1.    #1  
    I love the Pandora app on the Pre. Its elegant, slick and works pretty well.

With that said I am afraid that it is the culprit of many complaints here including: Sluggishness, Battery Life and Memory Usage.

I feel that if the Pandora application is running, anything I else I run automatically is slower. I dont know how well Pandora app is using resources. The images and way it uses ram probably is not optimized for the hardware. It seems to take up considerable CPU cycles and quite a bit of ram. It also kills the battery with its combination of main application and notification use.

Anyone else experience similar things?

I know the application on iPhone is somewhat the same thing and it brings similar issues.

Seems Pandora is for those who really want to listen to pandora and not much other things going on and a charger handy
    Last edited by jsimon9633; 06/07/2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: incomplete
    Pandora seemed to run fine last night for me. I did not notice any slugishness.
    Pandora works great, but it does eat a lot of battery... and the web browser becomes really slow while having it running in the background. So how is this service? Are we gonna have to subscribe and pay a monthly fee for this?
    Pandora is great, I do notice once I start the app and make a new card it is sluggish, but after that first card it runs really smooth, its only sluggish during that time because its opening the Pandora notification pane.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    This doesn't seem too unusual with streaming music on a cell phone to me.

The battery gets drained much faster because it's constantly pulling down data, your internet will be slightly slower because you're using that data to stream the music. Your RAM shouldn't get a lot of usage unless it's storing long segments of the songs that are being streamed.
    I agree that it does seem to slow the phone down a bit, however once i start a new card and its goin it doesnt seem to slow it down. just durring the initiation of the new card.
    but it is a free app on a CELL PHONE. one cant expect a ton out of a cell.

and to play the devils advocate, on the blackberry however, it runs fine in the background. i love how people can say that a bb doesnt run multiple apps but in fact it does. by hitting the end button it simply leaves the prior app running and takes the user back to the app screen on a bb.
    Only thin I want from Pandora in a future update, is the ability to thumbs up without unlocking the screen. I know it shows up on the lock screen. But it doesn't seem like we can toggle it.
    Does anyone know how to edit a radio station with this app?
    Pandora makes things very sluggish for me. I can really only open one other card and still have reasonable responsiveness.
    It definitely impacts the responsiveness of the Pre.
    Seemed to be a little worse when I change it to the "High Quality" stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    Does anyone know how to edit a radio station with this app?
    +1

I'd like to be able to edit my QuickMix...I never know what I'll be in the mood to listen to.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  12. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Hopefully either another update from Palm will resolve some memory management issues I've been experiencing or Pandora will release a newer version of their app that'll put less strain on the RAM.
    I'd love if this app could add an artist to an existing station too, to diversify what's being played. Instead, I've just been using Quickmix but it's not quite the same. (In fairness, the WM app couldn't do that either, you need to use the website for that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    +1

I'd like to be able to edit my QuickMix...I never know what I'll be in the mood to listen to.
    I contacted pandora today, and they said that the current version doesn't have radio edit capability, but it will come in the future, but no ETA. in the meantime, i edited the stations online through pandora.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'd love if this app could add an artist to an existing station too, to diversify what's being played. Instead, I've just been using Quickmix but it's not quite the same. (In fairness, the WM app couldn't do that either, you need to use the website for that.)
    you can edit the station and add artists to the station online.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    you can edit the station and add artists to the station online.
    But not from the Pre, that was my point. Not a big deal, it'd just be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But not from the Pre, that was my point. Not a big deal, it'd just be nice.
    ah, sorry, just didn't know if you knew about it. but pandora rep said that they eventually will have the functionality in the pre app.