Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I've continued to try and get this app to work. I've left GPS turned on for several days now. Saturday, while I was running some errands it, seemed to be able to get my location and map out a reasonable route. Sunday, it fell on its face again (ie., "cant get current location" errors). Today, while at work, it could likewise get a location, but mapped out a really weird route home (I suppose that's the topic of another post).

I turned it on while on the way home and it worked like a charm. But then just for fun, I had it try and map my way back to work. Yup, it fell on its face again. Twice, in fact and I was outside of my home for both attempts.

I expected issues with being an early adopter of a new hardware/software platform, but I didn't expect to do alpha-testing. Until they get the software/firmware updates pushed out to make this app rock solid, I consider it slightly better than useless.
    I too have had intermittent problems with "can't get current location" errors. Happened in Chicago and in Seattle. Worked fine, then didn't work 10 minutes later. Frustrating. Even out in the wide open (away from tall buildings).
    i used sprint nav all weekend and was pretty impressed by it.
    I had a few complaints in reguards to rerouting... I wish there was a way to quickly alternate my path to avoid certain roads etc. but in general I was pretty happy with it.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartc View Post
    i used sprint nav all weekend and was pretty impressed by it.
    I had a few complaints in reguards to rerouting... I wish there was a way to quickly alternate my path to avoid certain roads etc. but in general I was pretty happy with it.
    When it works, it does seem to work well. But as I said in an earlier post, it guided me to my destination on a weekend trip beautifully, then fell on its face on the return trip via the same route the next day.
    I've used mine upwards of 20 times and never seen any of these problems, it sounds like a hardware issue to me...
    Anyone used the Pre and Sprint Nav app on a real road trip? Thinking of using it to drive down to FLA.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I haven't used it for long trips, but have used it for short trips. In addition to the couple of times it's just given up, I also found that you can't start it when you don't have a data signal. Obviously you won't get data without a signal, but it would be nice if you could tell it to just start looking, and have it pick things up as soon as possible. Currently, you have to drive to somewhere there is signal, and then start the app and tell it where you want to go. Which is kind of problematic for a navigation program, since you shouldn't be doing data entry while driving.

When it loses signal, it doesn't immediately give up, I'm not sure if there is a point where it will quit but wouldn't be surprised.

I also have a couple of Garmins, so I suppose I'm a little spoiled. On the other hand, the Pre gets traffic, and my Garmins don't.
    I just tried Sprint Navigation, cool but they need to fix the 'contacts' bug. It will not bring up my contacts list.

I called Sprint and the rep had the same problem and he reported it.

So I suspect Sprint and Palm know about this bug already. I read on Palm's Support Site Forums several people complain about this issue.

I have my fingers crossed. When I entered the address in manual it work and it is really a cool gps system.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Is this the same (TelNav) application being used on the Pre as it is on the Instinct? If so, I've had no problems with the Nav function. In fact, I love it! Wish I could change the voice though.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martymarman View Post
    Anyone used the Pre and Sprint Nav app on a real road trip? Thinking of using it to drive down to FLA.
    Yesterday, I plugged in my destination and used the nav for a 2 hour trip. During the trip I used Pandora. During that same time I had a txt message show up. I had it plugged into my car charger and it was hot as hell but it was working. I had it hooked into my Mustang's audio via the aux pinplug. Pandora muted automatically when the lady's voice came on to give me directions. Nav...both ways...was perfect.

This phone is kick ***.

bj
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    last weekend I did a road trip from SLC UT to Phoenix AZ. Sprint nav worked great... when it worked! I found a couple of issues and a few work a rounds. Nav works great on EV and 1x but not in roam, I found that the pre would not switch back from roaming even when there was a EV or 1x service. I discovered that if I put the pre in airline mode then turned airline mode back off, I would pick up and EV or 1x signal. This also worked to fix the no gps and unable to locate messages. Its a quicker fix then the reboots so I thought I would share! I hope Palm fixes this soon!
    When I first got the Pre, the Nav worked fine. After that, I continuously got "cannot find this location". Took it to a Sprint store, where the guy had just dealt with a similar problem. He took the battery out and put it back in. The Nav has worked fine since then.
    Try rebooting.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    After continuing to play with Sprint Nav for a few more weeks, I'm now pretty convinced that my problems may have been due to two entirely different situations.

The first issue, when Sprint Nav failed on the way homeward bound leg after working flawlessly on the outbound leg via the same route, was more than likely due to my turning GPS services off and on as needed. Some one above pointed this out.

I'd contacted Sprint support and they did a hard reset which seemed to help for a short time, but it started failing again with the same message. This second round of failures occurred at home. I live in a large condo complex with lots of open space, but there's a large, 60-yr. old elm tree just to the east of me. If it fell, parts of it would land on my deck. I cannot reliably get a location at home. But if I drive to a gas station two-blocks away, I'm fine. If I try at work, I'm fine. So I think I must live in a sort of "GPS black hole".

But what confused me is that both situations, though very different, elicited the exact same error message, leading me to think the same problem had occurred all over again.
    I have had problems with the Sprint Navigation not picking up a satellite signal when Google Maps picked up a satellite signal with no problem. I know it was NOT my location because I had a clear view of the sky and kept trying ALL afternoon in different locations. Sometimes my Garmin Nuvi does that too, but Google Maps on my Pre seems to always work. Go figure.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12