1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I will be calling Sprint later tonight with this question but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I will probably be buying a pre in its first days. However, this whole summer I am in Maine where there is often an iffy though sometimes sturdy signal and, as far as I can tell, I'm always roaming. If I have any signal at all I am usually also able to log onto Power Vision with my Treo. There is an AT&T store and a Verizon store within a bunch of miles but no Sprint, and the nearest RadioShack does not appear to be a Sprint place, so I'm thinking that maybe this is a completely Sprint-free area.

My concern is, will this be a problem with activating the Pre, and with Synergy? And anything else like using the 3G internet? Does anyone know?
    I believe if you can get on the web, then you are not on roaming with Sprint -- I know my Treo will only go online when you I am in in the Sprint PCS service area, so I think you're fine.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Sprint roams on Alltel's data network (and vice versa). I doubt that extends to Verizon following the merger and the data roaming agreement may in fact be unwound now, but as far as I am aware you can still roam on Alltel towers (EVDO and 1xRTT).

-darren
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    RenardRouge, there is a setting the phone app that controls data roaming. Your phone may be set to not attempt it.

-darren
    I do not see any setting -- is it because I am using a Treo 650? It's not EVDO.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    Sprint roams on Alltel's data network (and vice versa). I doubt that extends to Verizon following the merger and the data roaming agreement may in fact be unwound now, but as far as I am aware you can still roam on Alltel towers (EVDO and 1xRTT).

-darren
    I know in KC sprint uses Verizon towers and Verizon uses Sprint towers, I would assume its the same everywhere.
    When I had a 650, I couldn't use data while roaming.

But with my Centro on Sprint, I can use data while roaming, but I don't get EVDO on other networks. Only Sprint's.

As for the OP's question re activation, no idea.
    You won't ever se EVDO unless you are on sprint...but I'm pretty sure it is if its available.