Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili View Post
    there is a lack of categories in general across the board.
    why would such a critical feature be left out?
    also what is so hard about regular COPY and PASTE in new generation smart phones... seriously..
    You have to remember that the Pre was developed largely by ex-Apple people.
    Yes, and I thought some of that might be OK.
    Careful what you wish for. They've glitzed some things up,
    but have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, totally
    hosing some very basic, but essential functionality.
    The new guys in charge don't seem to care about the old
    customer base, as, at least in the case of memos, it would have been a damn simple app. A 3rd party can handle the memo app pretty easily (please, oh please) but I'm not sure how they'll get the old info over for us. Seems like it will require the equiv of a conduit, which means some desktop app, which is a bit less trivial.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to stay positive.
    If the lack of memos means I wait 3 or 6 months (though I hope not 12) and a lot of other bugs get fixed in the meantime, then there's at least a silver lining.

Btw, I like the googledocs idea too, but I use my notes when I'm away from the cloud a lot so that won't cut it for me.

Look forward to how more folks are dealing with it.
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I echo the sentiment how in the world did they leave previous palm customers stranded with memo/contact/calendar data.

After erasing the pre 2-3 times I did get all contacts/calendar and memos from a Treo 700 to my wifes PRE.

Use this URL on PALM's site to use the data migration assistant:

this forum won't let me post the link: here is the plain text:

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/sprint/solutions/template/Problem/39550_en.html]Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Solutions[/url]

Note it requires the Palm Desktop 6.2, but they provide the link to download it. I updated to the desktop 6.2, resynced to the desktop, ran the data migration assistant: it flashes in about 20 seconds that it transferred in my case 3000- 5000 items. Then it apparently sends the data via the laptop to your palm profile online, then via cell data to the phone. Took ~20-30 minutes.

My wifes phone brought about 1000 contacts/1 year calendar data and about 200 memos just fine. Of course the memos are post it notes with no categories but the data is there.

My phone would stall at "C" in the contacts: after the 3rd retry deleted the contact it stalled at, erased the PRE, tried again and got ~1500 contacts and ~ 10 years calendar data, but, NO MEMOS.

Summary: data migration assistant worked with persistance but I hope someone with create a PRE Web OS memo replacement.

Hope this helps

Arthur
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I have found a temp work around for my Treo Memos.

On my Mac I have my Memos synced on Mark/Space Notebook.

I exported the Memos into individual txt files for each Memo on my Mac. I transfer the txt files to the Pre through the Doc Viwer USB connection.

I can read the txt files on with the Doc Viewer. Problem is I can't change or create anything until the full Doc 2 Go is released.

It will do for now.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artthiel View Post

After erasing the pre 2-3 times I did get all contacts/calendar and memos from a Treo 700 to my wifes PRE.
    Which method did you use to erase your contacts/calendar and memos?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I'm reading up on the Evernote app, to see if there's a way to get the stuff (memos) into it. Once in, it would be an awesome front end for memos, and most all docs/notes/pdfs etc. Cool app popular with mac and web folks.
    Syncs to cloud and visible via web anywhere on any machine, and also has a desktop client. Cool feature allows it to do text recongition on memos and makes them findable via text. I've already pasted a bunch of memos out of palmOS, plus a couple graphics docs, and am already able to view them via the free client (like mozy or sycnplicity, there's a certain amount free, and then more bandwidth means a fee)

Anyway, now that I at least have an acct with them, and that they have a version for pre (and again, free mac/pc/web/iphone/bb versions) I've written them for an automated way to accept palmos memos. Or just textfiles in general. If so, a max export could work. Their mobile client search (seen via a friends BB0 and desktop (my own) look really good.

I've also written them to see if Pre Universal search should be able to see Evernote docs, or if only able via evernote clients (mobile/pc/mac/web etc)

We'll see what they say.

Then it will be onto solving the contacts and all the missing custom fields (and attached notes?)
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    Would also like to here more how the google notes version works.
    And if there is a way to store offline so you have notes w/o signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    They didn't?
    Of course Palm has left true memos orphaned for now on the Pre. I have memos dating back to 1996, that I took on my Pilot 1000, that have remained with me through multiple PalmOS handhelds, even more numerous jobs, and various Palm Desktop & MS Outlook versions. Those memos, and their associated categories, cannot currently be synchronized with a Palm Pre. I have no doubt that this will change, and quickly (probably through 3rd party apps, since neither EAS nor Google support note synching), but for now it's a glaring missing feature. {ProfJonathan/PreLawyer}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I got my Palm Treo notes into the MotionApp Classic program after 4 days of bugging MotionApps. Palm Pre support was useless. Now I have my notes with categories back, but it will cost me $30 for the program. The memos on Web OS is useless unless you have just minimal amount of notes.
    I think it is a lost cause especially with us who have over 500 memos...

WIll make do with the Memos app on CLASSIC. It's actually quick and responsive too. TOo bad WOrdsmith crashed my Pre.
    Memos was always a dealbreaker for me and that's why the Instinct didn't work for me-strictly the lack of Memos. Necessity is the mother of invention-someone will take care of this and all the other issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    WIll make do with the Memos app on CLASSIC. It's actually quick and responsive too.
    Shame it can't sync. Makes it useless to me.
    Quick question-I am challenged when it comes to all this hitech stuff. I am about to buy my Pre and have all my memos on my 755P. I just tried to make a doc and send it to my Gmail acct. and paste it to Documents. It worked fine except for one minor detail. When I selected all it doesn't include the 'details' part of the memos. So, I have all the Memos but only the description and not the pertinent details. How do you copy the memos along with all the details? Thanks.
    I highly recommend signing up for an Evernote account and using that. I believe they have a mass-import function on their website, if not I believe their Mac (OSX) client has an option for it. You can then search all of your notes from the Pre app, supposedly handles geotagging of notes (I have yet to get that to work). Added plus is that you can also store pictures in your evernote account.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MemoAddict View Post
    I got my Palm Treo notes into the MotionApp Classic program after 4 days of bugging MotionApps. Palm Pre support was useless. Now I have my notes with categories back, but it will cost me $30 for the program. The memos on Web OS is useless unless you have just minimal amount of notes.
    How did you do it? My memos and tasks are not in .prc or .pdb_ so I cannot import to Classic.
    I've tried the Palm migration tool to get Memos in, but no go...
    Palm - Start here: Move your info to your webOS™ phone

It gets as far as storing the export to USB drive and asks about importing into google or palm profile. It imports the contacts but the memos don't show up. Anyone try this method?

BTW, i have found no way to import palmos memos into evernote as well.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Delao13,
    This is what they asked me to do...worked well, but kinda roundabout way. Of note, on one of the screens, there is a "ROM" square in upper right hand corner...deactivate it.

TreoCentral will not let me post links as I am new. How goofy.
    I will post the necessary 10 items.
    Sorry about that...Delao13, this is what I got from MotionApps...Of note, don't forget to deactivate "ROM" square in one othe screens.

Kinda roundabout way but it worked. If only I can get ePocrates to work...

As for transfering memos, please follow detailed instructions on how to transfer your PIM data into Classic at Migrating PIM data from Palm OS device to Classic - MotionApps
    if you transfer all your Memos to stickys you would NOT need a signal to view them correct? Only if they were on Google docs.
    One word. Evernote. If you get your memos into Evernote you will never have to deal with this problem again no matter what platform you end up using.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast