Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I have to say, the more I read the reviews...specifically the negatives in the reviews...it gives me a lot of hope for the future.

"Why?" you ask, curiously, as I say negatives are a good thing.

Simple. They vast majority is software related.

The only real legitimate hardware issue that is completely unfixable on the phone is the 8GB of memory. The rest are things that may be fixable without touching the hardware (more on that below) OR are opinion type things (the screens too small, the keyboards too gummy, etc).

The vast majority of things beyond that fall into two realms. One is direct software:

Not enough categories for the launcher, Universal Search not universal, all facebook and gmail contacts being grabbed, no categories for notes, not a lot of customization of preferences and settings, cut and paste only works in editable text, etc.

Two is related to software in fixing:

The App Store is too small, the battery dies quickly on instant messaging, apps take a bit to load up, there's no video recording, etc

This actually is fine by me. The thing people will find easy to forget, and its a testimont to how complete and finished the Pre and WebOS looks compared to say the G1 and Android, is that this is a 1st Gen OS. There's still a LOT of tweaking I'm sure there needs to be done, and as long as Palm doesn't go under they seem to be focused on doing that. Especially since WebOS is not something just to be regulated to the Pre.

If there were issues with the actual Hardware we'd be a bit screwed. If it was under powered, poorly designed, etc. But the OS and software related to it? These are all things that can be tweaked, added, and fixed as time goes on. As the engineers over there continue to tweak the OS for performanec and battery life many of those complaints will lower. As more Dev's get ahold of the SDK more things will fill up teh app store. As Palm gets more feedback on the core applications and what we want from them they can make slight tweaks. And as time goes on the little things missing from the OS because they didn't have the time to impliment or bug test them can be put in.

For a Generation One launch, the Pre and WebOS look like they're knocking it out of the park. Maybe not a grandslam, but not even the almighty iPhone hit a grandslam the first time it came up to the plate. They've laid themselves a great foundation here, with all the tools to finish the building. As long as they don't give up on this, and listen to the customer feedback, then the majority of the "negatives" for the Palm Pre and WebOS that are out there right now are merely temporary annoyances.
    Most of the reviews that I saw had problems with software related things: flash, lag, app catalog, etc. Alll of those can be fixed in time, the things that can't are the slider (Palm EOS fixes that) and the keyboard size. I think overall as a 1.0 product it just is fantastic. Even in a 1.0 product sizes up the competition pretty darn well.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Alot are really small nitpicking details because they had extremely high hopes for the palm. They thought it could wipe their ***.

I guess the flimsy hardware, plasticky feel, and build quality weren't up for the challenge.
    Last edited by fry8; 06/04/2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I hope Palm is proactive in pushing out updates OTA. The biggest problem in my mind is the AIM battery drain bug. They should turn it off by default.
    This is Palm's lifeline, I'm sure they're going to be on top of things... It wouldn't surprise me to see an update within the first few weeks after release addressing some of the software issues the reviewers have been complaining about...
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    I never really expected the Pre to sell on iPhone levels. I mean, it would have been pretty amazing if somehow it had sold 5 million in the first quarter, or whatever, but I never really expected that to happen.

What I'm glad about is that these reviews have been broadly positive. I think that Palm will sell 2 or more million webOS devices this year - Eos release for holiday season, beginning of worldwide Pre sales, especially in markets like the UK, France, Germany, Canada - and that 2 million sales of a high end smartphone equals a lot of money.

Furthermore, if the Pre is shown to be at least a moderate success, then Palm will be able to raise commercial debt at a much lower cost -> enabling them to invest in webOS and hardware development, and it will also raise the shareprice, allowing them the option to sell shares, and reinvest the money, and finally it will mean that Elevation Partners would have made a hell of a profit and would therefore also be willing to invest in the future of Palm.

One device alone could never really have saved Palm. All they needed was a start, and it looks like they're gonna get it.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    If they will release the SDK, I bet there will be plenty of apps in the catalog in short order.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    If they will release the SDK, I bet there will be plenty of apps in the catalog in short order.
    It would be a huge mistake if they didn't open up to developers, I'm sure they're working hard behind the scenes to make that happen.

Pre Marketplace here we come!
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  9. DDD
    Quote Originally Posted by fry8 View Post
    Alot are really small nitpicking details because they had extremely high hopes for the palm. They thought it could wipe their ***.

I guess the flimsy hardware, plasticky feel, and build quality weren't up for the challenge.
    Love the picture. Really brings the point across
    Also Known as 3_D
  10. DDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-SC View Post
    It would be a huge mistake if they didn't open up to developers, I'm sure they're working hard behind the scenes to make that happen.

Pre Marketplace here we come!
    I also hope that they are more "open minded" in generating fixes and not wait 2 years to get copy and paste or multitasking like Apple.
    Also Known as 3_D
  11. ibn
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    I hope Palm is proactive in pushing out updates OTA. The biggest problem in my mind is the AIM battery drain bug. They should turn it off by default.
    i agree. i think the OTA updates are one of the biggest draws to this phone. i believe that Palm will update soon and often.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    I also hope that they are more "open minded" in generating fixes and not wait 2 years to get copy and paste or multitasking like Apple.
    Yeah, just like the "wonderful" rom update for the 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by fry8 View Post
    alot are really small nitpicking details because they had extremely high hopes for the palm. They thought it could wipe their ***.

eeeewwwwwwwwww!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I've been posting this for awhile now and that's why my #1 priority is they open it up so some dedicated developers who can put the time in (in the hopes of a profit) instead of trying to develop everything themselves. Palm will never make their app as powerful as Agendus. They just needed to demonstrate what is possible. They could improve the phone app themselves.

Frankly, they need to create an environment where the bugs can be worked out between 3rd party apps causing crashes. That would be a helpful centralized role. They could help programs not be resource hogs. For a bit more profit, they can do tie-ins (like with Pandora) in exchange for exclusivity, joint advertising and hooks deeper within the OS. That's OK, just cover all the essential bases.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I've been posting this for awhile now and that's why my #1 priority is they open it up so some dedicated developers who can put the time in (in the hopes of a profit) instead of trying to develop everything themselves. Palm will never make their app as powerful as Agendus. They just needed to demonstrate what is possible. They could improve the phone app themselves.

Frankly, they need to create an environment where the bugs can be worked out between 3rd party apps causing crashes. That would be a helpful centralized role. They could help programs not be resource hogs. For a bit more profit, they can do tie-ins (like with Pandora) in exchange for exclusivity, joint advertising and hooks deeper within the OS. That's OK, just cover all the essential bases.

This I think is where palm can shine over apple and really bring it together. The old palm community has SOOOO many free or cheap apps that you could find anything you needed or someone who could make it for you. It's one of the reasons the original Treos where so great. I hope they can bring it all together and the let the hardware be the platform for the community and assist in making it all work seemlessly.

A bigger battery to start would have been nice. The default Treo (pre 800) batteries were nice, but the centro batteries are a bit small if you ask me. I'll be getting a second one for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Love the picture. Really brings the point across
    Ugh, I thought it was a crappy picture.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!