Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mo-bile View Post
    This doesn't make sense. Palm is releasing a phone in 2009 to compete with current smartphones already out. Why should we be comparing a brand new product in '09 to something released two years ago? What has Palm been doing for two years then if not keeping up with the competition?
    THANK YOU!! I was just about to post the same thing. If you are going to pit today's Pre against the iPhone, you must use the current iPhone hardware and software. In a week, the Pre will really not be able to compete.

Frankly, my Pre is going back without haste. I have been using the iPhone since it's launch, and using the official 3.0 software, and see no reason to get into a time machine and go back two years to "start over" with the Pre.

I wish it luck to those users who prefer or are stuck with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Interesting - you think the Pre is competing in today's marketplace against the 1st generation iPhone? Luckily for you, Palm knows what they're competing against, and they're trying real hard not to be 2 generations behind the competition like you seem to want to be.
    Maybe you're not understanding my post to well. WebOs...brand new OS...compared to an iphone now. How long did it take Apple to have a stable build of their OS? How bout having functions that most pda's have already have had for years...one namingly being multitasking?

Like I said your topic is purely biased to the fact you like an Iphone and obviously are more comfortable with it. Like Palm has said, this phone isn't for everyone...just like an iphone isn't for me.

Exscuse me as I finish this post...I need to switch over to my email...how convenient though that I could keeep pandora going this whole time.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post

Exscuse me as I finish this post...I need to switch over to my email...how convenient though that I could keeep pandora going this whole time.
    Wow. How cutting edge you are. Too bad that Pre doesn't have a decent spell checker to keeep your typos in line. Or is that the fault to the little tiny keyboard.

Well at least Pandora was still running....
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob View Post
    Wow. How cutting edge you are. Too bad that Pre doesn't have a decent spell checker to keeep your typos in line. Or is that the fault to the little tiny keyboard.

Well at least Pandora was still running....
    Oooh grammar/spelling police....let me guess...Apple gave you an app for that?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    !

Terry
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Didnt really even want to post in this topic but I feel like I kind of have to.

It is a little moronic(for lack of a better term) to be comparing the PRE... in its initial stage... lets repeat Version 1.0.2.... to an Iphone in what its 3rd stage?

If you want to do a fair comparison.... do the 1st generation Iphone against a PRE. Then we will see how the PRE stacks up against that version Iphone.

As for this comparison? Totally biased, as Iphone has already had a 2 year head start on Palm WebOs.
    it's a little moronic that you think that the comparison should be done between the pre and the 1st generation iphone. the pre is forced to compete with other competitor's current offerings.

drawing on your logic, reviewers should have compared a zune with the 1st ipod that apple released. that would be really fair huh?

and unless you are a robot, everyone is biased to some degree. unfortunately, it's human nature.
    Do you guys realize that you can skip forward in a song by holding down the next button in the music player?
    Nope, comes with the OS. And really, streaming Pandora while doing something else...I can listen to my iTunes library while checking my email or suring the web. Big deal.
    Nope, comes with the OS. And really, streaming Pandora while doing something else...I can listen to my iTunes library while checking my email or suring the web. Big deal.
    So can a BB, but can you load that webpage in the background while checking an email (since we all know how awesome AT&T's service is)?

Sorry, I just had to interject into ONE of these threads, I couldn't help myself. I am bowing out, before people start throwing bricks (or river stones).

In all honesty, I agree with just about everyone here.

1. The Iphone isn't for everyone, and Palm isn't for everyone. Luckily they have been building similar/competing devices since the early/mid 90s for people to choose. Free market is a wonderful thing.
    2. There are a lot of things the Pre needs added from PalmOS, and new technology in general. It will be here in time though, this IS V1 after all. Should it have been tossed in from the beginning? Absolutely, but Palm probably ran out of time. We all know how important getting money back into the company was for Palm.
    3. Both devices are incredible technological advancements, and both have their Pro's/Con's. As I said in #1, the Iphone does more things better for some people, and the Pre does things better for others. With that said, I think WebOS is an AMAZING OS with serious potential, but it really needs time to be cleaned up/made efficient, and develop apps that REALLY push the limits of the OS. I think people are going to be amazed at what this device will be capable of.
    4. All of the things people are complaining about with the Pre can be fixed relatively easily VIA updates. Apple really needs to rebuild their OS in order to move forward. I think this is the big advantage for Palm. Palm wasted a lot of time relying on an old system that was ONCE the benchmark, but let current technology leave them in the dust. The Iphone is starting to become the same way. It paved the road for these new devices, but Apple really needs to step up their game and rebuild before they get left behind.
    5. Give WebOS TIME. No one ran around making fun of Apple for all of the Iphone quirks when it first came out. Instead, people drooled over what it DID do, and what it was capable of. Lets try to have the same response to Palm. People are too quick to throw the Pre in the garbage because of the impact of PalmOS. Give Palm time to tweak WebOS and really bring out its strong points, just like people did with the Iphone.
    6. Is more of a request. STOP THE BASHING (BOTH WAYS). I know Palm/Apple have been at war since the early/mid 90s and it's tempting, but really... it's getting ridiculous. Comparisons? Competition? Sure, all necessary for a free market, but BASHING won't get anyone anywhere. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but don't keep crying wolf, or expect no one to listen to your ideas/complaints.

I could keep going, but I am already getting the feeling this post was a waste of time. So, I will just continue to read, learn, and ignore the inconsequential ramblings that are a waste of time for EVERYONE.

With all that said, HUGE thanks to "FoolNameJon" for actually giving the OP and interested parties an ANSWER. I don't have any music on my Pre right now to test it on (I just use pandora until a Sirius app comes out), but it seems like everyone got what they wanted with his response.

Also curious, while your streaming Pandora and checking your email, what happens when an important phone call comes in?
    Also curious, while your streaming Pandora and checking your email, what happens when an important phone call comes in?
    Oh, I don't know, I answer it?

Calls interrupt data as long as you're on EVDO, which most people should be most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Oh, I don't know, I answer it?

Calls interrupt data as long as you're on EVDO, which most people should be most of the time.
    Good. That was a concern of mine.
    More of a concern of mine is what happens when you've got so many cards open that you can't open a new card, what happens when you get a phone call then, but it seems like the Pre reserves enough memory for a phone call at all times, because even when I can't open any other cards, the phone application always opens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Interesting - you think the Pre is competing in today's marketplace against the 1st generation iPhone? Luckily for you, Palm knows what they're competing against, and they're trying real hard not to be 2 generations behind the competition like you seem to want to be.
    I'm excited to see what the Pre can do and how it will be received. As a long-time PalmOS user and receive iPhone 3G convert (about 1 month before the Pre was announced ;-), I find the Pre very compelling on it's own merit. But, truthfully, I have to agree here. Comparing the Pre to first gen iPhone, while having an intellectual appeal, probably won't effect peoples' decisions very much. It might seem more "fair" in your mind, but to most users (though maybe not the smaller percentage that frequent tech forums like this one) they are comparing current offerings from current companies. Most folks will look at what one product can do and what the other can do, filter their decision through any and all brainwashing, personal beliefs, hopes, dreams, etc that they may have and decide which works best for them and that's how it will sell ;-) Present desirability (usability?) to the individual will ultimately drive demand.

This is not to say that things like marketing, advertising, brand-name recognition won't influence things because they obviously do. Mostly just saying that, IMHO, the ideology of "wait until the OS matures", while a potential comfort of things to come for early adopters, likely won't be satisfactory to the average joe "Pre vs iPhone" buyer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12