Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seriously, iPhone beats the Pre when it comes to typing. Typing Onscreen is really fast and your fingers don't get tired from doing it. Since webOS apps can easily be created using javascript and HTML, wouldn't it be easy for a webOS developer to create a virtual keyboard app?

I found a simple javascript keyboard online:
    JavaScript Graphical / Virtual Keyboard Interface

All a webOS developer would need to do is modify the CSS so the keyboard looks better and fits on the screen. How hard would that be to do?
    Adding a virtual qwerty would only be logically and a good place to start would be with a version of Touchpal. Touchpal if your out there..............................
    The problem isn't designing the keyboard...it's getting it to be pulled up and accessible by the various apps on the phone (a la iPhone). Certainly would require deep OS privileges that r prob locked
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Seriously, iPhone beats the Pre when it comes to typing. Typing Onscreen is really fast and your fingers don't get tired from doing it.
    How do you know, have you typed on the Pre. I have not but I don't see how it could be worse than the iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by criley98 View Post
    The problem isn't designing the keyboard...it's getting it to be pulled up and accessible by the various apps on the phone (a la iPhone). Certainly would require deep OS privileges that r prob locked
    Not necessarily, you can have an application that lives in the dashboard with a keyboard icon, and you press the icon and a keyboard notification comes up, then at the very worst, whatever you type could be automatically copied into the clipboard when you dismiss it, and then you'd just have to paste into the text field.

If there's not a more elegant way already, that is.
    If Palm is sensible one of the WebOS updates will add a virtual keyboard.

I prefer the hardware keyboard, but there are/will probably be plenty of applications where you'd like to stay in landscape mode to type a quick something instead of rotate, type, rotate.

And the same goes for portrait mode if Palm makes a WebOS mobile with a landscape keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    How do you know, have you typed on the Pre. I have not but I don't see how it could be worse than the iPhone
    Do you have a physical keyboard phone now?

I just went to Typing Test - Learn2Type.com - learn to type online FREE typing tutor and typing tests, typing certification on my iPhone and took their test.

46 WPM with 4 mistakes.

The question shouldn't be how could it be worse than the iPhone. It should be: is there any way it could be better than the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Do you have a physical keyboard phone now?

I just went to Typing Test - Learn2Type.com - learn to type online FREE typing tutor and typing tests, typing certification on my iPhone and took their test.

46 WPM with 4 mistakes.

The question shouldn't be how could it be worse than the iPhone. It should be: is there any way it could be better than the iPhone?
    And that's supposed to be good? On Skyfire on my q9c, (so there's actually a slight delay between the time that I enter the text and the time that it gets put into the website), I got 54 WPM with 0 mistakes. Big deal.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/30/2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And that's supposed to be good? On Skyfire on my q9c, (so there's actually a slight delay between the time that I enter the text and the time that it gets put into the website), I got 54 WPM with 0 mistakes. Big deal.
    Yes, it is good, as a matter of fact (even though I was not responding to you). I type 110 WPM on my computer, and about half of that on my mobile device (iPhone). I'm perfectly happy typing 50 WPM on my iPhone (the 46 was my first try a couple minutes ago, I got over 50 last year), and I put it out there because I'd venture to guess that most of the people who belittle the iPhone's on screen keyboard on this site have either never typed on one for any length of time longer than a couple of minutes before dismissing it as slow.

Big deal? That's supposed to be good?
    << Edited by berd >>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/30/2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I'd be interested in hearing a comparison of your iphone typing speed to typing on the Pre, when/if you're getting it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    If Palm comes out with a way to search calendars on the Pre soon (before the new iPhone comes out and I'm forced to renew a contract on a family plan with a family member whose top priority is calendar search) I will get the Pre and make sure to do a comparison.
    Yes, it is good, as a matter of fact (even though I was not responding to you). I type 110 WPM on my computer, and about half of that on my mobile device (iPhone). I'm perfectly happy typing 50 WPM on my iPhone (the 46 was my first try a couple minutes ago, I got over 50 last year), and I put it out there because I'd venture to guess that most of the people who belittle the iPhone's on screen keyboard on this site have either never typed on one for any length of time longer than a couple of minutes before dismissing it as slow.

Big deal? That's supposed to be good?
    << Edited by berd >>
    Your original post makes it sound as if it's somehow difficult to beat the iPhone keyboard with a physical keyboard. You say "is there any way it could be better than the iPhone?" as if it's entirely impossible to be better than the iPhone, so forgive me for responding to your original ridiculous tone with a ridiculous tone of my own.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/30/2009 at 09:27 PM.
    My comment was for nothing more than to point out how ridiculous it was of another poster to state that the iPhone's keyboard was the absolute worst way of inputting text that has ever existed.
    My comment was for nothing more than to point out how ridiculous it was of another poster to state that the iPhone's keyboard was the absolute worst way of inputting text that has ever existed.
    No, not really, but Pre eats iPhones for breakfast!!!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Seriously, iPhone beats the Pre when it comes to typing.
    And you know this because you've spent lots of time typing on the Pre? No? Somehow I didn't think so.

I've use an iTouch quite a bit, and hate, absolutely hate the virtual keyboard. No way, IMHO, will the iPhone beat the Pre in this aspect. I'd have to say the virtual keyboard is one of the worst features of the iPhone.

Yes, it is good, as a matter of fact (even though I was not responding to you). I type 110 WPM on my computer, and about half of that on my mobile device (iPhone).
    But it would seem you haven't practiced nor tried the test on any other mobile device WITH a keyboard, so you have no basis for comparison. But that doesn't stop you from stating absolutes like your first post.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 05/31/2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not necessarily, you can have an application that lives in the dashboard with a keyboard icon, and you press the icon and a keyboard notification comes up, then at the very worst, whatever you type could be automatically copied into the clipboard when you dismiss it, and then you'd just have to paste into the text field.

If there's not a more elegant way already, that is.
    exactly what i was going to suggest!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

I've use an iTouch quite a bit, and hate, absolutely hate the virtual keyboard.
    It's just the Touch. The iPod Touch. But that's besides the point. Some people, yourself included, seem to hate the virtual keyboard. I just can't figure out why. The key to it is to type as fast as possible and not even care whether you're hitting the right letters. I'd say my accuracy in terms of hitting the actual letter I'm aiming for is about 70%, but the iPhone's auto-correct is so good that it doesn't matter for me most of the time; I just keep plugging away and it corrects it to what I intended to type. Trusting the keyboard and not getting fazed when you hit the wrong letter are the keys to successful typing on the iPhone.

But it would seem you haven't practiced nor tried the test on any other mobile device WITH a keyboard, so you have no basis for comparison. But that doesn't stop you from stating absolutes like your first post.
    I have used other mobile devices with a keyboard, I just haven't done the test on them.
    It's just the Touch. The iPod Touch.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Go get an iphone then...Seriously...this is not a freaking iphone! Why are people so intent on comparing everything to the iphone? Is the iphone a great piece of technology? Yes. Does everything have to be like iphone? No! What is the point on inventing a new device if some of you people are so intent on trying to make it as close to the iphone as possible?

the whole point of having the physical QWERTY keyboard is that it is more practical when typing long emails and the like. I've never known anyone to get tired typing on those things, I know I haven't. Typing on a screen can be terribly inaccurate, I would know because I have the Instinct and its just annoying not being able to use thumbs with precision.

So yeah, they could make an app for that but everyone would just think it was made to copy Apple anyway and on top of that it just seems like a waste of time. If I wanted another phone with a virtual QWERTY keyboard I would just get the new iphone that is coming out but I don't, I'm tired of tapping on a screen to type.

*BREATHS* >_<
    It's just the Touch. The iPod Touch. But that's besides the point. Some people, yourself included, seem to hate the virtual keyboard. I just can't figure out why. The key to it is to type as fast as possible and not even care whether you're hitting the right letters. I'd say my accuracy in terms of hitting the actual letter I'm aiming for is about 70%, but the iPhone's auto-correct is so good that it doesn't matter for me most of the time; I just keep plugging away and it corrects it to what I intended to type. Trusting the keyboard and not getting fazed when you hit the wrong letter are the keys to successful typing on the iPhone.

Yeah, I know it's the "iPod Touch." But a great many people shorten it to the iTouch. Just like you shortend "cannot" to "can't." Get over it.

Maybe I write with a broader vocabulary than you do, because in my experience the auto-correct isn't nearly as good as you describe. My final output is much better on a Treo than on an iAnything.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast