Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned either on the Palm forums or here, but the surefire way to get contacts to show up in Sprint Navigation is to have a contact w/ address under your PALM PROFILE as opposed to Google or Facebook. I tried cheating this a bit by creating a stub of a Palm Profile contact and linking it to an existing Google contact w/ address, but it doesn't work.

It would seem the "security feature" is how they currently implemented it. It would further seem they intend for the user to make heavy use of the Palm Profile seeing that it can be accessed by the Sprint Navigation app (not to mention the backup facility for the Palm Profile as well).

Is there any easy way to do a mass import of Google contacts to a Palm Profile?
    Well you are quite right about the Palm Profile contacts showing up in Sprint Nav. I just discovered I have 9 Palm Profile contacts out of about 350, and I think this is because when the Sprint rep attempted to transfer my contacts from my BB to the Pre, only 9 made it. I didn't catch the error until I got home.

Apparently none of them had addresses, so none were showing up. I just added an address to one of them, and voila.

So I went into contacts preferences, and all I could do was change the default profile from gmail to Palm. It now says any "new" contacts will become Palm profile contacts. I can't make old contacts Palm Profile contacts? I don't really know what the hell the Palm Profile is.

I am so confused. Somebody help us please.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Well you are quite right about the Palm Profile contacts showing up in Sprint Nav. I just discovered I have 9 Palm Profile contacts out of about 350, and I think this is because when the Sprint rep attempted to transfer my contacts from my BB to the Pre, only 9 made it. I didn't catch the error until I got home.

Apparently none of them had addresses, so none were showing up. I just added an address to one of them, and voila.

So I went into contacts preferences, and all I could do was change the default profile from gmail to Palm. It now says any "new" contacts will become Palm profile contacts. I can't make old contacts Palm Profile contacts? I don't really know what the hell the Palm Profile is.

I am so confused. Somebody help us please.
    I am assuming the majority of your contacts are now in a GMail account. Someone suggested earlier exporting into a CSV file from there, but unfortunately the Palm Profile has no direct means of taking that data in. If the data transfer assistant can take the CSV file, then you may be in luck. Unfortunately it is a one-time thing, but I would think you could import the CSV into your Palm Profile and that would be it. The only downside I could see is duplicate contacts galore between your Palm Profile and GMail account.
  3.    #23  
    Yeah in gmail. I have been getting shot down with everything I have tried. I was able to sign into My.Telenav with my phone # and pin where I was thrilled to find a simple page to import addresses into Telenav:

TeleNav - Voice directions on your GPS phone

But the gmail kept giving me a try later mssg. I finally called Telenav support and was told gmail import is not working. So I opened a yahoo account, went into classic mode where they accept vcards from my Mac, and uploaded my address book. Every single one duplicated so I had to delete half. Then I tried importing them into Telenav and got 150 with no name, no nothing. The support rep gave me this address, because Sprint Nav and Telenav are "the same but different".

http://navigation.sprint.com/snweb/p...nAction=recent

Sprint has nowhere to import addresses but does have a "manage addresses" section where you can add one by one to your favorites. But it is supposed to be synched to your phone and isn't. I have one favorite on my phone and it doesn't show up. This is the same site by the way that has a pdf showing how to use the Pre with Sprint Nav that of course doesn't help at all.

I'm winging all this and am starting to feel like an *****. I may try your suggestion but yeah I'm scared of more duplicates too.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Honestly Im sure it will be fixed soon enough by an update.... unless you need the contacts in there today give them a month or two and all of your work wont be needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    Honestly Im sure it will be fixed soon enough by an update.... unless you need the contacts in there today give them a month or two and all of your work wont be needed.
    I am optimistic about this as well. I contemplated using the data assistant but decided against for this reason.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    unless you need the contacts in there today...
    I do. I use it every night for work. Right now I still have my BB and T-mo (and Mapquest) and I would like to stop paying two phone bills.
  7.    #27  
    I just got off the phone with Palm.

Their solution was to create a new contact (using Palm Profile) with the same name as the one I want to show up in Sprint Nav. Then link the two profiles. I was willing to try.

But it's not working for me. Only a Palm profile contact will show up in Sprint Nav. If it is linked to an identical google profile it doesn't appear. Which would mean duplicates...

Maybe someone else can try it too. I may have messed up somehow. There is also an option to make a profile the "primary profile" but that didn't do it either. But I am rushing now so maybe someone else will have better luck.

Well I must go to work, on the road for a few days, and I'll be taking my BB along to navigate to my contacts. I'm not paying for two phones much longer...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    It would make sense for palm not to allow 3rd party apps to "EDIT" data such as contacts and calender info, but to not be able to see them at all is retarded.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I hope I can get this worked out too. What a pain to reenter.
    Sprint Navigation Can't Access Contacts - webOS Software - Palm Support Forums

Edit: Oh, I just realized after posting this that it looks like galavanter was the one that posted that over at the offiicial palm forum.
    go to telenav.com and sign up with your phone number and get a pin. Put the addresses in there then they will show. PIA but it works.
    Telenav only pulls a few of my Gmail contact addresses into Sprint Nav. Better than nothing but way short of a real solution. Not really sure why Telenav would have a limitation.
  13.    #33  
    Here's what I've experienced and learned.

The Telenav site didn't work at all with Gmail and their rep confirmed that it was down. He said try Yahoo in the drop down so I set up an account there and imported my contacts from my Mac. None of them showed up on Sprint Nav. He said sometimes the Telenav site works for Sprint Nav and sometimes not, because Telenav and Sprint Nav are "the same but different. Edit: They did end up showing up on the Telenav site but not on the Pre.

Sprint Nav has their own site for managing addresses, but it has no way to import contacts as a group from anywhere. You can enter one at a time into your "favorites" category only on the phone. Remember to hit the refresh button while on the favorites page of Sprint Nav after.

Sprint Navigation

An address on your Pre Will show up in the contact section of Sprint Nav IF it was created using the Palm Profile as the default account in Contacts preferences. That means before setting up gmail which I think then automatically becomes the default account, although you can change it back and forth afterwards.

When I had the Sprint salesman transfer my contacts from my BB to the Pre I didn't realize until I got home that only 9 of 350 made it. So I synced my Mac contacts with google and then synced google with the Pre, but all but those 9 now had a google profile. None of the original 9 Palm profile contacts even had addresses so none showed in Sprint Nav.

After maskedferret posted above about Palm Profiles I added an address to one of them and it appeared.

I called Palm and they advised me to create a Palm profile with the same name as a contact I wanted to appear in Sprint Nav and link them. You do this by tapping on a contacts profile icon in the top right, and a drop down will show you whether it is a Palm or google profile. Below that you tap on "link more profiles", you are taken back to your contacts, and when you tap on the one they are linked together. Only problem was it didn't work. They still didn't show in Sprint Nav. If I created an identical Palm profile contact, linked or not, it still wouldn't show, even if I then deleted the identical google profile completely!

However when I made up a brand new contact with a Palm profile it showed up in Sprint Nav. This led me to conclude that I had to delete all my contacts and get them on the phone as ORIGINAL Palm profiles.

maskedferret to the rescue again. mf suggested in another thread that Palms "data transfer assistant" might work. I checked it out and it is a simple application (took two or three mouse clicks) which transfers your data from your computer to your Pre. The link below is to the Mac version, which transfers iCal and Contacts, but there is a link on that page for the Windows version, which you will have to read up yourself to be sure it is what you need. I had no other Palm software on my computer, you may need it for windows or the outlook version, I'm not sure.

Palm.com : Data Transfer Assistant (Mac)

But first I had to delete my contacts. Don't waste your time like I did going into Device Info from the launcher and clicking "Reset Options". You'll get a restart, part erase, and full erase options, but after it's done the damn Palm profile just loads everything up again on your Pre. You would think I might have realized that, but no.

You've got to first erase your Palm profile. I had come across a post about someone calling Palm and having them do it over the phone, so that is what I did, called Palm.

I got Ivy, the nicest and most knowledgeable Palm rep in the Philippines, who immediately grasped my situation, what I was trying to accomplish, and then proceeded to tell me how to do it myself. She owns a Centro.

Launch "backup", push the "on" button to turn it off, and low and behold there appears an option to Erase Backup. That's your Palm profile. It was news to me anyway.

After following the rest of the steps, which I am forgetting now (don't worry it guides you), remember when the time comes not to create a new Palm profile but log into the same one. It still retains your name and pass, it is just empty.

Then run the Palm Data Assistant, being sure to choose Palm Profile when the options appear (on the Pre I believe). Ivy even reminded me to eject the Palm properly so as not to lose any data. All your contacts will then be visible, searchable, and drivable to in Sprint Nav.

Ah but now what? You have to configure email again (you erased everything) so I reentered my Mac accounts and google account which is synced to my Mac which then synced with the Pre again, downloading all my contacts once again. Duplicates! I knew this would happen but I figured Palm Synergy would take care of that.

From Palm:

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Palm Pre FAQ: Synchronizing Contacts

"What are linked contacts?

The Synergy feature automatically links contacts from different accounts if it finds data in common between them. When your phone recognizes matching information in two contacts—for example, the same name and phone number—it automatically merges the info from the two records into a single view that displays all the contact information. For example, if you have a contact in Exchange and in Google for Emily Weeks, your phone links the contacts so that all Emily’s info shows up on a single contact screen. You need to open just one view to see all of Emily’s info. The actual data remains stored separately with your different providers; it’s just assembled in one view on your phone for your convenience."

Only it didn't happen. See this thread I just started:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...61#post1686661

I've got duplicates of most, and when I manually link the Palm and Google profile I get two identical addresses and two sets of notes. Only a few dozen profiles linked automatically as advertised.

So what now? I'm happy to have my contacts visible in Sprint Nav, and glad my company doesn't get new customers too often. Because when they do, I will have to change the default profile back from its present google (where I keep it so it syncs with google and thereby my Mac) to Palm profile, enter the new contact info, then change the default profile back to google, cut and paste the info there, and unless they fix automatic linking contacts, manually link the two and still have double addresses.

Another option would be to send the contact to your favorites in Sprint Nav (you can do this on the app) and delete the Palm profile. However one of the Telenav reps answered around 100 when I asked him how many favorites you could have. I have more.

Hey it was my day off. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/17/2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Thanks for the diligence! I am going to wait for a real solution.
    I just spoke to Telenav. The rep told me she checked a blog and saw that Sprint and Telenav are working on a software update to enable importing.
    Visor->650->Pre
  16.    #36  
    I have solved, with the help of a Palm forum member, the linked contact issue.

There is a bug related to goole/mac syncing (maybe windows too) that creates additional spaces in addresses in google. There are two spaces instead of one between the state and zip and also between town+comma and state. This causes the address to load entirely in the street field on the Pre. It is not apparent unless you tap the circled "i" when editing the address on the Pre. Remove the additional space after the state using google, sync, and your Pre address is immediately formatted correctly in all the correct fields.

This then allows you to link two Profiles (in my case, Palm and google) correctly and have only one view.

Synergy Linked Contacts Not Working, or Maybe It's Me - Synergy (webOS) - Palm Support Forums
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/18/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    You may already have discovered this ... but you don't need to change your default contacts account from Google to Palm in order for addresses to appear in Sprint Nav.

When you edit a contact and touch the line to add a new address, you'll get a text field to input the address. You'll also get a button on the top right that allows you to select which profile to use ... touch that, and you'll see options for Palm (blue arrows), Google, etc. Set it to Palm, then enter your address as normal. Save the contact, and voila, the address will now appear in Sprint Nav.

It seems you can ONLY do this with new addresses ... you can't reassign the profile for an existing address.

Hope this helps someone!
  18.    #38  
    I never thought to tap the icon, I thought it was set. Thanks, this does save me from going to Contact preferences first. Still have to create a second Google Profile contact and link the two, but this does make it easier.
    Wow, I just entered my own address, which was in Contacts 2 times, one from Google and one from AOL (AIM).

I choose to enter a new address and choose the Palm Profile and just entered my address info all over again and now ended up with 3 linked contacts.

But magically, it finally showed up in Sprint Nav.

So if I carefully, follow the instructions here, I should delete my Google and all other contact and then do a import or something like that into the Palm Profile.

And of course, end up with multiple contacts linked for one name.

But then I read the one message that said that Google had extra spaces in it, I couldn't find the extra spaces in mine.

It clearly needs to be fixed.

Is this part of the reason (off topic) that I can't link a contact to a calendar event link I could in my old Treo (which is really just doing a copy and paste for me when I did a 'phone lookup'? I need that back as well and it's more important than this nav issue for me.

So will Sprint and Palm be working on getting this fixed?

I did call Sprint and they passed the problem up the line because my Sprint Tech said he couldn't figure it out himself.

But it seems that there is a way to get it to work, but it should have to be like this in the first place.

I have my fingers crossed that these issues will get fixed at some point. Just how long we have to wait is another story.

Thanks to all for the workaround!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

20.    #40  
    I THINK it works like this. If you create a Google Profile contact WITH an address FIRST, then try to create an identical Palm Profile and link the two, it won't show up in Telenav Contacts.

But if you have created a Google Profile WITHOUT an address, say just name and number, you may then create a Palm Profile with same info AND address, and it will then show in Telenav. Seems, from your post, that as long as the address is created first in the Palm Profile, you are OK.

My problem was I first synced with Google around 150 contacts that had addresses. Creating identical Palm Profiles afterwards did not make them appear in Telenav, thus the erase backup procedure and import from destop using Palm's Data Transfer Assistant.

The added spaces are created every time I make a new contact on my Mac and sync with Google. They are obvious in Google and if you tap the circled i while editing an address on your phone, they become obvious there too. I don't know if this happens other than from a Mac. Delete on phone or on Google and the problem doesn't return.

If you haven't done this, when you link two contacts you will still have two addresses, seemingly the same, when you view (not just edit) that contact. I wanted to clean mine up and it worked.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/01/2009 at 10:03 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast