1.    #1  
    Why only a 7 day trial for Classic?

I set it up and did have a chance to move my memo's and a few programs. However I have not really had time to play with it aside from those.

I also wanted to see what the next patch will be like. Since it will expire already tomorrow I am stuck. I am just not sure I want to buy it just yet. I probably will but a 30 day trial would have been much better especially for a $30 program. If it was $20 I would just get it now probably.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post

I set it up and did have a chance to move my memo's and a few programs. However I have not really had time to play with it aside from those.

I also wanted to see what the next patch will be like. Since it will expire already tomorrow I am stuck. I am just not sure I want to buy it just yet. I probably will but a 30 day trial would have been much better especially for a $30 program. If it was $20 I would just get it now probably.
    Just long enough for you to make sure it works, likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post

that's way too much for that program and its not something i need that much if it was $10 i would maybe buy it but i have a hard time paying that much for something that is still in a beta stage
    I also feel like it's expensive for how much I'd be likely to use it. I only looked at it as a way to add some functionality I had on my Windows Mobile PDA, but I've basically decided to wait and watch the App store for the programs I need, rather than find something to work with Classic.
  5.    #5  
    I broke down and bought it. I did need it for my Strip password program and reading my E-books in iSilo. I also use Calorie King Daily..

I do not regret it as it seems like a good program, if they add the zoom feature.

I just think it should have been $20. Oh well. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    StyleTap has a 14 day trial and costs $49.95 - not a Pre application though.
    I think part of it is that MotionApps needs to make money on it before a ton of applications start coming in for the Pre. By giving you only a 7 day trial, they're pretty much guaranteeing that you'll need to buy it before a lot of apps are made for the Pre. The more applications that start coming in, the less and less that people will actually need Classic.
    I think part of it is that MotionApps needs to make money on it before a ton of applications start coming in for the Pre. By giving you only a 7 day trial, they're pretty much guaranteeing that you'll need to buy it before a lot of apps are made for the Pre. The more applications that start coming in, the less and less that people will actually need Classic.
    Good point, but I didn't get to play with it, because I couldn't get it installed properly and now that I finally have it installed, it has expired. I only had one day to play with it and I needed three apps to work. myBible, DTG, and Mobipocket. I got myBible to work, but nothing else. I'm reluctant to buy it w/o being sure that the apps will work. Any other apps would be a plus, but I really need the other two.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Good point, but I didn't get to play with it, because I couldn't get it installed properly and now that I finally have it installed, it has expired. I only had one day to play with it and I needed three apps to work. myBible, DTG, and Mobipocket. I got myBible to work, but nothing else. I'm reluctant to buy it w/o being sure that the apps will work. Any other apps would be a plus, but I really need the other two.
    I was finally able to get Mobipocket to work AND see my ebooks but it was so buggy and crashed Classic a couple of times. When the Classic trial expired yesterday I just deleted the app. I'll hold out for a "real" ebook ready to come out on the Pre (I don't count Shortcovers as it is too buggy right now).
    Rather than pay $30 for classic, I'm thinking of picking up a used 755p to use until more apps for webOS come out. Not returning my Pre, just thinking of delaying my own real life transition. I know I'm a big baby and at least I know palmOS and can be productive with it NOW. The Pre is getting to be way too much of a time suck for me.
    I hope that this isn't too long of a post, I never know now adays if anyone will read long posts (I typically get complaints when I make long posts). I agree about the trial time being too little. They really cheaped out the consumer on that aspect. Simply put if you were a big palmOS user you don't have enough time to evaluate if classic will be able to replace your palmOS PDA or smartphone for the palmOS apps you used on it. I was bearly able to install and try a few of the apps I used and due to errors (classic or user mistake in how to add them) I couldn't even test them enough to know if buying classic will be a waste of my money and time. Not only do I think the trial should be longer It seems to me that until a majority of the palmOS apps are tested and work in it they should offer a public beta test program for people to continually test palmOS apps in classic and communicate with motionapps to work out the kinks. If half or more of the apps you used on palmOS can't run in classic then to me that indicates a product that is not ready to be out of beta and be charged for or at least not have a public beta program for those who are in situations as such and need work to be done on classic so their apps do work and justifies buying classic.

Here is a list of apps I used on my T5 (from top to bottom most essential to least ones with an * are my most used & indicates bought):

&*Uninstall (northglide) (package deal if i recall for the northglide apps)
    &*Cleanup (northglide)
    &OnGuard Backup (northglide)
    &Undo (northglide)
    *BackupMan (automated backup this was a life saver when a major disaster happened and I needed to restore my T5 as if the disaster never happened)
    FileZ (freeware file explorer essencial for moving and copying stuff would be fine using any freeware one on classic)
    &*SplashMoney (will like have a native pre app)
    *Convertor (freeware)
    Timesheet (freeware hours tracking for job etc, pre calendar may work just fine as a replacement)
    MediaMan (freeware)
    Database (mobisystems)
    &MMPlayer (no need for this on classic since pre has media players/apps)

Misc apps I see no reason to use in classic for most of these there are others not even worth mentioning because they are useless used in classic:

DALauncher
    FontSub ( reduce text size in apps that font was too big)
    Colorize (color themes for looks)
    McPhling (quick switch between recently used apps)
    MySkin (another for looks thing)

Games for quick moments of passing time boredom while waiting in lines or what not from most to least played:

Patience (freeware aka Patience revisited 5.0)
    Bejeweled 2 (astraware)
    Pyramid, Crazy 8's, Euchre, Rummy (all by seahorse software)
    &Legacy (redshift?)
    Backgammon (handmark)
    Space Trader (freeware)
    ChessGenius (lang software)
    FreeJongg (freeware)
    Tetris (handmark)

I installed classic and added the following apps to classic. Uninstall and cleanup 1st (tracks installed apps so that you can cleanup garbage or remove things if something goes wrong with an app etc). They have pdb files and I just now found out about the procedure for dealing with those kinds of apps after the fact the trial is up (which is another reason 30 day or larger trial is a must). Despite the problems associated with pdb files for those two apps I moved onto some freeware apps I used. My 1st thought was fileZ so I could moved the pdb files to the emulated internal memory instead of the emulated SD card (since they need to be on internal). To find out that fileZ doesn't see the emulated internal memory and SD card so as far as it is concerned the internal memory and SD card are absent (physically not there which is funny since the app is running the memory must be there). So I am like well perhaps another one will work and I can look for it later lets test some of the other stuff I used a lot. And so I started with useful day to day life apps instead of games for passing time. I added converter (really is the most handy thing I used almost every day). I was please to see it loaded up and appears to work just fine. So I moved on to most used game patience to get a BSOD about some sort of this app killed the OS you need to start over or some such thing. Major disappointment there since I'd be shocked to see such a comprehensive and professional looking compilation of solitaire games be freeware on the pre since it seems common place to charge $10 per individual game or a high price for a package deal of still less games than this freeware app has. At this point I kept messing around to try and get these apps to work before I moved on to trying to get uninstall and cleanup to internal memory with their pdb files so that I could use them and load the rest of the apps on classic. To my dismay the trial is up and I had barely enough time to do anything with it.

This leads me to a final point. I'd like to be able to load up all the apps I still want to use but use them on classic on the pre so I don't have to carry my T5 around with me any more. But in order to do that and have ample time to test that classic can replace my T5 I'm afraid 30 days if not much longer is needed and I'm certainly not going to pay $30 for the test time and possibly find out that it can't replace my T5 until such time as bugs are fixed or changes made so that each app works. In other words I'm not going to buy an app to beta test it for them. Which is why they need a public beta test program for those people like me who are encountering issues with apps that if they use classic to replace their old palmOS devices but are having a lot of problems getting things started that the trial time is simply not sufficient to accommodate the trouble let alone time that passes while not being able to use the apps keeping classic from replacing their old palmOS device.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emike2k3 View Post
    I was finally able to get Mobipocket to work AND see my ebooks but it was so buggy and crashed Classic a couple of times. When the Classic trial expired yesterday I just deleted the app. I'll hold out for a "real" ebook ready to come out on the Pre (I don't count Shortcovers as it is too buggy right now).
    I was just looking into trying this. Being new to the phone and not having been a Palm phone user before this, can you give me some tips on how to install MobiPocket in Classic?
    Short version - regret spending the $30 - make sure you test everything you wanted ported over. I carry my "dead" Treo for a couple of programs.

- Had to have splash ID, beta came out soon enough to get bye
    - Wanted it for Express - does not work.
    - Liked it for Bejeweled, too cumbersome to use with finger, miss music.
    - Needed it for spelling dictionary, but is so slow by the time I open, can almost as easily look it up on google.
    - Wanted it for Financial Calculator, but can't find the preference for registration on Treo to port over to Pre
    I have wasted way too much time with it - has been very difficult to get programs with mutliple databases and preferences files loaded.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    i hope the high price puts pressure on the 3rd parties to just make webOS apps instead of making customers pay the $30