Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yeah, I know it's the "iPod Touch." But a great many people shorten it to the iTouch. Just like you shortend "cannot" to "can't." Get over it.

Maybe I write with a broader vocabulary than you do, because in my experience the auto-correct isn't nearly as good as you describe. My final output is much better on a Treo than on an iAnything.
    I type pretty well with my iPod Touch. With the app Idle Hands my high is 48.24 WPM and probably average low 40s to upper 30s. That not bad for me considering I type high 50s low 60s on a computer keyboard. That being said I probably type just as fast and maybe a little faster with my Treo. For me, the main advantages of a physical keyboard is that reaction time is immediate (sometimes there's lag on the Touch especially on big webpages) and I can do some touch typing so no there's need to look at the keys.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/01/2009 at 11:48 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    For me personally, I find that I have to constantly look at the virtual keyboard to reduce my spelling errors which in essence slows me down. With my blackberry, I can crank out text SO much faster then I ever could on my iPod Touch.

The lack of a virtual keyboard was one of 3 reasons why I never got the iPhone... 2 being it can't multitask, 3 it's on AT&T. (American Telecommunications & Tapping)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    For me personally, I find that I have to constantly look at the virtual keyboard to reduce my spelling errors which in essence slows me down. With my blackberry, I can crank out text SO much faster then I ever could on my iPod Touch.

The lack of a virtual keyboard was one of 3 reasons why I never got the iPhone... 2 being it can't multitask, 3 it's on AT&T. (American Telecommunications & Tapping)
    I think you meant "lack of a physical keyboard".
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yeah, I know it's the "iPod Touch." But a great many people shorten it to the iTouch. Just like you shortend "cannot" to "can't." Get over it.
    It's not the same. Can't is a correct version of cannot. It's not the iNano or the iShuffle. Similarly, it's not the iTouch. It's not that important, and I'm over it. Mentioning something doesn't mean I'm filled with anger about its use.

Maybe I write with a broader vocabulary than you do, because in my experience the auto-correct isn't nearly as good as you describe.
    Very nice not-so-subtle insult (), but if you were at all competent with the virtual keyboard you might have noticed that the longer, or more obscure the word, the better the auto-correct works. Nice try.

My final output is much better on a Treo than on an iAnything.
    I'm interested as to your WPM on your Treo compared to your WPM on a Touch. Care to share? I don't have a Treo or I'd try as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    I'm interested as to your WPM on your Treo compared to your WPM on a Touch. Care to share? I don't have a Treo or I'd try as well...
    I don't get the fascination with WPM. Are you trying to convince yourself? Typing speed is just one component of the typing experience and some prefer a physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I don't get the fascination with WPM. Are you trying to convince yourself? Typing speed is just one component of the typing experience and some prefer a physical keyboard.
    I prefer whatever is faster adjusted for accuracy. That's it.
    I would say it's horses for courses. If the pre eventually gets a virtual keyboard then it's a win-win. For those that like the physical keyboard they can use that, and for those that prefer the virtual keyboard they can use that. To have an option of the 2 is surely better for everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    It's not the same. Can't is a correct version of cannot. It's not the iNano or the iShuffle. Similarly, it's not the iTouch. It's not that important, and I'm over it. Mentioning something doesn't mean I'm filled with anger about its use.

Very nice not-so-subtle insult (), but if you were at all competent with the virtual keyboard you might have noticed that the longer, or more obscure the word, the better the auto-correct works. Nice try.

Not intended as an insult. Intended as a possible explanation of why I find auto-correct doesn't work that well for me. Maybe I just type too poorly on the touch for it to figure out what I mean.

I've never compared speeds, and I don't have the touch any more. It's more about accuracy than speed, anyway.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I personally migrated from iPhone to G1. When I first got my iPhone, I thought that there was no possible way a keyboard could work better, or be faster. Then I got my G1, and a few months later, I am blazing twice as fast on the hardware keyboard, many less mistakes, and there IS something about the clicking sound that feels nice. I'd say accuracy and no-eyes-on-keyboard are all pluses. Plus, the touchscreen keyboard takes up half of the screen, or more. Def didnt like that when I was trying to type and look at a page at the same time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12