Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Instant messenger is one thing I love smartphone with keyboard and hence Palm. But with WebOS Palm brought IM right in the core of their OS. Now early adapters pf Pre who got most of their contacts on Yahoo or MSN are stuck. I doubt any IM developer will make an IM solution for Palm Pre knowing Palm may and must add other services right into contact and messaging apps they have in WebOS. So what you guys think? Will there be a IM solution from 3rd party developer? Or we got to wait for Palm to add Yahoo and MSN feature into their next update?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    didnt palm already say they were adding yahoo support? or did i misinterpret it?

if i got it right then i would worry and once the sdk's get out. there will be more apps im sure of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    didnt palm already say they were adding yahoo support? or did i misinterpret it?

if i got it right then i would worry and once the sdk's get out. there will be more apps im sure of it.
    Sprint said Palm is.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    In the webOS root image leaks, icons and software functionality appear to support just about every IM service under the sun. The IM framework is based on libpurple, which is what Adium and Gaim use. One blogger wrote that this essentially puts the full power of the Adium client into the Pre, which makes it potentially the absolute heads-and-shoulders above all others best IM software in a mobile phone.

I'm supposing that Palm is working on QA and battery drain issues before rolling this stuff out...but that's purely conjecture that logically fits. Gaim/libpurple codebase was not intended for phones. Not that it's power hungry or dirty code, it just hasn't been fine tuned for mobile.

Patience, well, at least for 30 days
    I won't be holding onto this phone through the contract based on "hope". Been there, done that, if a phone doesn't get the updates I'm hoping for in 30 days it never will.
    Even if Palm adds Yahoo/MSN to it's messaging app, I'm sure 3rd party developers will develop their own IM apps with more/different set of features.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    What ever happened to Trillian?
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    people realized that paying for an IM client was retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Nothing, I use Astra on my PC all the time.
    One thing that is unique about Google Talk and AIM is that you can be signed in from multiple locations so I think that makes more sense. If you walk away from your computer as I do and GTalk is still on, you can continue the convo right from your phone. Yahoo/WLM don't have these features.

I've been trying to scale down to just 1-2 messengers anyway. this may give me the excuse to do so.

NONE of my friends use WLM.

Most are on Yahoo, but hardly any of them are on (so no point there)

2-3 on AIM, and all of them also have GTalk clients

So that leaves my favorite client, GTalk (fav next to Skype).
    The google talk protocol is XMPP (Jabber), If palm just let us change the server settings we could use our own Jabber server that supports yahoo or MSN, you just would have to set up the account on a computer so it has the extra logins added.
    I installed Mundu Messenger and it can handle all IM protocols.

Of course, it's installed under 'Classic'.

I tested it out for Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, they both work.

For some unknown reason AIM does not work, but I suspect it's because the Pre itself does.

Rob

Download Mobile IM with MSN, Gtalk, Jabber, ICQ, Yahoo. Internet radio. VOIP, make international calls on Mobile IM Application if interested in the product.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I've already reached out to my favorite 3 smartphone IM multi-client developers BeeJive, ShapeServices, and Mundu and all 3 have mentioned they are highly interested in building a multi-client app for the Pre and are looking into it. My thoughts are that until the SDK is released, there may be very little they can do at the moment. Also, I asked if they were going to make a web based thing like BeeJive had for the iPhone as a temp solution while an app is created, and BeeJive is considering it.

I guess patience is the next step, but I did offer up my time and Pre to beta test if/when they develop a multi-client solution.
    [QUOTE=kryptik-pre;1706541]I've already reached out to my favorite 3 smartphone IM multi-client developers BeeJive, ShapeServices, and Mundu QUOTE]

If you have Classic you can use Mundu, I did test that out for almost all the services except AIM, as I said.

Rob

Of course, this is a temporary stop gap measure.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Pidgin, the universal chat client this use to be gaim

BUT Some VERY Interesting stuff here.. on compiling and running this baby!!!

This supports EVERY IM possible including facebook with a plugin!!

Installing Pidgin – Pidgin – Trac
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    It won't be very hard for them to add it. If I recall correctly, on the list of opensource applications, Palm lists libpurple. libpurple is the library that is used in pidgin. So it's not hard for them to add a lot of different protocols.
    Dumb question here: does the AIM Client on the Pre work with a ICQ UIN for anyone? I alwas get an error message about server not available
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    For me Yahoo IM and Facebook are a must have. I will give it another week or so,, but then the phone is going back. Without certain features, the Pre become Prehistoric (for me).
    FYI- Mundu has a Palm Pre beta version that you can access at www(dot)eims2(dot)mundu(dot)com
    The site works well and handles my Yahoo IM quite well. Hope it helps for some of you until we get a stand alone application
    sorry forgot to mention it supports msn messenger, gtalk, yahoo messenger and aim.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast