Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I said this in another thread, but especially since Classic doesn't support sound yet, there should definitely be an introductory price as far as I'm concerned.
    Classic does support sound. There are videos of it playing GTS racing with sound. What they don't support are specific codecs they would have to pay extra for, like MP3.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Classic does support sound. There are videos of it playing GTS racing with sound. What they don't support are specific codecs they would have to pay extra for, like MP3.
    Ah, okay, the release notes were worded very poorly then.

Sound support
    Classic v1.0 does not support sound but Classic v1.1 will provide a full support for streaming audio.
    I just read the release notes now. I think you may be right. Maybe they were demoing 1.1 in the video? Either way it says it will be a free upgrade soon after launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's just another opportunity to milk a few last bucks out of you for another chance to use Garnet.
    Who else would want to buy it? You think there's a big new market of potential Garnet users out in the community somewhere?
    Not a market for Garnet users, but a market for new Pre owners who look through the app catalog and see an app that lets them run thousand of apps right now. They don't even have to know Palm OS, Garnet ever existed. I'm looking at it from a marketing point of view.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Not a market for Garnet users, but a market for new Pre owners who look through the app catalog and see an app that lets them run thousand of apps right now. They don't even have to know Palm OS, Garnet ever existed. I'm looking at it from a marketing point of view.
    I have to disagree entirely. New users are going to take one look at the ugly old OS and never go back to Classic again. This is aimed directly at existing Palm users.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have to disagree entirely. New users are going to take one look at the ugly old OS and never go back to Classic again. This is aimed directly at existing Palm users.
    Who will most likely try to live without Classic for the first week (7 day trial) and then make a decision but at 30 bucks, it's a bit much. I am probably going to either wait it out and see if I can make it without my legacy apps (I can, it's nbd).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Who will most likely try to live without Classic for the first week (7 day trial) and then make a decision but at 30 bucks, it's a bit much. I am probably going to either wait it out and see if I can make it without my legacy apps (I can, it's nbd).
    of try to live without classic for a week, then activate the 7 day trial and see if you miss anything. I'm sure the 7 day trial does not start till you open the app for the first time (at least thats the way it worked with older palm apps)
    That's what I said, live without... but yup, people will attempt to adjust without by experiencing the PRE first... then maybe come back to the "PALM" if they must.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Of course it's aimed at existing users. I'm just saying that there's potential to get new users with a lower price. Do I think people who never used Palm OS will purchase Classic? Probably not, but the potential is there with the lack of webOS apps to market it to non-Palm OS users. All I'm saying is that at that price it will sell to people like us on the forum, if it were cheaper I think they might sell a few more copies.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    That's what I said, live without... but yup, people will attempt to adjust without by experiencing the PRE first... then maybe come back to the "PALM" if they must.
    sry, the way you posted it seemed like you said you were going to try to live without it DURING the 7 day trial... that would make it pointless to activate the trial and juts let it sit there and not use it. but yeah, we were talking about the same thing then.... lol
    Will apps be available in the fairly near future? I was trying to decide if I really need classic if I can just hold off for awhile to get apps. developed fer the pre? Anyone know how long we are looking at? A few weeks or months or longer than that?
    Can any guy crack it? It's damn exorbitant! I need my PalmOS apps like supermemo, etc.!
    The point is that many sales may not occur, so it priced higher. Palm is banking on the new Pre (new to Palm) users will not even know about Palm OS. They will get their apps from the App store.

Those like us who have many apps can justify $30. If it turns out that many buy it after all then just more profit, but they are projecting lower sales at least out the gate.

And yes there are many apps that at over $30 dollar in the Apple App Store. Most, like Classic, are specialized apps that address a smaller market or demand.
    So what are people going to use Classic for? I can't see using any PIM or email apps considering it's already on the main part of the Pre in WebOS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123