Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    don't waste your time with companionlink. I have tried for THREE weeks to get it to work. I get 4 error messages. I have spent HOURS with tech people. They have me send logs and do not return phone calls or emails. The latest is my trial is over and they want me to BUY it to continue trying to get it to work! They will not even extend the trial period even though I keep getting error messages. Horrible tech support.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knauerhase View Post
    EEsucks - there are a number of things that might cause that; so it might be premature to jump at Chapura just yet. (I do, however, think that they can/should do a little better with their error messages, for just this reason). Are you certain that the Pre isn't in airplane mode, and that the Wifi is on and connected to an access point that your computer is connected to (wired or wireless)?

Not only has WiFi been working for me, but I have the synch working over Bluetooth (with the PAN profile, without tethering). Not as fast as wifi, but pretty cool.

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Chapura, other than using their stuff since the early Palm days. To me, it's like democracy -- by no means perfect, but better than any other system we've found yet. )

Rob
    Thanks for the advice Rob. I'm certain that airplane mode is off, that would be an obvious issue. The funny thing is that the program worked perfectly for the first couple of days exactly as advertised and I loved it. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for the past three weeks and I'm at a loss at how to solve it.

I even disabled the firewall on my router to see if that would help. It didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpezie View Post
    I asked Chapura about added the ability to synch Notes and this is was there response.

We do hope to add Outlook Tasks and Outlook Notes sync at some point in
    the future.

The needed interface for us to be able to synchronize with these
    applications is currently not available. When that functionality is
    available we will updated or product to provided task and note
    synchronization.

So I think once they can actually see Pre code they will be able to add everything that we desire and should've had not to mention fix the logic that's causing the duplicates.
    Hey, that must be scripted or automated. I got the exact message, with same errors! At least they are consistent. I asked for both Tasks and Notes.
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum, and I think I read this message in the Chapura threads. I just downloaded the Beta version from Pocketmirror. Its syncs both Outlook Calendar and Outlook Contacts beautifully using wi/fi. It does not want to be plugged in. I did use the USB to get some other files brought over, and that went well. I'm sad they do not yet have Tasks and Notes. Those are high on my list of need soon!
    no update on this? mine doesnt sync both ways (only outlook to Pre, not back) and doesnt copy photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    no update on this? mine doesnt sync both ways (only outlook to Pre, not back) and doesnt copy photos
    I suspect that if you don't see it syncing both ways, you are updating a contact that is not in the Outlook Account that PocketMirror created. Or it's a field tied to one of the other Accounts (i.e. Google, Facebook, etc.). It does sync both ways between the Pre and Outlook, but only within it's own Account. It does NOT combine or consolidate any of the other Accounts on the Pre into Outlook (thankfully). That's only done by the Pre. I would guess that it is for a reason and I for one would not want it to do that anyway.

I don't think there is photo support yet but you can e-mail Chapura to put in a feature request.
    what do u mean updating a contact that is not in the outlook account? i thought that was the whole idea of syncing. like if a created a contact in my Pre i want it to be created in Outlook as well, and stay in sync..... and what do u mean "own account"

again, if i make a NewContact1 on my Pre phone, when i use pocket mirror, i want it to creat a NewContact1 in my Outlook contacts. Isnt that the true meaning of syncing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    again, if i make a NewContact1 on my Pre phone, when i use pocket mirror, i want it to creat a NewContact1 in my Outlook contacts. Isnt that the true meaning of syncing?
    Absolutely, and it will, if you create NewContact1 on the Pre and assign it to the Outlook account created by PocketMirror.

You need to understand how Palm implements it's idea of Synergy. The Pre brings all of the information together in one "view" in the Contacts app via Accounts. The Accounts are really where the information "lives", i.e. Google, Facebook, Outlook, etc.

Open the Contacts app, go to the menu and select Preference & Accounts. In the Accounts section you will see at a minimum a Palm Profile account and an Outlook account since you installed PocketMirror. If you brought in contacts from Google or another source, you will see an account listed for those as well, note the icon image next to each one. Below that is a Default account. The Default Account is where a contact will go when you create new ones on the Pre if you don't specify one at the time you add it. If you never changed it when you got the phone, it is probably set to Palm Profile. Since I want any Contact created on my Pre to go to Outlook, I set Outlook as my Default Account. Since you want all the new contacts you create on the Pre to get synced back to Outlook, you should do the same.

How do you control which account the contact gets created in if you don't want it going to the Default Account? When you add a new contact, tap on the icon that is on the far right of the Name field. A dropdown will appear and you tap on the icon that represents the account where you want it to go. No, it does not appear that the Pre will let you create the new contact in multiple accounts yet.

How do you tell where the contact info "lives" or which account it belongs to? Open a contact and click on the picture icon in the upper right corner. A pane will expand and show all of the accounts (one or more) from where the Pre pulled the information. If you have a contact that you created on the Pre and it isn't syncing back to Outlook, I would bet that you created it in either the Palm Profile account or some other one, like Google or Facebook (if you use those).

If you Edit the contact, and it has information from multiple accounts (there will be a number in the lower left corner of the picture), you might see a phone number or e-mail address listed more than once. The icon to the left of the number tells you which account the number, e-mail address, etc. came from.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by WoodWulf; 08/06/2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    ever since the pre app update i cannot get my sync to work at all anyone else having issues? i have installed and reinstalled on my desktop but i get an error upon start up

mt
    mt,

Are you getting a error on the desktop from the sync manager? If so, check the Startup folder for your Windows login and the one for All Users. If there is a shortcut for the SyncManager.exe in both, it will cause an error on startup. I had that and removed one of them, then everything was ok.
    I had a problem getting my PocketMirror to work after I installed MyTether. I had to go into MyTether and turn off USBnet, and downloaded PocketMirror again (both on phone and on computer), and now it works fine.
    I had decided to keep the original Beta release since after reading the comments about the updates it seemed like the newer releases were more of a problem, then after Chapura's most recent blunder of posting an "update" to Palm's App catalog that was a 7 day trial, when at the time there was NO information on their site about purchase pricing. So today when I tried to do a sync the early Beta version accessed my OUTbound internet contacted Chapura and was somehow converted to the 7 day trial, even though i have not downloaded the beta update that discloses the 7 day trial. In my opinion that constitutes not only network hacking by the program but software and device hacking by chapura. As for their great technical support, they only have a simple "web form" which by the way does not even have pull down selections for WebOS or PRE programs at this point. They don't even publish their phone number on their website, sounds like a shady company to me, and $30 for a program that is barely out of beta and still has serious issues is just crazy, Im almost at the point of losing my early termination fee and getting an Iphone, even though Apple completely disgusts me. I am refering all my gathered info to the California PUC and State Attorney General in hopes they will enjoin and shut down Chapura and the Pre App catalog until the disclosure issues are addressed.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    That seems a bit unrealistic. They didn't have to hack your device, they would have just had to put in code that checks for updates. The Chapura program you had to download and install on your PC was clearly labeled as a beta, and I think the Pre app was as well. They sell a lot of other programs and have been around a while; there are news releases on their site dating back to 1999. It's not uncommon for software companies to not have a contact phone number on their site, so they don't get deluded with tech support calls on a non-tech support number. They do give an address (in Mobile, Alabama) and contact emails which is more than some.

There is room for improvement, sure, but I think much of what you are saying is unfounded.
    I spoke with Chapura and they are not offering any upgrade discounts for customers who purchased earlier versions of Pocket Mirror to work on older Palms....I find this as a bad move for them, as PM might be a nice little app, but it really is not needed with the Pre, I can sync to Gmail, and Outlook EAS w/o having to purchase a $30 product. True, my contacts at home might not be the most up to date. But I cannot see paying $30 for a product that has less functionality that the product I used to use, that is not syncing tasks and notes.

So I hope others would join in and speak their mind to Chapura and see if we can get an upgrade special. I mean the software we purchased just a few months ago, is sitting in 01010101 heaven and no longer being used now that we have the Pre.

And Echo? Are there really people out there that use the PIM from the Palm Desktop?

Mike (past-Chapura customer)
    It appears that Chapura is listening to people's feedback and concerns. I noticed that they updated their website today. The PocketMirror page now states:
    "Tasks and Notes sync will be a FREE upgrade when available."

I also noticed they put more connection details at the bottom in the "How it Works" section.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    That's a start. Now that Mark/Space has a public log of their progress for Windows ( The Missing Sync for Palm Pre, for Windows XP and Windows Vista ), and has listed out their planned functionality, I would love to see Chapura counter with a little more information about their own progress. Wondering whether to buy Chapura or wait a bit....
    Just outrageous, for an app that doesn't even sync memos and tasks. I mean, really: thirty frikkin dollars?
    you "spoke" with Chapura? what number do you have? I have tried several including ones from the Alabama dept of corporations who were annoyed that none of the provided numbers on the corporate filing were working for their officers James Chappelle or Dorothy Purpura or Keith Ellenberg... if you have a working number I would really appreciate it, there are serious issues about thier software sending and receiving data not authorized by the device owner. oh BTW even the number for Chapura from the Alabama better business bureau was disconnected.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreCrapura View Post
    there are serious issues about thier software sending and receiving data not authorized by the device owner
    I have issues with sync'ing other ways via the cloud - I in no way wish to put my data on Google about my life, contacts, schedule, etc, and give them access to that. Syncing via a local wifi is much more secure. (and no, I don't wear tinfoil hats ...)

I have emailed Chapura on the notes and tasks, and they stated they have to wait until Palm changes something in the OS. I mentioned to them that $30 w/o those two items is too much to charge, and I will wait. I doubt if they'll drop the price meanwhile for this limited functionality.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreCrapura View Post
    you "spoke" with Chapura? what number do you have? I have tried several including ones from the Alabama dept of corporations who were annoyed that none of the provided numbers on the corporate filing were working for their officers James Chappelle or Dorothy Purpura or Keith Ellenberg... if you have a working number I would really appreciate it, there are serious issues about thier software sending and receiving data not authorized by the device owner. oh BTW even the number for Chapura from the Alabama better business bureau was disconnected.
    They seem pretty good about answering their email, if there is a serious issue I would let them know that way.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast