Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    The clock app has an alarm function. That's great. I have a nit to pick though. The icon that shows up to say you have an alarm set takes up an entire bar by itself at the bottom of your screen instead of at the top with your wifi and battery life icons. Why wouldn't it go up top? It's steal precious real estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    The clock app has an alarm function. That's great. I have a nit to pick though. The icon that shows up to say you have an alarm set takes up an entire bar by itself at the bottom of your screen instead of at the top with your wifi and battery life icons. Why wouldn't it go up top? It's steal precious real estate.
    this probably doesn't belong in the reviews section, but i'll answer your concern anyway.

you can get rid of the alarm notification and it's still active. just tap on the icon (the little bell), then when the notification bar comes up, swipe it off the screen.
    I just use my calendar as my alarm...
    Why are people reviewing the clock app. Its a clock, Its an alarm and thats about it. Its great.
    does the alarm have a volume control? Mine's not very loud. I just got my Pre this afternoon so sorry if this has already been addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48 View Post
    does the alarm have a volume control? Mine's not very loud. I just got my Pre this afternoon so sorry if this has already been addressed.
    I was having a very similiar problem. I had been waking up an hour late for the past two days because I didn't hear the alarm go off. I would wake up to see that it had rang, but couldn't possibly believe it as I sleep with the phone right next to me. I started running alarm tests earlier tonight and finally figured out many of the alarm quirks.

First off, the alarm is considered a system sound. It is tied in with the other webOS sounds such as notification dings or the 'swoosh' you get when you swipe away a card. Under "Sounds and Ringtones" in the Launcher, their is a volume setting for this. You MUST have System Sounds at full volume, because this will also determine the volume of your alarm. This makes no sense to me as every other phone I've used had the alarm play at the level of my ringer, but whatever. That's the way this goes.

And it gets weirder. If you've decided to turn OFF System Sounds, alarm volume is STILL determined by how loud you have the System Sounds setting at. So in other words, if you want to hear your alarm without fail, make sure that System Sounds volume level is always at full.

So to sum it all up, the Pre only allows you to control the volume of two things - the ringer, and all the system sounds congruently. To me, this is extremely annoying as I like my notifications at a lower level than my alarm, but I would guess that this will come in a firmware update. One other big issue with the sound control is that you cannot customize notification sounds, so Palm should definitely address this soon.