Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Anyone know how this works versus on the iPhone?
    From the video today they said you could stream a podcast but not download (for now), bit of a bummer but not a deal breaker..
    I'm assuming iTunes podcasts would work.... Not exactly a mobile solution, but just a quick sync away if it works. I'm pretty sure I saw something confirming podcast sync.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    iTunes works to get them to the Pre, but nothing much more. The only way to organize them on the Pre is to make a playlist for each podcast and sync the playlists. The Pre's media player does not have a "Podcast" section.

There is no way to mark the podcast as played, or delete it after it has been listened to on the pre. Also, it doesn't appear to support saving your spot if you close out the media player as you can with a normal iPod.

I can deal with syncing it manually, but at the very least I need the podcasts marked as played so I can know what is new and what isn't. OTA downloading isn't needed right away (Would be nice, though).

I am going to have to carry around my old BB or an iPod until Palm either adds this functionality, or opens the SDK to more developers so they can start writing apps. But, it's the first day. I won't be too harsh!
    Last edited by MrEricM; 06/07/2009 at 01:18 AM.
    MrEricM:

Did this work for you? It was the first thing I tried since I'm addicted to podcasts. Itunes synced audio and video perfectly. It did also appeared to sync my podcasts when I selected that playlist, but they don't show up anywhere in the media player.
    It worked through iTunes for me. I have to go under the 'Genres' and select 'Podcasts', but they are there.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeworks View Post
    It worked through iTunes for me. I have to go under the 'Genres' and select 'Podcasts', but they are there.
    I have a podcast playlist i sync to so it works. But it doesn't save your positioning so it makes podcast listening here tough unlesss you listen to everything in one sitting. I guess "kinda working" is better than "not working at all", but still... i want it all.
    Regular, or smart playlist? Maybe that's my issue; I use the latter.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retsamhgiht View Post
    Regular, or smart playlist? Maybe that's my issue; I use the latter.
    For me, I had a generic "Podcast" playlist with everything in there. In order to sort them by each podcast, I had to set up a smart playlist for each podcast. This way I can go to "Playlists" on the Pre, and then select the "TWIT" or "Security Now" playlist which would contain all episodes of those podcasts. If you're asking if Smart Playlists work on the Pre, they do.

With that said... I won't be using the Pre for podcasts until they add a dedicated podcasting application or at least *formal* podcasting support in the media player.

Currently it does not save your spot, or mark them as read, or anything. It isn't even possible to delete the file from the Pre when you're done listening - Items can only be deleted from a host computer. And in addition to all of that, it is hard to navigate to WHERE you left off in the audio file when the Pre forgets where you last listened, you have to hold down the "Fast Forward" button and hope you get close.

I like the Pre, but really wish Palm would have released the SDK before they released the phone so we can get more than 18 applications at launch. Until they do, I am willing to work with it though and carry around my iPod touch for podcasts.
    I agree! Coming from a blackberry with podtrapper for podcasts. Podtrapper can be set to automatically download podcasts over the air and has bookmarking, a must have option!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by live4celltech View Post
    I agree! Coming from a blackberry with podtrapper for podcasts. Podtrapper can be set to automatically download podcasts over the air and has bookmarking, a must have option!
    PodTrapper on the Blackberry is a godsend. I would easily pay $50 for that app. They keep on adding new features too.
    Yo not sure if it will work, but why don't you all try Kinoma with the Classic emulator?
    Also loved BeyondPod for Wmob prior to coming to Pre. Really need an app for this...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juan Juice View Post
    Yo not sure if it will work, but why don't you all try Kinoma with the Classic emulator?
    Won't work, audio doesn't work with classic.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    You need to setup bookmarks from browser to websites where podcasts are. Chose to download from website and podcast stream to pre.