1.    #1  
    Since pre browser is webkit based, anyone know if palm will be inheriting the speed gains that was just announced for the iphone 3.0 OS?

everything that happens in webkit should be inherited by the pre right?
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    Since pre browser is webkit based, anyone know if palm will be inheriting the speed gains that was just announced for the iphone 3.0 OS?

everything that happens in webkit should be inherited by the pre right?
    Hopefully that is the case. Currently iPhone 3.0 is using a newer version of WebKit and hopefully it will be getting updated really soon like first thing because I was getting really used to using the Google Mobile webapp and the Pre doesn't support them.
  3.    #3  
    one of the biggest strengths for the palm os is it's built out of linux and webkit and web standards, so i thought awesome any new trends/updates webkit, linux, html5 introduces will quickly get into webos. hope this is true, and palm doesn't only have yearly major updates.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I noticed a bit of improvement from the Pre's browser over Safari Mobile. Pages are definitely rendering faster and stuff like the facebook mobile site for iPhone works faster on the Pre than on my ipod touch. I think what happened is that webkit updates were contributed to by Apple, but Palm delivered first with the Pre. I think the codebase for the new Safari Mobile in iPhone OS 3 will be pretty similar to the Pre's webkit.
    The improvements for the iPhone 3GS are not just the iPhone OS3 upgrades but also a processor bump.

Gizmodo did a benchmark of the 3 browsers for JavaScript rendering, and the iPhone 3GS had the best performance, followed by the Pre, then the iPhone 3G.

Better Safari speed
    Safari on the 3GS is also noticeably faster than the 3G, but also faster than the Pre (which works on the same WebKit browser base). Loading Gizmodo, which has tons of images and a good deal of Javascript, the 3GS came in at 38 seconds, followed by the Pre at 57 seconds and the 3G at 59 seconds. This is all running off their respective 3G connections. It's also surprising that the 3GS cme in faster than the Pre, since the AT&T network is swamped thanks to all the WWDC attendees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infomofo View Post
    Gizmodo did a benchmark of the 3 browsers for JavaScript rendering, and the iPhone 3GS had the best performance, followed by the Pre, then the iPhone 3G.
    Gizmodo's also full of it, because it took takes their site 40-45 seconds on average to load on my Pre over EVDO, not 57.

More importantly though, while it does take longer for the page to finish rendering sometimes, 90% of sites are usable after 20 seconds. (Gizmodo's site spends that last 20-25 seconds rendering ads and the like).
  7.    #7  
    tend to agree gizmodo is pretty big iphone fanboys. i couldn't find the article that did the benchmark, link please.
    Last edited by sambao21; 06/09/2009 at 05:51 PM.
    If they really wanted to benchmark loading they would have to load a website over wifi where the speeds would be the same, and it wouldn't be going through 2 different networks, and loading a site loaded with traffic probably getting served by multiple servers.

Too many variables to interfere when they just load a website up from the internet. There could be caching going on from the ISP, the traffic could be taking different routes to different content providers. etc...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    If they really wanted to benchmark loading they would have to load a website over wifi where the speeds would be the same, and it wouldn't be going through 2 different networks, and loading a site loaded with traffic probably getting served by multiple servers.

Too many variables to interfere when they just load a website up from the internet. There could be caching going on from the ISP, the traffic could be taking different routes to different content providers. etc...
    yeah, the same could be said for precentral's benchmark video.

but i think in general, a real world test that's fair (clear cache, cookies, all that good stuff), and just hit a site that is popular and doesn't have a specific style or page setup for the iphone is pretty indicative of what average people should experience.