1.    #1  
    With WebOS pushing for cloud computing, partly meaning that most of your data or content is 'out there' instead of locally stored on the device, will we hit the 5GB/month limit that all major carriers have?

On my Treo, I stream radio typically 5 days a week for 3-6 hours and also use PDANet from my netbook at times if no WiFi connection available. I use about 1-1.2GB a month. Maybe a little more if doing video streaming, which is not too often.

On my laptop EVDO card, I use for work with a lot of data pushing/pulling all day, including some video streaming once in a while. I do sometimes hit over 5GB but typically it's about 3-4GB/month. Sprint hasn't said a word or overcharged for the laptop card when going over 5GB (I think because I'm grandfathered in before the 5GB limit appeared).

So with the cloud computing push, will we hit the 5GB/month limit as more cloud apps appear? I'm thinking even power users won't hit it for a while unless doing a lot of video streaming or attempt P2P. But as more cloud oriented apps occur, the 5GB/month limit might be an issue. Maybe Sprint will have WiMAX WebOS phones out by then, which has no 5GB limit.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Isn't the 5 gig limit only for mobile broadband, not cell phone use?
  3.    #3  
    Yes, phones are included with the limit. It's very hard to go over 5GB on a phone so isn't an issue at this point. As cloud computing matures and more apps integrate with the web, it could become an issue.

3G coverage nationwide: 5GB/mo. in total or 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. Additional monthly usage over 5GB costs 5/MB. You may not use more than 300 MB/mo. while off-network roaming. You can check your usage online anytime.
    WiMAX is truly 'unlimited' currently.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Being a VZW customer, how do we know when we're "off network" roaming? Is it when we get a triangle?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    With WebOS pushing for cloud computing, partly meaning that most of your data or content is 'out there' instead of locally stored on the device, will we hit the 5GB/month limit that all major carriers have?
    As far as contacts, appointments, etc. are concerned these are cached locally so the only data that you need to download/upload will be changes. It also means you have access to everything when you've got no signal.
  6.    #6  
    Understood. Some apps will sync local data to the cloud, but others may depend on the cloud.

IE, I use Orb and store all my media at home and access it from phone. Some is stored locally but most is 'in the cloud'.
    With Sprint, if you have an Everything plan, the data is unlimited. The only time you have the 5gb limit is if you have a broadband card or a phone with the PAM option.
  8.    #8  
    The disclaimer in the Everything Plan page still shows 5GB/month limit.