Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm having a problem accessing contacts in my address book via Sprint Navigation. I'm on the phone with support now.

The application seems pretty straightforward, similar to Mapquest Navigator that I have been using for almost two years.

When I hit "Drive To" on the first screen and then hit "Contacts" on the next one, I get a message saying "No Addresses Found". I can initiate a search with the keyboard in that blank white window, but the progress wheel just spins endlessly at the top beside my search term.

I have 350 contacts, almost half of which have a complete address that MN has searched and found for two years.

The rep has a Pre with her and she gets a "No addresses found" mssg too. Are we missing something very simple? One must be able to search through contacts with Sprint Navigation.

The pdf here says you can, but provides no details.

http://navigation.sprint.com/media/s...1_palm-pre.pdf

Of course if I tap the address in Contacts Google Maps opens.

After much time on hold I was just told I would have to enter addresses in manually. A possible bug? Big bug for me.
    Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working with the Pre's contacts application yet. Hopefully that'll be fixed soon.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the confirmation. Sprint Telenav was driving me nuts.
    I remember reading somewhere that Palm has locked down the PIM data so that a 3rd party application can only access data that it has written itself. So, for example, Fandango can write an event to the calendar, and read it, but it can't (unfortunately!) check the calendar first to see if the selected time slot is free.

This is probably what's happening here, and I'm really hoping that Palm opens this up sooner rather than later. The aforementioned Fandango capability, and this Navigation issue, are two examples of where it really makes the Pre far more useful. Note that it's something the the iPhone also doesn't allow, as I understand, which would be another area for Palm to differentiate the Pre.

Man, I can't wait until some of these issues are ironed out. The Pre is such a great device, it'll be great to see it really shine.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    Man I hope you're wrong about that although you make a good case. I would have to return the phone. One reason I justified it was to do away with the BT puck I have to use with my BB flip. Now to have to access, copy, and paste addresses manually (nightly at work) when they are sitting on my device would hardly be a step up.

I thought I heard the iPhone 3.0 will finally allow other navigation programs to work. But only for manually inputted addresses I suppose?

Just another thought, but Google Maps opens if I tap the address in the Contacts, just like the iPhone too. But they are omnipresent and all knowing anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Just another thought, but Google Maps opens if I tap the address in the Contacts, just like the iPhone too. But they are omnipresent and all knowing anyway...
    Difference here is that it's the Contacts app that's sending the data to Google Maps, not the other way around.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Look at the info in this link.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...very-cool.html

After you set up your account you should be able to import your addresses into the nav program. That is from the web page you should be able to import and they will show up in your Nav program. That should solve your problem.
    Thank you for this forum. It has been helpful. I have been using search and finding useful answers to assist me with issues/questions I am having with my Pre.

However, there is one question that is driving me crazy. I have read some bits and pieces, but nothing that applies to me. Here's the deal.

I want to be able to see my contacts when I open Sprint Navigation. I tested this the other evening when I only had 4 contacts in my contacts list. All 4 showed in Sprint Navigation. Great! Exactly what I wanted and needed. Today I was on the road looking to use Sprint Navigation for one of my 75 contacts, and to my surprise the original 4 were listed but no others. I can not figure out why the others do not appear or how to update it so that I can see them in Sprint Navigator without having to re-enter. I thought this device was supposed to have an integration strength, and certainly this is not following that vision.

Anyone else experience an issue such as this? If so, did you find a way to resolve it? I would love to know how to have all my contacts appear for me, not just the first 4.

Thanks for any thoughts/insights/assistance.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I dont have any contacts listed in mine.... hopefully its something that is fixed because I want to be able to use it off my contacts.

That said the sprint nav program really does work exceptionally well outside of this one issue.
    I synced my contacts (500+) with my work's exchange server. All show up in SprintNAV. I don't know what the issue is with yours.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I did bring contacts in via gmail and facebook... maybe that is why mine arent showing. Because I know I have addresses in for most of my contacts. And its been transferred over with the sync because the addresses are in the contact list. Just not showing up in nav. Oddly enough they do show fine in google maps.
    This is noted in the official palm forums and was done this way from a software security aspect. I hope they change it to allow this.
    This was a bad decision. If they're worried about security, ask the user if they have permission first. It's VERY annoying to have an address in my phone but I can't easily get a voice route to it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Wow, this is bad. I figured for sure this would work.
    The only contacts showing up on my sprint navigation are teh 4 businesses I added through WHERE.
  15.    #15  
    Powerpack thanks I am about to give it a try.
  16.    #16  
    I started a thread about this a few days ago. A possible solution was provided on that thread by member Powerpack but I am just now going to attempt it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...29#post1651829

I also started a thread on the official Palm forums. I suggest all join their forums and add to it.

Sprint Navigation Can't Access Contacts - webOS Software - Palm Support Forums
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    I synced my contacts (500+) with my work's exchange server. All show up in SprintNAV. I don't know what the issue is with yours.
    After hitting "Drive To" in SprintNav and then "Contact" they are there? And you can search them by using keyboard?
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned either on the Palm forums or here, but the surefire way to get contacts to show up in Sprint Navigation is to have a contact w/ address under your PALM PROFILE as opposed to Google or Facebook. I tried cheating this a bit by creating a stub of a Palm Profile contact and linking it to an existing Google contact w/ address, but it doesn't work.

It would seem the "security feature" is how they currently implemented it. It would further seem they intend for the user to make heavy use of the Palm Profile seeing that it can be accessed by the Sprint Navigation app (not to mention the backup facility for the Palm Profile as well).

Is there any easy way to do a mass import of Google contacts to a Palm Profile?
    I posted here as well ( http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...avigation.html ), but to sum it up, Sprint Navigation has no problems showing addresses from PALM PROFILE contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggtennis View Post
    Thank you for this forum. It has been helpful. I have been using search and finding useful answers to assist me with issues/questions I am having with my Pre.

However, there is one question that is driving me crazy. I have read some bits and pieces, but nothing that applies to me. Here's the deal.

I want to be able to see my contacts when I open Sprint Navigation. I tested this the other evening when I only had 4 contacts in my contacts list. All 4 showed in Sprint Navigation. Great! Exactly what I wanted and needed. Today I was on the road looking to use Sprint Navigation for one of my 75 contacts, and to my surprise the original 4 were listed but no others. I can not figure out why the others do not appear or how to update it so that I can see them in Sprint Navigator without having to re-enter. I thought this device was supposed to have an integration strength, and certainly this is not following that vision.

Anyone else experience an issue such as this? If so, did you find a way to resolve it? I would love to know how to have all my contacts appear for me, not just the first 4.

Thanks for any thoughts/insights/assistance.
    Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem, and so are every other Palm pre i've checked, (4 of them). Ok this is what happened from start to finish.

I bought I Palm Pre upgrading from my Tro 755p. All of my contacts and information is in Palm Desktop. I upgraded from version 4 to version 6.2 of Palm Desktop so the data migration program available on Palms website could move the contacts to my Palm Pre. I synched with my phone, then synched the phone with my google account. All of the contacts and notes and pics on the contacts were now on my phone. I could also access all of my contacts in Sprint Navigation when selecting "drive to" and "contacts".

So all seemed well and good, but in fact all was not good. I discovered that when I tried to update or change any of my contacts on the Pre, it would automatically undo any of those changes within seconds of my choosing "done". I racked my brain a bit and decided to check my google account in the contacts section. What the situation was, is it didn't synch any of the address data that were in my contacts on my Palm. Easy / not so easy fix. I decided to manually copy and paste the info from my Palm desktop software adding all of the missing addresses to my gmail account contacts. When this was done I could properly change my contact info on either side and it would properly update, but guess what, the contacts I "fixed" / updated, no longer appeared in the Sprint Navigation app, with the exception of 6 addresses I forgot to update the missing address info on. When I updated those one by one they too dissapeared from the Sprint navigation.

My conclusion from this? It's an issue with Synching with the g-mail account and some sort of compatibility in the other apps. Either way you cut it, it's a bug and needs to be fixed without having to bend over backwards.

Other bug, Predictive searching of the phone number in contacts isn't working either. What do I mean? When the feature is enabled, when manually typing a phone number, as you type the number, if there is a correspnding number which is similar in your contacts it's supposed to begin to appear, and does not.

Importing and Exporting to / from gmail. Gmail has an import / Export feature that can allow you to easily import or export your contact and calendar information to and from various applications, including the popular outlook, or palm csv format.

Any questions or comments feel free to ask, i'm going to work a little more to see if I can find a work around for this glitch.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast