Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I use to have all my calendar stuff in iCal, I use the address book, and my Mac has been my data "home" for some time now.

Apple has thoughtfully allowed me to migrate to the Pre quite well. Albeit, inadvertently, their software is a huge boon to the Pre because of their open integration to other clouds. I'd say it's easier for a Mac user to go Pre than a PC user.

In the past on my Nokia E71 I would use the Nokia iSync plugin and do a USB/bluetooth sync to get all my stuff update. The only time data moved was when I was near my computer.

So I looked into the Pre and how to migrate my data, fully expecting this to be a big hassle. See my wife has her own calendar stuff that we sync'd via MobileMe so that we could see each other's schedules. This worked, and still works quite well... with MobileMe removed a bit.

See iCal has a very robust webdav feature that allows you to have a full two-way sync between iCal and Google Calendars. I was able to import my iCal data into Google Calendar, then simply tell Google Calendar to point to my wife's calendar on MobileMe.

My Address Book supports syncing with Gmail, and this allows me to micro-manage all my contacts just as I normally would, subverting the well known problem that most Gmail users have of getting the tech support agent they emailed 3 years ago added to their address book. Apple's syncing engine is very good at weeding out the automated gmail entries, and contacts I actually add through the "my contacts" area of Gmail are the only contacts that make it through to Address Book.

When I got the Pre and setup to sync with Google, it was all there. My contacts showed up, my calendar entries showed up, everything. When I added a contact and calendar entry, I checked iCal and Address Book they were there.

This solution is a tad more manual on iCal end than MobileMe, but it works! Headache-free cloud syncing. My wife gets all my entries, I see all hers, as they update.

I never needed Palm's migration tool, though that was a thoughtful touch.

That and Palm being willing to HACK iTunes is really great. I upgraded my library a while ago and the only movies in my library were from DVD rips that I encoded using iPod Touch settings. Everything works fine on the Pre, movies play without problem and they look fantastic.

iPhoto also syncs and picks up on the geotags.

The consumer, benefitted from open standards...and well...a company willing to hack another company's stuff...hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardoreal View Post
    I use to have all my calendar stuff in iCal, I use the address book, and my Mac has been my data "home" for some time now.

Apple has thoughtfully allowed me to migrate to the Pre quite well. Albeit, inadvertently, their software is a huge boon to the Pre because of their open integration to other clouds. I'd say it's easier for a Mac user to go Pre than a PC user.

In the past on my Nokia E71 I would use the Nokia iSync plugin and do a USB/bluetooth sync to get all my stuff update. The only time data moved was when I was near my computer.

So I looked into the Pre and how to migrate my data, fully expecting this to be a big hassle. See my wife has her own calendar stuff that we sync'd via MobileMe so that we could see each other's schedules. This worked, and still works quite well... with MobileMe removed a bit.

See iCal has a very robust webdav feature that allows you to have a full two-way sync between iCal and Google Calendars. I was able to import my iCal data into Google Calendar, then simply tell Google Calendar to point to my wife's calendar on MobileMe.

My Address Book supports syncing with Gmail, and this allows me to micro-manage all my contacts just as I normally would, subverting the well known problem that most Gmail users have of getting the tech support agent they emailed 3 years ago added to their address book. Apple's syncing engine is very good at weeding out the automated gmail entries, and contacts I actually add through the "my contacts" area of Gmail are the only contacts that make it through to Address Book.

When I got the Pre and setup to sync with Google, it was all there. My contacts showed up, my calendar entries showed up, everything. When I added a contact and calendar entry, I checked iCal and Address Book they were there.

This solution is a tad more manual on iCal end than MobileMe, but it works! Headache-free cloud syncing. My wife gets all my entries, I see all hers, as they update.

I never needed Palm's migration tool, though that was a thoughtful touch.

That and Palm being willing to HACK iTunes is really great. I upgraded my library a while ago and the only movies in my library were from DVD rips that I encoded using iPod Touch settings. Everything works fine on the Pre, movies play without problem and they look fantastic.

iPhoto also syncs and picks up on the geotags.

The consumer, benefitted from open standards...and well...a company willing to hack another company's stuff...hahaha
    That's great to hear! I'm a Mac user who hasn't gotten a Pre yet and in the same boat (have MobileMe but would like to sync with Address Book and iCal).

First question: With iTunes did you select iPhoto pictures to be added? If so, do you have original size or does optimized work? I ask because it's been mentioned on the forum that you have to use original size for it to be viewable.

Second question: I know MobileMe supports IMAP idle but I would just like a confirmation of being able to receive email "As it arrives".

Thanks!
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/09/2009 at 08:42 AM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    A side benefit of having an ex-Apple team working on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    That's great to hear! I'm a Mac user who hasn't gotten a Pre yet and in the same boat (have MobileMe but would like to sync with Address Book and iCal).

First question: With iTunes did you select iPhoto pictures to be added? If so, do you have original size or does optimized work? I ask because it's been mentioned on the forum that you have to use original size for it to be viewable.

Second question: I know MobileMe supports IMAP idle but I would just like a confirmation of being able to receive email "As it arrives".

Thanks!
    Alright, on iTunes I tried adding the photos, and you do have to use original size. The Pre spoofs iTunes into thinking it's an iPod classic. Optimizing pictures doesn't work.

As for MobileMe, yes it supports idle, and I can select the option "As it arrives". It works fine and it pushes to the Pre. It's also really easy on the battery, it doesn't behave like Hotmail. Oh also, it auto-sets up. You don't need to enter in the imap settings.
    If you do not have MobileMe another great solution is BusySync, it syncs iCal and gCal.
    So, I found the checkbox for "Sync with Google," but I'm not sure that it's actually going. Do you do anything special to trigger a sync? Is it at a timed interval? I'm not even positive that my Pre is syncing with Google anyway, but I share your preference for having my Mac be the Source of Truth in my world, and just using Google as an intermediary.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    So, I found the checkbox for "Sync with Google," but I'm not sure that it's actually going. Do you do anything special to trigger a sync? Is it at a timed interval? I'm not even positive that my Pre is syncing with Google anyway, but I share your preference for having my Mac be the Source of Truth in my world, and just using Google as an intermediary.
    There's a background daemon in OSX that handles your address book sync and I believe it's on an interval basis. I don't have to do anything to prompt a sync. I added a test contact on the Pre, and by the time I went to check address book it was there. Granted, it was like 5 minutes, but still.
    There's a background daemon in OSX that handles your address book sync and I believe it's on an interval basis. I don't have to do anything to prompt a sync. I added a test contact on the Pre, and by the time I went to check address book it was there. Granted, it was like 5 minutes, but still.
    That's what I assumed, but my Google searches turned up a lot of the old "fool iTunes into thinking your iPod is an iPhone so it will sync" pages, so I wasn't sure if it was tied to syncing an iPhone or if they turned it on for "the rest of us." The only bit of MobileMe that has ever worked for me was the Address Book and iCal syncing, so I was skeptical when I didn't see things sync. Patience, I guess.

Thanks for the answer, though.
    Alright, on iTunes I tried adding the photos, and you do have to use original size. The Pre spoofs iTunes into thinking it's an iPod classic. Optimizing pictures doesn't work.

As for MobileMe, yes it supports idle, and I can select the option "As it arrives". It works fine and it pushes to the Pre. It's also really easy on the battery, it doesn't behave like Hotmail. Oh also, it auto-sets up. You don't need to enter in the imap settings.
    Thanks. That's great that it even auto setups MobileMe too. A couple more questions about iPhoto syncing. I'm guessing it does this but it doesn't hurt to ask; does it put photos in albums?

Since original size picture take up so much more pictures have you tried to put in smaller photos manually through the USB disk mode? If so, do folders work as albums?

I'm obviously interested in bringing around some photos with me. lol. I'm just used to having 2800 or so recent pics on my iPod Touch and would be willing to cut that down in half when I get the Pre.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Thanks. That's great that it even auto setups MobileMe too. A couple more questions about iPhoto syncing. I'm guessing it does this but it doesn't hurt to ask; does it put photos in albums?

Since original size picture take up so much more pictures have you tried to put in smaller photos manually through the USB disk mode? If so, do folders work as albums?

I'm obviously interested in bringing around some photos with me. lol. I'm just used to having 2800 or so recent pics on my iPod Touch and would be willing to cut that down in half when I get the Pre.
    In USB mode it works, but you'd want to export them via iPhoto. Folders do seem to make their own albums.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hey, glad to hear a success story! I've been battling this for a few days now (never used any of the g-stuff before). In iCal I get the error about the server not supporting... and so it only goes from mac<-google cal, not the other way around, meaning I wind up with two sets of appointments on my iMac & cannot schedule anything on the iMac if i want it on the phone.

May I ask how you managed to get the two way going? I've searched all the google help forii on the error message (and here as well) and it seems to be a fairly common & unresolved issue.

thanks!
    In USB mode it works, but you'd want to export them via iPhoto. Folders do seem to make their own albums.
    GREAT! Thanks again! Yeah I was thinking the large setting in iPhoto is perfect for file size and viewing size so I can zoom in without it being pixelated.

Quote Originally Posted by techdef View Post
    Hey, glad to hear a success story! I've been battling this for a few days now (never used any of the g-stuff before). In iCal I get the error about the server not supporting... and so it only goes from mac<-google cal, not the other way around, meaning I wind up with two sets of appointments on my iMac & cannot schedule anything on the iMac if i want it on the phone.

May I ask how you managed to get the two way going? I've searched all the google help forii on the error message (and here as well) and it seems to be a fairly common & unresolved issue.

thanks!
    Ardoreal setup WebDAV on Google to be able to sync both ways.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techdef View Post

thanks!
    Yes, as EeZeEpEe noted, that's the solution I used. It works like a charm, and it gives not only Google Calendar a two way sync, but the Pre two way syncs to iCal that way.
    I have to agree, I had a Treo 800w, and then got a macbook, I was able to sync my 800w over to my Mac, then I synced my mac to google, it made the transition to the Pre super easy.. All my info went to the pre without any problems. Very easy transition..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  16. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    To the OP:
    What OS are you using and had you used PalmDesktop before or say Missing Sync? I use PalmDesktop with the iSync conduit (unwisely) bec I plan to buy MissingSync when the Pre version comes out. But I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A side benefit of having an ex-Apple team working on the Pre.
    Agreed. I have to admit I got a little over excited when I heard the news.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    To the OP:
    What OS are you using and had you used PalmDesktop before or say Missing Sync? I use PalmDesktop with the iSync conduit (unwisely) bec I plan to buy MissingSync when the Pre version comes out. But I was curious.

Agreed. I have to admit I got a little over excited when I heard the news.
    When I had a Centro I used PalmDesktop once, briefly, and then promptly erased all traces of it from my system. It's horrible, old, clunky, and it's not a UB - GONE.

The iSync conduit was not very good either, so I ended up using Missing Sync.

I've used Blackberry (Pocketmac, and missing sync for mac), Winmo (Eltima Syncmate and Missing Sync), Palm (as above), and most recently Symbian (which out of all of these was the best, because Nokia took the time to develop an extremely robust iSync module).

Out of all those platforms, I much prefer WebOS' sync...or rather lack thereof. For my iTunes I just plug it in and sync right from iTunes. For my PIM stuff, it was there in the first place hence no need to "sync".

Once you have it setup, it's really like MobileMe. It works, and it works really well...well except the whole "free" thing

See MobileMe users have got this luxury, and it's something that you understandably don't appreciate as much until you have it. Once you have it, however, the "other way" seems completely retarded and stone age.

PC users that aren't familiar with EAS really have a hard time abstracting this, unless they've had some exposure to other phones that Sync to Google, but even then, the method described above seamlessly works in tandem with your desktop experience inside of your apps. Through Google and Apple supporting the same standard, Mac users getting the Pre are in for a real treat...moreso than most PC users.

Originally I planned like you were to just get Missing Sync, but...I'm not missing anything!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    You know, one other way is via Palm's transfer assistant found here.

What this does is "sync" your info to your phone, but then your phone will ask you to setup an online service to sync to. Since OSX supports connecting to these services directly, it's easy to just do that as well.
    Can we resize the photos when they are synced from iPhoto to the Pre? I dont think i can fit all my photos in 8gb, let alone i still have music to put in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Can we resize the photos when they are synced from iPhoto to the Pre? I dont think i can fit all my photos in 8gb, let alone i still have music to put in there.
    No. As mentioned above the photos synced with iPhoto must be original size. What you can do is export them with iPhoto's size "Large" and quality "high" settings and then put them into folders on the Pre. At 1280x960 the photos will be big enough to zoom in yet not take up a lot of space. Also I think trying to fit all your photos is a bit overkill especially once you start to have tens of thousands of photos.

Edit:
    Actually I'm going to try 3MP (2000x1500) because I figured this is about the iPhone/iPod Touch optimized equivalent.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/10/2009 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast