Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I am going to start a thread for Tasks and solicit the input and help from this forum to see what we can do. Having had a Palm for 10 years I expected much more than this.
    I transferred my Tasks from my Treo on Day one. I then began to use the TAsks on Google calendar. Now my tasks are not in chronological order. If I input a task on my Pre, when I am done with inputting data there is nothing to allow me to save so I just gesture back. I am so confused by all this I can't even tell if my Google tasks are synching because of the order things are in. And I can't really find a way to have a Task repeat other than using the Google calendar.
    Need a 3rd party app! Unfortunately the company that invented the Palm Desktop has chosen to just have us use something like Google instead of having there own web based application.
    Please input all suggestions on this Thread for Tasks.
    i'll be interested in that as well, i am a big task manager... i feel lost, i could just w8 for the app that is coming but i don't think i should have to pay to do something that is native on so many other devices
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Me, too. The Pre tasks app is very limited and is a major disappointment.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I thought it might sync with Google but it doesn't as best I can tell. So I would have to use this horrible Task app for now on the Pre!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Tasks and memos don't sync with anything at the moment.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have to agree on this. I don't have a Pre yet, but I've been getting myself closer and closer to picking one up, being a Palm veteran since the days of my Pilot.

I went to a Sprint store today and played with the demo they had in their store. I checked out a lot of the Pre's bells & whistles, then checked on what I consider the crucial apps for me. Tasks is perhaps number 1 on my list since I use it to keep me on tabs with my bills and such. I was shocked to see how limited the tasking application was. It reminds me of what basically turned me off from the iPhone. I figured that maybe me not having any real experience with this phone yet, perhaps there was something I was missing or not knowing how to do. I spoke with one of the Sprint store reps who had an older model palm with him, so he understood what I was talking about and per the training he got, there was nothing that they had focused on particularly with Tasks other than what you owners have seen thus far [disappointment]. He put a positive light about it though, suggesting that maybe Palm would release an update for the task app itself, and also went on to mention that a legacy emulator that would run the Palm OS apps could be a possible solution for regaining the functionality. While it's nice to be able to go back, my view on it is like this: You don't go buying a new car just so you can play your old 8-track tapes.

I don't want to say it'll be a deal breaker for me if the features I would have expected of the Tasks application don't make their appearance on the Pre, but I will say I'll hold off from purchasing this for a while longer until I know those simple features [repetitive tasking, reminders] will be brought in. Kinda sucks though since it'll probably be sometime after the rebate offer is done with.

I can't recall, but was there an option for setting the time to be notified by a task on the Pre or was that not present either? As best as I could tell, they changed the priority of 1-5 to Low, Normal and High, that's a good change. They also changed categories of reminders to Lists, that I can appreciate also. But leaving out repetitive tasking and reminders is just a step backwards IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Tasks and memos don't sync with anything at the moment.
    My tasks are syncing with Exchange.

I agree the Tasks app sucks. No sorting at all?! Time for a third-party app to step up...
    I dont think that the tasks from Google sync to begin with... i use thunderbird and Lightening and it doesn't sync with the google tasks from Calendar.. according to the forums there.. Google just doesn't sync that info yet.. correct me if I am wrong

and if that is the case. I can see why Palm would not invest alot of time into Tasks until more things sync them..

On the other hand (I use tasks ALL the time and would also be very upset about this.. if I owned a pre)
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Those of you with Palm Pres, I wonder if you can test something out regarding this specific issue. While I'm not all that comfortable to accept it as a permanent solution, being able to use PalmOS with the help of that MotionApps program called Classic would allow you to use the PalmOS based version of Tasks on the Pre, so to speak.

Could those of you with a Pre test this out [Run Classic and PalmOS Task in Classic and set up repetitive tasks] to see if it's a viable workaround while (hopefully) Palm makes a gradual update, or someone "Carpe diems" the Task app for Pre?

I can't post the link to the video since I don't have enough posts, but if you google the following search phrase,

Palm Pre Classic emulator demoed on video

You should be able to find the video on there, should you need to know more about what Classic can do. Check the first link from Engadget. Repetitive tasking in some shape or form is what I need. My Centro battery just died on me. I'm debating if I should just make the switch and get the Pre, or buy a battery for this Centro. In the short run, it makes sense for me to get a new battery or just keep a charger handy. In the long run, getting a Pre is the cheaper solution considering the plan I have and the money that goes out to paying it. Your findings will help me make a decision. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I'll give it a try and let you know.
    This is the downside of being early adopters. We must be patient for 3rd party developers to either release apps already in development, or evaluate shortcomings (from such groups such as this) and then develop apps that extend functionality.
    Oh, and don't hesitate to contact your fav 3rd party provider directly. Posting here is fine, but actually doing something about it is even better. Thanks for circling back to us if you learn anything.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    First thoughts reply on the emulator. Dates don't show even though I put them in. Nice look. Reminds me of Palm.
    I use Mobile Login - Remember The Milk. It works on any mobile phone and any os/desktop. Its free too.
    I turned the tasks calendar on - so they show in the calendar with their little check boxes.

Then I went on the Pre to Google. At the bottom you can choose Mobile or Classic -- just like on the Treo. Choose Classic.

Then go to the sign-in bar in the upper right and sign into your google account, select calendar and you will see your full desktop version of the calendar. Your tasks are there -- you can blow them up by zooming, but if you have the single day mode on in landscape, you can see them quite well.

Check off works, numbers are clickable, but if you try to edit, the bubble is blank.

Inelegant but functional -- given the article yesterday about Google making more services available, I expect it will not be too long for them to make a better integration option.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Thanks, this should help. Motion Apps is $30! Crazy. I'll get rid of this quick.
    I love you man, er girl, er man. Uh, don't have that info, but I hope you know what I mean. This works for the time being.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'm really hoping that Google and Palm can make tasks work together seamlessly. I'm willing to be patient though since this is their first shot at it.
    Functional tasks (repeating, alarms) and memos would really be appreciated. I'm sure someone will step up if Palm does not.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by casonbang View Post
    My tasks are syncing with Exchange.

I agree the Tasks app sucks. No sorting at all?! Time for a third-party app to step up...
    Yup, I was wrong. I didn't see any way to sync in Tasks so I assumed there was no way to do it. Then I had 7 tasks pop up tonight. Still the weakest part of the Pre in my opinion, but it will come.
    I'm a huge tasks user so I'll put in my $.02 as well - the Tasks app completely sucks. I'm syncing tasks with Exchange (EAS), and that works fine, but there are hardly any options. The only things that sync are due date and priority. No categories, no alert times. But the thing that really drives me nuts is that tasks show up in a seemingly random order. The only way you can sort is manually with drag and drop.

Please, please, please will a third party developer write something we can use??
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast