Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I wish I had thought of this method, but regardless I'm glad someone did. I used the User Agent Switcher extension in FF to grab the setup.PRC, then dropped it in the ClassicApps folder. Didn't even have to put it into the Install folder (increases compatibility with programs that require package install, I think, whatever that is).

I had some problems with an "Error writing to Memory Card", and guessed it was because my epocrates Dx was stored on external memory on my treo. So since I'm not using it anymore, I deleted enough stuff to make room on the phone itself for all the epocrates apps, then moved Dx over using the Memory management Tool in epocrates. Hotsync to update (to save time, double-click Hotsync tray icon, go to Applications, uncheck everything except epocrates), and the epocrates conduit will update the stored locations of your epocrates modules, so that when you run setup on Classic, it won't run into compatibility problems trying to install parts on "external" memory.

At least, I think that's what the problem was, and it worked, so I'm sticking with that story.

also, if you were frantically trying to install ePocrates previously by copying over files from your PalmOS device (FileZ to SD, then SD to Classic folder or ClassicApps\Install), delete all epocrates files you can find via the PalmOS delete option on Classic before starting the epocrates setup app. You'll know you did it right when setup asks you for your login info and it's not already entered. This might be a better-safe-than-sorry thing, but why risk it, right?

And yes, OTA updates work great. What's also nice is I've noticed a significant speed bump in performance.

addendum: ohh yeah, interestingly, there's no Blazer in Classic! Haven't been able to install it, either, by copying it over using the Filez->SD->Classic method (by which I mean both ClassicApps AND ClassicApps\Install). Opera I could get running by copying over the IBM Websphere Java module and opera install PRC. IIRC, going to get.epocrates.com in Opera said "Your device is not supported at this time." or something like that.
    Last edited by edhkim; 06/10/2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Blazer etc
    No Blazer in Classic? Who would have thought. lol. In anycase it seems the setup.prc is really a tiny file.

<<Moderator Note: Epocrates support requested that this app be removed because they no longer use this setup file and it can cause problems for Classic Palm users. >>
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 06/10/2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by chemike View Post
    I can confirm Epocrates is up and running on classic using the setup.prc
    run it in classic and it will sync up with epocrates server and download it!

You download this from get.epocrates.com while on a palm device. OR
    by "tricking" the server into thinking you are on a palm device.

From a pretty old post in another forum: instructions for firefox (on your computer):
    type in about:config in the title bar.
    right click, select new/string. enter "general.useragent.override" for the preference, and "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-TunX; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448" as the value.
    this fools the server into thinking that you're connecting from a palm device.
    navigate to get.epocrates.com
    click "install now"
    save to your location of choice, and move setup.prc to your classicapps folder on your pre.
    Run classic on your pre and self-explanatory from here on.

*side-note: the syncing/downloading of the program on the pre did mess up the first time, which I think is because the screen turned off, so I had to restart the download and this time didn't let the screen turn off and it went smooth. Maybe because i had wifi on? not sure but that's what i did and it worked.

Also, navigating through Epocrates on the pre is a bit rough without a stylus!

how do i get back the default setting of firefox? now it's crashing on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    how do i get back the default setting of firefox? now it's crashing on me.
    reset/delete the string you created:
    about:config
    search for the string general.useragent.override
    right click -> reset

hope this helps.
    reset/delete the string you created:
    about:config
    search for the string general.useragent.override
    right click -> reset

hope this helps.
    thanks!!
    Ok, so I got it installed and it started to work. Then I closed the application. I wanted to restart it but the installer icon is the only one I see. Is it going to always have to sync whenever i want to use 5the program, or what did I do wrong??
    That shouldn't happen DrSelina. Here is what I did. I placed the setup.prc into the classic folder then ran it from within Classic. It downloaded and installed the program and I was greeted by the blue error screen. Restarted Classic. I still see the setup.prc but when I switch to all apps I see epocrates listed. I believe the first time I launched epocrates there was an update but it has not auto updated since then.
    DId you hit the palm classic's home button to switch from your internal drive where the setup file lives to either the all or main launcher pages?
    I finally got epocrates working on Classic, but for those having trouble: be persistent. I had all kinds of problems (blue screen crash, synchronization would freeze up or take a super long time, entire palmOS would freeze and I had to quit) but after all that, I deleted all epocrates files in Classic, uninstalled Classic itself, then reinstalled everything (Classic and put setup.prc back into it) and it worked.

One tip: I did keep the screen active (i.e. didn't let the screen go black) the whole time it was syncing because i noticed if it went black it'd freeze the sync process and I'd have to restart again.
    yeah i think keeping up so the screen does not go out is the hardest part about the installation.
    Keeping the screen active was necessary to keep my installation from freezing as well. Still completely worth the multiple screen taps. I was afraid I'd have to continue to tote around my 755p until a full Pre version of epocrates was released (how long might that take?). Only drawback now is having to launch Classic first, then opening epocrates.
    People who do have epocrates installed onto Classic, how is the use? Is it hard to select things?

I'm waiting to install it on my phone because Classic doesn't 100% support it yet and classic only comes with 7 days of trial period, and I want to sure the supported version works well before I buy it.
    Fellow Practitioners,

I took a look at the Epocrates Search Portal answer to the question, "Will Epocrates' products work on the Palm Pre?"

you can see their answer here

In short, it doesn't appear to give any timeline to a native WebOS App. Rather, it seems to state that full MotionApps/Classic functionality will be available in the coming months. If that's the case, I think we should state strongly that we want a native WebOS app. I've written this and sent it both to the support email address, and to youropinion@epocrates.com with "Palm Pre" in the subject line as they suggested in their Search Portal answer regarding Pre support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Epocrates Support,

The Palm Pre has so far been the fastest selling handheld device in Sprint's history, with ~100,000 units sold in ~7 days. It and other iterations of WebOS devices are expected on several other carriers both in the US and abroad within the coming months.

After reading your statement on support for the Palm Pre, I'm left with the impression that you are expecting Motion Apps to do the work of adapting their *emulator* program so that the *archaic* version of epocrates for OS Garnet can continue to be used. This does NOT equate to true support for WebOS and the Pre. As I said above, this has already been a record setting launch, and unlike the iPhone, will be available on multiple US carriers in the coming months. As such, I think it is incredibly short-sighted to just rely on a 3rd party emulator for representation of your program when such broad adoption of WebOS appears a certainty.

Please tell me I've misunderstood your statement, and a *native* WebOS version of Epocrates is a priority. Given the speed, flexibility and processing power of the Pre, it isn't a stretch to imagine simply bypassing Epocrates in favor of UpToDate/LexiComp or Micromedex. As a busy physician at a university hospital, I would prefer to have a native WebOS version of your program to those. However, that does not hold for a garnet version on WebOS through MotionApps/Classic.

In other words, your current solution is unacceptable. Please address this promptly and properly.

Kind Regards,
    etc etc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel it can only help to let the folks at epocrates know that healthcare practitioners are adopting this platform and it's worth their time to develop for it.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

Riz
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I apologize for my ignorance but how do you run Classic on Palm Pre? Thanks
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Fellow Practitioners,

I took a look at the Epocrates Search Portal answer to the question, "Will Epocrates' products work on the Palm Pre?"

you can see their answer here

In short, it doesn't appear to give any timeline to a native WebOS App. Rather, it seems to state that full MotionApps/Classic functionality will be available in the coming months. If that's the case, I think we should state strongly that we want a native WebOS app. I've written this and sent it both to the support email address, and to youropinion@epocrates.com with "Palm Pre" in the subject line as they suggested in their Search Portal answer regarding Pre support.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Epocrates Support,

The Palm Pre has so far been the fastest selling handheld device in Sprint's history, with ~100,000 units sold in ~7 days. It and other iterations of WebOS devices are expected on several other carriers both in the US and abroad within the coming months.

After reading your statement on support for the Palm Pre, I'm left with the impression that you are expecting Motion Apps to do the work of adapting their *emulator* program so that the *archaic* version of epocrates for OS Garnet can continue to be used. This does NOT equate to true support for WebOS and the Pre. As I said above, this has already been a record setting launch, and unlike the iPhone, will be available on multiple US carriers in the coming months. As such, I think it is incredibly short-sighted to just rely on a 3rd party emulator for representation of your program when such broad adoption of WebOS appears a certainty.

Please tell me I've misunderstood your statement, and a *native* WebOS version of Epocrates is a priority. Given the speed, flexibility and processing power of the Pre, it isn't a stretch to imagine simply bypassing Epocrates in favor of UpToDate/LexiComp or Micromedex. As a busy physician at a university hospital, I would prefer to have a native WebOS version of your program to those. However, that does not hold for a garnet version on WebOS through MotionApps/Classic.

In other words, your current solution is unacceptable. Please address this promptly and properly.

Kind Regards,
    etc etc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel it can only help to let the folks at epocrates know that healthcare practitioners are adopting this platform and it's worth their time to develop for it.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

Riz
    Great call, Riz.

I just sent a similar email!

Please Epocrates! Make this happen!!
    @RizP
    Good call. I also sent them an email to that effect. This is something we all need to do to push the company into investing in the development of version that's native to webOS.h
    Quote Originally Posted by miaent View Post
    I apologize for my ignorance but how do you run Classic on Palm Pre? Thanks
    Put the setup.prc in the Classic install folder (read the whole thread)
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    miaent - if you mean Classic itself then launch the App Catalog and search for Classic. Tap it then hit Download at the bottom.
    Last edited by DigitalNight; 06/15/2009 at 08:52 PM.
    I can confirm Epocrates is up and running on classic using the setup.prc
    run it in classic and it will sync up with epocrates server and download it!

You download this from get.epocrates.com while on a palm device. OR
    by "tricking" the server into thinking you are on a palm device.

From a pretty old post in another forum: instructions for firefox (on your computer):
    type in about:config in the title bar.
    right click, select new/string. enter "general.useragent.override" for the preference, and "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-TunX; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448" as the value.
    this fools the server into thinking that you're connecting from a palm device.
    navigate to get.epocrates.com
    click "install now"
    save to your location of choice, and move setup.prc to your classicapps folder on your pre.
    Run classic on your pre and self-explanatory from here on.

*side-note: the syncing/downloading of the program on the pre did mess up the first time, which I think is because the screen turned off, so I had to restart the download and this time didn't let the screen turn off and it went smooth. Maybe because i had wifi on? not sure but that's what i did and it worked.

Also, navigating through Epocrates on the pre is a bit rough without a stylus!
    This is a VERY helpful Post...and Thanks Chemike. However....I got hung up after getting the setup.prc into the Classic folder. couldn't find the icon for setup.prc........after a while did....and currently am synching to Epocrates Server with 5 minutes to go........Thanks for a VERY useful and perfectly detailed post.
    thanks Roger
    Last edited by otodoc; 06/15/2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: made some progress before sending
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    No Blazer in Classic? Who would have thought. lol. In anycase it seems the setup.prc is really a tiny file.
    Thanks for posting this file! Everything is working great and my Wife, the doctor, if very happy and doesn't have to carry around two phones now. All we have to do is figure out the battery drain program the Pre has. It is terrible!!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast