1.    #1  
    There has been some talk about the lack of, or the need for, a virtual keyboard on the Palm Pre...especially when surfing the web in landscape mode.

So my though is why not create a virtual on screen "palm pilot graffiti" app that you can toggle on and off?
    That way one can write (or gesture) an URL into the browser (or text into other apps) without the need to use a keyboard?
    You just write directly onto the screen...it would most likely be slower than using the keyboard but still quite useful when you just need to write a couple of words...

...and it would be a neat homage to older Palm devices

For those of you who havent used the palm pilot graffiti style of writing here is a reference card.

Last edited by moody; 06/12/2009 at 12:03 PM.
    +100 Needs to have a stylus too
    Sounds do-able (by Palm). Wouldn't want to have to use a stylus though.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    The problem is that all the Palm employees who understood the value of this input method don't work there any more. The Palm of today would view Graffiti as little more than a low-priority novelty.

IMHO the Palm, Inc. of today gets far more priority and design cues from Cupertino than from their own corporate successes.

Still, I'd LOVE Graffiti 1 on a Pre!!
    This would be way better than an on screen keyboard and a real shot at the iPhone too.
    The Pre has a capacitative touchscreen; stylus input isn't an option anyway. It's fingertips or nothing.

Graffiti input (not Graffiti2) would be a fantastic way to further differentiate the Pre from the iPhone. (I, too, have come to suspect that the infusion of so much ex-Apple blood at Palm has diluted the passion for making Palm devices that are PDAs rather than carnival fun houses.) However, I'm sure there are too many legal hurdles in the way for Palm to officially bring Graffiti back.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    The Pre has a capacitative touchscreen; stylus input isn't an option anyway. It's fingertips or nothing.
    Actually, there are Capacitive styli.

Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Graffiti input (not Graffiti2) would be a fantastic way to further differentiate the Pre from the iPhone. (I, too, have come to suspect that the infusion of so much ex-Apple blood at Palm has diluted the passion for making Palm devices that are PDAs rather than carnival fun houses.) However, I'm sure there are too many legal hurdles in the way for Palm to officially bring Graffiti back.
    Yep. Palm was forced, legally, to transition to Graffiti 2. I don't think there is any way they can release graffiti 1 anything.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Yep. Palm was forced, legally, to transition to Graffiti 2. I don't think there is any way they can release graffiti 1 anything.
    Long after the conversion to Graffiti 2 (in order to avoid the possibility of increasing royalty payments to Xerox if they lost the multi-year lawsuit) Palm ended up WINNING. Even though Graffiti 2 was less reliable, it was easier for novices to "learn" since it was much closer to standard printing. And besides, G1 was discontinued at that point.

Legally Palm could have gone back to Graffiti 1 or could have offered both versions in a single device, but they were already well on their way to implementing thumb keyboards at that point and Graffiti of any kind was "old" technology. They let G1 and G2 both die, though they still own the patents for both.

Unfortunately I think this is all pointless trivia these days because, as I mentioned above, I don't think Palm is trying to do much more than beat Apple. I'm pretty confident that they (unlike me) don't view Graffiti as a powerful tool in that fight.

Then again, I could be wrong if the Graffiti rights are owned by ACCESS. Hey... maybe ACCESS could write Graffiti for the Pre *begin pipedream*
    Last edited by larnapp; 08/12/2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Just thought about ACCESS
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Long after the conversion to Graffiti 2 (in order to avoid the possibility of increasing royalty payments to Xerox if they lost the multi-year lawsuit) Palm ended up WINNING. Even though Graffiti 2 was less reliable, it was easier for novices to "learn" since it was much closer to standard printing. And besides, G1 was discontinued at that point.
    Did not know that. Interesting. Always thought graffiti was great for writing while driving without having to even look at the phone. Would work great with a full screen.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Count me as someone else who really wants G1 on the Pre. While there are styli (I have one), the amount of friction the necessary rubber tips generate makes smooth writing impossible, so it would have to be fingertip, which would be fine. {ProfJonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter