1.    #1  
    Noticed this when I went to the developer page. I know this is basically a whole other OS but come on. I thought we were passed $30 apps...
    Personally, I never expected that we'd be past $30 apps. I do expect, however, that the average price will be far less than it has been in the past. The iPhone certainly did change that metric.

Then again, we really don't know what app pricing will be for the Pre, because it's one thing to develop a $.99 app when there are 40 million devices that can run it worldwide (or even "just" 20 million iPhones). It's another when there are 100K devices, as we're at now with the Pre. We might see average prices start high and fall quickly as more devices are sold.

I also don't WANT $.99 apps or even $4.99 apps or even $9.99 apps if they 1) suck, 2) are stupid, or 3) are buggy and unsupported. I really wonder what kind of companies stand behind the typical $1.99 iPhone/iPod Touch application that sells 10,000 copies.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    They've emulated PalmOS in webOS. I suspect that wasn't a particularly easy or inexpensive task. If you need the product, then $30 isn't all that bad and you'll happily pay for it.
    If it did anything but crash my pre, maybe I'd be willing to pay $30 for it. But, after wasting my whole trial period just trying to get classic to work, I'll never know! This app was a HUGE disappointment!
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by locd32 View Post
    Noticed this when I went to the developer page. I know this is basically a whole other OS but come on. I thought we were passed $30 apps...
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    They've emulated PalmOS in webOS. I suspect that wasn't a particularly easy or inexpensive task. If you need the product, then $30 isn't all that bad and you'll happily pay for it.
    The other possibility...I wonder...is if part of the high price of Classic (which, I think it wouldn't be reasonable to compare to other apps) is a licensing issue. Like, I wonder if the copy of the OS that comes with each copy of classic is a licensed copy of Palm OS...make sense?

Given the number of business dealings Palm went through in the last few years and the OS being licensed/leased/sold and everything else...I assume that there's a legal factor in here as well.

As far as cheap apps go, lets not forget how many of the $0.99 apps (and above!) on the iPhone are "fart apps"

All said and done, I have confidence in the platform, and I think that once the SDK is released, there will be an opening of the floodgates with functional, inexpensive (or free!) applications.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    The WM application, known as StyleTap is about $50 and is generally more stable than the Palm OS. As a result, $30 bucks is really not a lot to pay for an application that gets used a lot. I have a few that cost considerably more than $50.
    i would not mind paying this if it were more stable. but in reality its not. and it couldnt get some of my important apps to run.
    it won't even let us access the virtual SD slot.