1.    #1  
    1. Do applications have to get Palm approval to be listed in the Apps Catalog?
    2. Do you think that an application like PDANet will receive Palm's approval?
    3. Is the Apps Catalog the only way to get applications onto the Pre?
    4. Are there other ways of getting applications onto the Pre?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    1. Do applications have to get Palm approval to be listed in the Apps Catalog?
    2. Do you think that an application like PDANet will receive Palm's approval?
    3. Is the Apps Catalog the only way to get applications onto the Pre?
    4. Are there other ways of getting applications onto the Pre?
    1. They have to be approved for stabilty, not content, or so they said. Something illegal probably will not get approved either.
    2. This seems like a gray area. It goes around Sprint's rules, I say it doesn't get approved for the app store.
    3. No, apps can be side-loaded so it's not critical that apps get in the app store.
    4. Same as #3?
    First, most of these questions have been answered elsewhere (which is why I knowthe answers).

But, to answer your questions,
    1. Yes, but Palm has said that they'll be less restrictive than Apple.
    2. Too early to tell at this point, but my hunch is yes. Sprint might not like it, but I'm not sure that they will be able to do anything about it.
    3. No. You can load applications in from other sources via USB at least.
    4. Yes, but isn't this the same question as number 3?

Edit: I see dave75 beat me to the punch. Sorry dave75!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    1. Yes, but I believe they will only check to see if the apps WORK, and aren't buggy, rather than following an Apple-like path.

2. They had tethering on early Pre leaflets, but it was mysteriously removed. To be honest, I doubt it, unless Sprint charges extra for it. It certainly won't be free...

3, 4. The Classic emulator is not installed via the App Catalog, or at least that is my impression, so it is possible to install apps this way. However, I find it unlikely that app developers will try and deliver their apps in any other way than the App Catalog.

N.B. The reason why the Classic has to be installed directly onto the phone is because it has been given DEEPER OS ACCESS than regular webOS apps. As a result, I have a couple of questions of my own: a) will we see webOS jailbreaking; and b) if so, do you think that similar to Apple's experiences, will this push Palm into allowing deeper access in the SDK.

EDIT: Dave and JBG both beat me...
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    1. They have to be approved for stabilty, not content, or so they said. Something illegal probably will not get approved either.
    2. This seems like a gray area. It goes around Sprint's rules, I say it doesn't get approved for the app store.
    3. No, apps can be side-loaded so it's not critical that apps get in the app store.
    4. Same as #3?
    What is side-loaded?
    Installed by you (USB) or anyone or company other than SPrint or Palm...
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    What is side-loaded?
    I had the same questions how would you put a app through your computer.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    What is side-loaded?
    Side loading is loading an app from your computer to your phone, as opposed to loading it directly on your phone through the app store. Just like the current Palm OS works.

Edit: I should say that I don't know exactly how it will work, but you will be able to load apps without having to go through the app store.
    alright thanks, I always wondered about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Edit: I should say that I don't know exactly how it will work, but you will be able to load apps without having to go through the app store.
    I don't know either, but a pretty good bet would be that when you plug your Pre into your computer and select USB Mode, you'll be able to browse the drive from your computer. There will be several folders. Either you'll drag and drop a downloaded application into a folder called Apps or Applications or you just put it in the root. Should be much easier than the old Hotsync method.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I love PDANet, but I am worried, because the Mojo SDK doesnt allow access to the network stack, I wonder how PDANet can pull off tethering...

It should be interesting to see how they handle it, if they can.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    There is pre-loading of applications that happens about 3-6 months prior to the launch these are the apps that will come with the device as its shipped ie operator modfied to the n'th degree.

Then there is post loading of applicaitons usually in the form of downloadable apps ort updates to firmwares or pre-loaded apps.
    Do you think there will be many free app's, or will only the dumb ones be free?
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    1. Yes, but I believe they will only check to see if the apps WORK, and aren't buggy, rather than following an Apple-like path.

2. They had tethering on early Pre leaflets, but it was mysteriously removed. To be honest, I doubt it, unless Sprint charges extra for it. It certainly won't be free...

3, 4. The Classic emulator is not installed via the App Catalog, or at least that is my impression, so it is possible to install apps this way. However, I find it unlikely that app developers will try and deliver their apps in any other way than the App Catalog.

N.B. The reason why the Classic has to be installed directly onto the phone is because it has been given DEEPER OS ACCESS than regular webOS apps. As a result, I have a couple of questions of my own: a) will we see webOS jailbreaking; and b) if so, do you think that similar to Apple's experiences, will this push Palm into allowing deeper access in the SDK.

EDIT: Dave and JBG both beat me...

Uhm, where did you get the information about Classic not being in the App Catalog?

I installed it just fine from the device yesterday from the App Catalog... 7 day trial. Just because the App has lower level API's not being currently offered by the SDK and to other developers, doesn't mean it can't be put in the store.