1.    #1  
    Im using verizon email. I havent seen anywhere where it says it does push as well so I guess Im going to have to make a gmail account. My question is this:

I plan on using outlook with my gmail. What happens when I get email "A" pushed to my phone, will email "A" also show up in outlook?

Also will gmail be pushed automatically or you have to set that up somewhere?
  3.    #3  
    Ok so I setup Imap in outlook for my gmail. is that what the majority of the peoples use? Not POP3?
    So if I understand correctly now, if an email gets pushed to my pre, that email wont show up in outlook, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    Ok so I setup Imap in outlook for my gmail. is that what the majority of the peoples use? Not POP3?
    So if I understand correctly now, if an email gets pushed to my pre, that email wont show up in outlook, right?
    IMAP will give you PUSH. you need to tweak other settings to manage mail handling and inbox and deletions etc. i will warn you that IMAP on Outlook can be confusing.

i will use IMAP Gmail on the Pre but will probably use POP Gmail on Outlook just because i like the folders, trash handling better.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    IMAP will give you PUSH. you need to tweak other settings to manage mail handling and inbox and deletions etc. i will warn you that IMAP on Outlook can be confusing.

i will use IMAP Gmail on the Pre but will probably use POP Gmail on Outlook just because i like the folders, trash handling better.
    Im confused allready!
    imap is a two way protocal, pop3 is a one way.
    In GMAIL you will have to configure how each protocol behaves, IE, POP3 doesn't delete email, IMAP doesn't delete email. ect.
  7.    #7  
    I think I understand now.
    Will have to tell gmail to push to the pre or is that just done automatically?
    on my blackberry, i had the ability to choose whether i wanted to delete [gmail/yahoo] msgs on my handheld or from my mailbox. will i be able to emulate this on my pre?

some messages i'd rather handle through my actual email interface, others i can quickly respond to / decide to trash and move on (and some i can 'handle', but still want to keep in gmail so i can search later since my memory isn't so great).

i read the link posted above about IMAP with gmail, but what 'client' is pre using? (or are we waiting to be added to this list?)

because, for example, this iphone tip makes sense, but i'm not finding the comparable settings on the pre (or the right place to be applying these settings...?)

iPhone

From your mail account's Advanced Settings:

Deleted Mailbox > On My iPhone > Trash
    Deleted Messages > Remove > Never
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

That seems like a really bad idea to me. The whole point of IMAP is to keep multiple email clients in sync by hosting email on the server. The IDLE push is just icing on the cake. You are just going to make your email syncing a mess.
    Take the time to learn how Gmail and Outlook handle IMAP. It's really not that difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldiekirks View Post
    on my blackberry, i had the ability to choose whether i wanted to delete [gmail/yahoo] msgs on my handheld or from my mailbox. will i be able to emulate this on my pre?

some messages i'd rather handle through my actual email interface, others i can quickly respond to / decide to trash and move on (and some i can 'handle', but still want to keep in gmail so i can search later since my memory isn't so great).

i read the link posted above about IMAP with gmail, but what 'client' is pre using? (or are we waiting to be added to this list?)
    The Pre isn't listed because it is new. With IMAP, if you delete on the Pre, it will be deleted on Outlook and if you delete in Outlook, it is deleted on the Pre. There may be a setting on the Pre to suppress server side deletes, I am not sure why anyone would want to do this.