Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Fandango app is available for download immediately from the Palm Catalog for free and is a very handy app for anybody that enjoys the movies. It is a location aware application so right away it will know where you are and what theaters are around your location. The main screen has four major options. They are: 1) Movies. 2) Theaters. 3) In Theaters. and 4) Coming Soon. (Picture 1*)

The Home screen automatically displays what is opening this weekend, top box office movies, and also in theaters. When you tap on a movie it opens up with general information and movie poster. It also shows showtimes for theaters near you. Their is four main choices on that screen and you can Buy tickets to a movie showing, Watch the trailer for the movie, read reviews, and look at photos from the film. (Picture 2*)

By Clicking trailer it turns your phone into landscape mode and quickly loads a trailer for you to watch. (Picture 3*)

While clicking photos brings up about 20 photos to view from the movie. (Picture 4*)

If you click buy from a specific theater in your area it will prompt you and ask for the time you would like to see. (Picture 5*)

One of the best features is when you tap Coming Soon from the main screen. It brings up a list of movies categorized by date. The best part is when you tap on a specific movie it brings you to the familiar page of General info but their as a calendar icon with a plus in the top right. Pressing this will add the day the movie comes out to your calendar. (Picture 6*) I have already gone through and every single movie I'm looking forward to this summer I have added to my calendar so that I may be reminded of when each film is coming out.

If your in the main menu and click on theaters it will automatically bring up a list of nearby theaters. (Picture 7*) When tapping on a specific theater it will bring up a list of what is playing, along with showtimes and other information such as phone number and looking up directions in Google maps. (picture 8*)

The great thing about the app is you can plan ahead and choose a different date if today doesn't work for you. (Picture 9*)

The App is also very smart in the way it stores your information and can easily be changed and tinkered with. (picture 10*)

Overall I would say that this is a must-have app for anybody that loves to go to the movies. It is very user friendly and really quite fast. I know with all of the good movies coming out this summer I will be using this application on a weekly basis. With the Palm Pre's ability to integrate web into calendar, and google maps it makes sure that you will be on time to see previews and have a large tub of popcorn. 5 out of 5!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by egreenwood1; 06/06/2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Messed up
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    great review
    That's for the review egreenwood1!

My questions:

1. Does the pricing differ from buying in person? More/less expensive? That could be the dealbreaker for me.

2. Movie theatres supported. I thought Fandango only served Century theatres. Can you buy for AMC, etc?

3. If you buy a ticket online, how do you "show" the theatre that you bought it? Do you still have to wait in line and show the clerk (thus, making the app moot for buying tickets)?
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    1. Does the pricing differ from buying in person? More/less expensive? That could be the dealbreaker for me.
    I believe Fandango charges a $2 convenience fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I believe Fandango charges a $2 convenience fee.
    Dang, thanks jhoff.
    2. Movie theatres supported. I thought Fandango only served Century theatres. Can you buy for AMC, etc?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Fandango$ $sells$ $tickets$ $for$ $Regal$ $Cinemas$ $and$ $AMC$ $Theaters$ $that$ $were$ $previously$ $Loews$ $Theaters$.

3. If you buy a ticket online, how do you "show" the theatre that you bought it? Do you still have to wait in line and show the clerk (thus, making the app moot for buying tickets)?
    At my local theater, I believe you use a machine where you can scan your online confirmation or input your confirmation number, and the machine prints out your tickets. You can also use these machines to buy tickets on the spot, although most people wait in line.
    Fandango is really awesome!, but I wish you could save the movie time on the calendar before purchasing the tickets, because most of the time I don't buy my tickets there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Fandango is really awesome!, but I wish you could save the movie time on the calendar before purchasing the tickets, because most of the time I don't buy my tickets there.
    Hmm, I thought I read you could, but it appears you're right.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Just a heads up, I used this app last night to purchase 3 tickets for Hangover. I tried the first local theater, however the App said it was soldout, so I tried the other local theater, and that one had tickets. The problem ended up being Fandango charged my CC for both theaters, so I had to submit a refund request.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Fandango$ $sells$ $tickets$ $for$ $Regal$ $Cinemas$ $and$ $AMC$ $Theaters$ $that$ $were$ $previously$ $Loews$ $Theaters$.

At my local theater, I believe you use a machine where you can scan your online confirmation or input your confirmation number, and the machine prints out your tickets. You can also use these machines to buy tickets on the spot, although most people wait in line.

Thanks Blaqk.

Yeah seems like most AMC theatres use movietickets.com
    How do you get ticket prices?

Does fandango really charge a service fee?

What if your a student/senior can you apply these discounts via fandango?
    Last edited by MLJones8; 06/09/2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to violate the rules of review only... found the thread via search
    Flixster seems to use movietickets.com to buy tickets if you need to use that instead.

Also, Flixster lets you add to your calendar without buying tickets. However, the quality of Flixster's trailers is horrible.
    How about a fandango vs. flixster review?
    i've always wanted something exactly like this with my treo. i just love how everything movie related is all in the same spot! the trailers are a real bonus
    I wonder if this is going to always be free?
    Great review! Destined for the front page tomorrow!
    Fandango trailers are better quality than Flixster
    I don't understand the point of Fandango--never have. If you can't just bypass the lines entirely, then what's the freakin' point? If I have to walk up to the kiosk, or the teller to give them my credit card, I save NO TIME AT ALL.

I got excited in 2005 when Fandango was talking about getting barcodes on the screen of your phone, that the theater would scan. THAT would be cool.

I've played with both Fandango and Flixter, and I like Flixter. They don't push an over-priced service on you, and I can read Rotten Tomato reviews.

I don't care much for the trailers, really, but Fandango has better quality. That said, I would probably just leave both on the phone--no point in deleting. One day one of the servers might be down, and I'll need to quickly bounce to the other app. I default to Flixster, however.

If a group of 10 people bought tickets on Fandango, there'd be nearly $20 in service charges. That is highway robbery, especially when you don't save ANY time, and the purchasing experience is MORE annoying.

Here's how you buy a ticket:

1) swipe card in kiosk
    2) tap "playing in next hour"
    3) adjust ticket #s
    4) buy
    5) save $20

I must be missing something. Perhaps for extremely exclusive events, Fandango would be handy, but I've read several reviews that say stuff still sells out, and your Fandango ticket does NOT gaurantee a seat--you still have to get there in time. Theaters and events typically over-sell tickets, since they know many people end up not coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I don't understand the point of Fandango--never have. If you can't just bypass the lines entirely, then what's the freakin' point? If I have to walk up to the kiosk, or the teller to give them my credit card, I save NO TIME AT ALL.

I got excited in 2005 when Fandango was talking about getting barcodes on the screen of your phone, that the theater would scan. THAT would be cool.

I've played with both Fandango and Flixter, and I like Flixter. They don't push an over-priced service on you, and I can read Rotten Tomato reviews.

I don't care much for the trailers, really, but Fandango has better quality. That said, I would probably just leave both on the phone--no point in deleting. One day one of the servers might be down, and I'll need to quickly bounce to the other app. I default to Flixster, however.

If a group of 10 people bought tickets on Fandango, there'd be nearly $20 in service charges. That is highway robbery, especially when you don't save ANY time, and the purchasing experience is MORE annoying.

Here's how you buy a ticket:

1) swipe card in kiosk
    2) tap "playing in next hour"
    3) adjust ticket #s
    4) buy
    5) save $20

I must be missing something. Perhaps for extremely exclusive events, Fandango would be handy, but I've read several reviews that say stuff still sells out, and your Fandango ticket does NOT gaurantee a seat--you still have to get there in time. Theaters and events typically over-sell tickets, since they know many people end up not coming.
    Makes sense. That service charge is killer. The barcode thing would be sweet, and also what I imagined the service would be.
    Does anyone know how much the service charge is? It's also my understanding that flixster doesn't charge a fee, is that true?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast