1.    #1  
    Just as the title says...does it work? I have Classic as a trial, and do not own DTG, but need something that works. The only on-board option we, as you know, is to simply view Office files. I need to be able to edit them in the field. I've never used Documents To Go so I'm not even sure if it's a good program or if there are better alternatives.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    Just as the title says...does it work? I have Classic as a trial, and do not own DTG, but need something that works. The only on-board option we, as you know, is to simply view Office files. I need to be able to edit them in the field. I've never used Documents To Go so I'm not even sure if it's a good program or if there are better alternatives.
    I tried it and it worked with a BIG caveat. Classic files, even the ones in its virtual SD Card, don't seem to be accessible in USB mode. So you can draft in DTG and save it and next time you are in Classic you can open it again. But I see no way to get it off the Pre and onto your computer or attached to an email.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wjclint View Post
    I tried it and it worked with a BIG caveat. Classic files, even the ones in its virtual SD Card, don't seem to be accessible in USB mode. So you can draft in DTG and save it and next time you are in Classic you can open it again. But I see no way to get it off the Pre and onto your computer or attached to an email.
    I got a tech support response from Motion Apps. If you use a file explorer like FileZ or Resco you can copy or move your database files to the /PALM/Launcher/ folder on the "storage card." Then when you are in USB mode the files you put there are accessible. I confirmed this with my HanDBase database file and was able to copy it to the /PALM/Launcher/ folder, pull the file to my computer in USB mode, and then open it with HandDBase Desktop.
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Which version and type of Documents to Go are you using? I have several versions, and haven't had luck installing any.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Which version and type of Documents to Go are you using? I have several versions, and haven't had luck installing any.
    I just created a short Excel file in DTG 10.002 and saved it. I was able to move it to the "storage card" with FileZ and pull it off onto my computer's desktop. However, it is still a .pdb file and unlike with HanDBase I don't have a program that I can use to open it.
    I just created a short Excel file in DTG 10.002 and saved it. I was able to move it to the "storage card" with FileZ and pull it off onto my computer's desktop. However, it is still a .pdb file and unlike with HanDBase I don't have a program that I can use to open it.
    does this happen even if you save it as an excel file? as a word file?
    How did you install DTG? I thought I had all the files in the right folders to install properly but whenever I try to start any program from within the DTG startup screen I get an error message saying the program isn't installed.
    Filez works? It didn't before. Must try again.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    If you have a recent version of D2G that uses native files, you can do this, if you have your old D2G installer and your old palm: Act like you're going to reinstall D2G on your PC again. Partway through installation go to the Palm installer and see what files it wants to install on your (old) palm. You can then cancel installation. Now use the FileZ program on your old Palm and find those same files that have been there all along in your old Palm, and copy them to the memory card on your old Palm. Now take those copied files and put them into the Classic installer. Voila! D2G is on your Pre in Classic. Put your Word docs and Spreadsheets into a folder on the Pre via USB mode. That new documents folder on your Pre can sync with your pc while you're in USB mode by using Microsoft's free "SyncToy" program. So you can edit docs in either device and then sync them. Only problem is your docs are all in one folder, but it works for me.

I should say I haven't tried to create new docs from within Classic, but there's no reason why you couldn't put some blank ones in the documents folder you created.
    Last edited by bugduk; 07/27/2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Forgot last sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugduk View Post
    Now use the FileZ program on your old Palm and find those same files that have been there all along in your old Palm, and copy them to the memory card on your old Palm. Now take those copied files and put them into the Classic installer. Voila! D2G is on your Pre in Classic. Put your Word docs and Spreadsheets into a folder on the Pre via USB mode.
    Is there any work around if you no longer have access to your old palm? The reason I bought a pre is because my centro died...Any ideas??

Thanks!
    Why can't you just save the document as a "native excel" file on DTG itself? Then you wouldn't have to worry about conversion or opening pdb files. In anycase, I know open source apps like AbiWord support pdb file format as stated here:

PluginMatrix - AbiWiki

However the whole process just seems to complicated imo. Why not try google docs mobile instead? Seems like a decent alternative:

m.google.com/docs

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions