got nervous.

Oh, and I'm not looking for bible apps...Not fond of lightening strikes
    I see no reason to think that there won't be just as many free or cheap apps designed for webOS as there has been previously on palmOS. Not to mention it is my understanding it is really simple for iphone devs to port their apps to webOS so I would think those devs would want to extend their market to webOS. Especially since we are looking at a 3rd major company in the smartphone market now based on similar launch success as the iphone had. Not to mention how many cases I'm seeing and hearing of other smartphone users (mainly blackberry and iphone) switching to the pre.
    There are some iPhone applications that are above $20 too. It all depends on what the software developers think that they can charge for their app. If it's a really useful, well made application, people will pay for it.
    PalmBible+ is available for the Palm for free. It allows multiple languages and translations, many available anti-aliased fonts, and is completely free. Most translations are also available for free. In addition, multiple translations (and languages) can be viewed side by side, and it supports red letter translations. No reason at all you should pay for a Bible on the palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infomofo View Post
    supply and demand.

with the sdk only in very limited hands now, supply is low. after it goes public, supply should theoretically rise to meet demand and prices will fall.
    Sorry, your theory doesn't apply here. All of the Pre apps (so far) are free beta apps.

There were $30 apps back then (and believe me, there were some that were a lot more) because the market bore them. I don't think it will this time around. It is going to be interesting to see how much long-time Palm publushers handle the shift in pricing.