Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    This is not a slam thread. In terms of "how" the Pre does things then I feel it has a huge advantage over the iPhone. But as for individual apps then I'm surprised that Palm was the king of PIM, but with the included apps then they seem to be missing concepts that the iPhone (and even Palm OS) already established. I'm not trying to prove one to be better because I really don't care about the OS Wars so if I'm wrong then please point it out.

Calendar
    iPhone Month view shows daily schedule on bottom half
    Pre requires you to click on that day to open accordian

Contacts
    iPhone has slider on side which is essential for large contact lists. Syncs all fields/dates/photos perfect
    Pre has icons but equires constant swiping to find name or requires typing. Plus, the superiority of combining (not merging) multiple address books has to be proven. My meticulous address book is an absolute mess, but my iPhone syncs with my address book app and is clean and perfect.

Mail
    Both equally "good enough but not great" and both need improvement

Music
    iPhone coverflow is silly. But overall functionality of iPod is very thorough
    Pre has no scrubber bar, doesn't remember position, forces Amazon option

Dialer
    Both do the job, but personally I prefer iPhone extra buttons

Launcher
    iPhone home screen is 20 apps.
    Pre home screen is 4 apps and requires a click to see 9 more. Very inefficient
    BOTH fail in that they don't have a quick view of daily tasks/calendar/etc

Maps
    iPhone offers unique map options and easy access to everything
    Pre goes for a cleaner interface by hiding options and is missing features

Browser
    iPhone wastes more space but offers USEFUL easy to access buttons
    Pre is cleaner but requires more button pushing to do stuff. Still adjusting to cards concept

App Store
    iPhone offers desktop and phone buying. Plus, the price listing is useful
    Pre offers phone only and as they grow the tagcloud thing will be a waste of space

Built in Apps
    iPhone offers Yahoo's weather and stocks. Very basic, quick and its right there
    Pre offers nothing. You can download but they're a bit slow and bloated for an app you open once a day then dismiss

There you go.
    Congratulations! It sounds like the iPhone is the device for you *applause*...
    Man I am glad that was not biased or anything.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    with contacts, you just type the letter you want to go to that section (not the best worded sentence. lol).
    Scrubber issue, I can't believe it, what do people move back and forth through music?
    In my years of owning iphones, ipods, sandisk, creative, I have scrubbed a total of zero times. I either start the song from the beginning or move to the end.

No one is mentioning how easy it is to move apps via the pre vs. the iphone. You can get to any of the 4 things on your launch bar in one movement compared to the many touches required in an iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    This is not a slam thread. In terms of "how" the Pre does things then I feel it has a huge advantage over the iPhone. But as for individual apps then I'm surprised that Palm was the king of PIM, but with the included apps then they seem to be missing concepts that the iPhone (and even Palm OS) already established. I'm not trying to prove one to be better because I really don't care about the OS Wars so if I'm wrong then please point it out.

Calendar
    iPhone Month view shows daily schedule on bottom half
    Pre requires you to click on that day to open accordian

OK, so on iPhone days are selected by mind control, so you don't have to click a day to show the amazing daily schedule. On the other side, being that the Pre saves the applications states, it's not difficult to think that if you want daily schedule you just have to select it.

Contacts
    iPhone has slider on side which is essential for large contact lists. Syncs all fields/dates/photos perfect
    Pre has icons but equires constant swiping to find name or requires typing. Plus, the superiority of combining (not merging) multiple address books has to be proven. My meticulous address book is an absolute mess, but my iPhone syncs with my address book app and is clean and perfect.

WOW, your iPhone just does it!! And, of course, the fact of being able to select a contact just filtering with the keyboard is a bad idea. About syncing, just an annotation: your iPhone can't handle more than one address book, but the Pre can handle just only one address book. Just think about it: maybe it's a feature, not a fail.

Mail
    Both equally "good enough but not great" and both need improvement

Music
    iPhone coverflow is silly. But overall functionality of iPod is very thorough
    Pre has no scrubber bar, doesn't remember position, forces Amazon option

Dialer
    Both do the job, but personally I prefer iPhone extra buttons

Launcher
    iPhone home screen is 20 apps.
    Pre home screen is 4 apps and requires a click to see 9 more. Very inefficient
    BOTH fail in that they don't have a quick view of daily tasks/calendar/etc

Maybe that's because on Pre you can have applications opened, and they are shown on home screen. And maybe people only uses a few apps frecuently, not 20. Thinking about it, I use Phone, Mail and Browser all the day, and the rest of apps only sometimes. So showing 20 apps at a time is inneficient for me. And you?

Maps
    iPhone offers unique map options and easy access to everything
    Pre goes for a cleaner interface by hiding options and is missing features

Pre has turn-by-turn navigator, and Google Maps options will be updated, the same as happened on iPhone. Figure it out!!! Turn-by-Turn on 2007!!!

Browser
    iPhone wastes more space but offers USEFUL easy to access buttons
    Pre is cleaner but requires more button pushing to do stuff. Still adjusting to cards concept

Pre offers the web page you want to see on screen, and the USEFUL options on menu, I think.

App Store
    iPhone offers desktop and phone buying. Plus, the price listing is useful
    Pre offers phone only and as they grow the tagcloud thing will be a waste of space

Price is only useful if you just need the title and price to buy an app. Sometimes people needs to know the utility of the app.

Built in Apps
    iPhone offers Yahoo's weather and stocks. Very basic, quick and its right there
    Pre offers nothing. You can download but they're a bit slow and bloated for an app you open once a day then dismiss

Yeah this is the real deal-breaker for every one. No, wait, you can have similar apps just downloading them, and use it the same as on iPhone.

There you go.
    Without iPhone experience, and without Pre experience.
    Know whats funny....

THIS IS WHY THERE IS UNVERSIAL SERACH FOR SOME OF YOUR ISSUES.

Type in your app if you want to get it quickly.

Type in a name if you want to talk to them quickly.

THERE IS A KEYBOARD FOR A REASON.....USE IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Scrubber issue, I can't believe it, what do people move back and forth through music?
    In my years of owning iphones, ipods, sandisk, creative, I have scrubbed a total of zero times. I either start the song from the beginning or move to the end.
    All the time! I have many 2-hour DJ sets that I advance through all the time. Not every 'song' on a persons music player is 3 minutes long.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Know whats funny....

THIS IS WHY THERE IS UNVERSIAL SERACH FOR SOME OF YOUR ISSUES.

Type in your app if you want to get it quickly.

Type in a name if you want to talk to them quickly.

THERE IS A KEYBOARD FOR A REASON.....USE IT.
    It's not really that universal if you can't search the calendar and email. The new 3.0 iPhone software does have that.
    And podcasts or the like suck with no scrubber bar or whatever it's called.
    This is very useful if you have a long podcast. One more thing, the Pre should add the list view for the calendar, it's very useful.
    That is an excellent point (podcast or really long rave music lol) I love google maps directions so much better on the pre. I wish the track ball controlled curser position like the g1 for fixing typos
    To be fair, lets give the Palm Pre a few months to get situated... I think they're both great devices in their own rights, but they're far from perfect.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    I do like the phone, but not being able to search or sort your emails is a real hinderance for those of us that actually use the phone to conduct business!
    Didnt really even want to post in this topic but I feel like I kind of have to.

It is a little moronic(for lack of a better term) to be comparing the PRE... in its initial stage... lets repeat Version 1.0.2.... to an Iphone in what its 3rd stage?

If you want to do a fair comparison.... do the 1st generation Iphone against a PRE. Then we will see how the PRE stacks up against that version Iphone.

As for this comparison? Totally biased, as Iphone has already had a 2 year head start on Palm WebOs.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Didnt really even want to post in this topic but I feel like I kind of have to.

It is a little moronic(for lack of a better term) to be comparing the PRE... in its initial stage... lets repeat Version 1.0.2.... to an Iphone in what its 3rd stage?

If you want to do a fair comparison.... do the 1st generation Iphone against a PRE. Then we will see how the PRE stacks up against that version Iphone.

As for this comparison? Totally biased, as Iphone has already had a 2 year head start on Palm WebOs.
    Interesting - you think the Pre is competing in today's marketplace against the 1st generation iPhone? Luckily for you, Palm knows what they're competing against, and they're trying real hard not to be 2 generations behind the competition like you seem to want to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I went to Best Buy and asked to do a side-by-side comparision of the Pre to the first generation iPhone but they didn't have the original iPhone in stock.
    Points to you sir.

I LOVE (love love love) my pre. BUT! they did miss the mark on a few basic things. I hope updates are coming, they really should have looked at what current devices had or their own palm devices to make sure certain highly used features were there.

Scrubber bar will be there as soon as a decent 3rd party media player comes out, as i also have 2 hour dj sets i scroll through regularly.
    I have to say, I really prefer the interface in every single instance depicted in these pictures on the Pre. With regards to the UI, they really out-Appled Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprockethead View Post
    And podcasts or the like suck with no scrubber bar or whatever it's called.
    More important to me than the scrubber bar, is it true that it doesn't remember your place in the song/podcast? (Not a problem for a song, but for a podcast it becomes important.) What about the video player? Does it remember your place in the video?
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    If you want to do a fair comparison....do the 1st generation Iphone against a PRE. Then we will see how the PRE stacks up against that version Iphone.
    This doesn't make sense. Palm is releasing a phone in 2009 to compete with current smartphones already out. Why should we be comparing a brand new product in '09 to something released two years ago? What has Palm been doing for two years then if not keeping up with the competition?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast