Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Are there facebook and twitter apps?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    No facebook app, but the browser has a bookmark already set. There is a Twitter client called Tweed in the App Catalog. I'd call it barely passable tho.
    The facebook that is bookmarked is the basic mobile version. There has not been a native app launch yet and I am very disappointed. With so much facebook integration in your contacts you'd think they would have an app ready. The mobile version pales in comparison to the iPhone/iPod Touch app. Heck, even the Blackberry app for that matter.
    The Facebook bookmark is actually the "iPhone/iPod Touch" optimized mobile Facebook (it used to be iphone.facebook.com, now it's x.facebook.com). However, since the Pre browser is built upon Webkit, we can use it too.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I changed the bookmark to the full facebook website (just remove the x.). Yeah it takes a bit of time to load the whole page, but why not have everything. I like having all the options available in the full version. And you could add a icon to the launcher to go directly to the full site. Magic full facebook app. I don't want a cut down version, give me it all. That is why I got the phone, full webpages as they were meant to be used.
    My guess is they are secretly working on native integration of facebook into the entire webos. I.E. facebook chat in the sms/aim messaging windows. type in a message in card view and "set facebook status" will be an option along with google, wiki, and twitter. etc.

but maybe not lol. I am sure an app will be out soon.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
    The facebook that is bookmarked is the basic mobile version. There has not been a native app launch yet and I am very disappointed. With so much facebook integration in your contacts you'd think they would have an app ready. The mobile version pales in comparison to the iPhone/iPod Touch app. Heck, even the Blackberry app for that matter.
    Yeah facebook is inferior for me right now on the Pre, compared to both my iPod Touch AND my Treo 755p.

m.facebook.com renders with the font too small on my Pre-- it's designed for a small screen, but for some reason (not sure if it's the stylesheet for the site or what), the font is really small when it should be larger. You should not have to zoom in to read on a m. mobile site.

the x.facebook.com / iphone.facebook.com site is kinda ghetto if you ask me. I couldn't find notifications anywhere and it just felt poorly laid out in general. the iPod touch / iPhone app is far better, and I imagine a similar app is on the way for the Pre... just a matter of time.

In the mean time, I wish they'd at least fix m.facebook.com (or have Palm let us manually adjust the font size like normal browsers allow), so that that site is as usable as it was on my treo.
    Just use the normal facebook... I.E facebook.com looks great in my opinion unlike most mobile phones, and you get full functionality.
    bump...

A native facebook app that actually updates when someone pokes or messages you would be nice this web page link is junk... the Blackberry Storm had one at launch, and that thing was a mess..
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Regarding twitter apps, I'm liking Spaz a little bit more than Tweed, but neither is really all that great.
    IMO, it'll be only a matter of days until there is a native webOS Facebook app. It's the main app on mobile phones, so I'm sure devs are all over it.

If the Facebook app is anything like Gravity for Symbian, we are in for a TREAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by nKoan View Post
    Regarding twitter apps, I'm liking Spaz a little bit more than Tweed, but neither is really all that great.
    If you can, drop me a line via one of the methods in Spaz > Help and let me know what you'd like to see.

-Ed
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I'm not kissing up just cause you are the dev (really!) but I'm starting to like Spaz a lot more since I wrote that comment.

One thing that I couldn't figure out, though, is how to start following a user that isn't related to my feed. Basically, I was talking with a friend of mine showing off the Pre, and showed him Spaz, but couldn't figure out how to add him even though I knew his twitter username. Maybe that functionality is there, but I couldn't figure it out fast enough and just popped open the web browser and did it that way. I'll also send that comment through the help section like you asked.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Ed, I tried the email address embeded in spaz (spaz-webos@funkatron.com) and it got returned with a 550 recepient unknown error.
  15.    #15  
    I really dislike spaz, i'm sure something better will come along.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Given that the photo app supports uploading direct to Facebook, the iPhone optimized facebook site is just fine for me.

Tweed is wonderful too, very nice twitterer.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Ok, Spaz kills Tweed. Nice app!
    Ed, I tried the email address embeded in spaz (spaz-webos@funkatron.com) and it got returned with a 550 recepient unknown error.
    Whoops! That should be fixed now. My bad.
    I'm not kissing up just cause you are the dev (really!) but I'm starting to like Spaz a lot more since I wrote that comment.

One thing that I couldn't figure out, though, is how to start following a user that isn't related to my feed. Basically, I was talking with a friend of mine showing off the Pre, and showed him Spaz, but couldn't figure out how to add him even though I knew his twitter username. Maybe that functionality is there, but I couldn't figure it out fast enough and just popped open the web browser and did it that way. I'll also send that comment through the help section like you asked.
    So the way you do that now is kind of roundabout, but you can search for from:username and get the person's messages, then follow from their profile. This kind of sucks though, and it won't work for private users. We should add a method for looking up a single user. If you file an issue for this in the issue tracker, that would be awesome.
    Since the full blown facebook website can be loaded and used including chat functionality in the browser on the pre call me confused but what need is there for an app? Perhaps I'm not thinking the same way people are who want an app so I'd love to hear the reasoning behind wanting an app instead of just loading the full blown facebook website in the browser.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast