Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I use olive tree, but have not heard of any Bible Apps for the Pre, anyone heard of anything?
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    I use olive tree, but have not heard of any Bible Apps for the Pre, anyone heard of anything?
    Good news is you should be able to use olive tree with Classic. But it seems like a bible app should be pretty easy to do on WebOS.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    nope I havnt..but like you...I hope and I am sure they will come out with something..soon
    Oh God...

(sorry couldn't resist...)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    There should probably be a kindle app shortly after or at launch and you can download a bible version on the Kindle. Amazon.com: Holy Bible, New International Version, NIV: Zondervan: The Kindle Store

My first book purchase will probably be this one:
    Amazon.com: God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything: Christopher Hitchens: Books

There will no doubt be some apps for that. They are incredibly easy to write and they have a guaranteed audience willing to pay for it. Like jayzun snarkily pointed out, there will likely be some sort of e-book reader soon after release so you'll be able to find all kinds of books, sacred and profane
    Surely there's a web version of the various bibles? You could just use the web browser.

Also, if you have a PDF version of your specific bible, the Pre already has a PDF reader.

Other than that, nothing's been announced, but it's likely it'd appear, as just what everyone else said, it's very easy to create.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Good news is you should be able to use olive tree with Classic. But it seems like a bible app should be pretty easy to do on WebOS.
    But for that matter, go out and buy a bible. $49.99 for Classic + the cost of a Bible App..

I would love to have my Bible on my phone, BUT, I just got done buying a $300 genuine leather bible.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    But for that matter, go out and buy a bible. $49.99 for Classic + the cost of a Bible App..

I would love to have my Bible on my phone, BUT, I just got done buying a $300 genuine leather bible.
    Well, Olive Tree is free, and many bibles and other libraries are free too. So especially if you want to run Classic for anything else, this seems like a pretty good deal.

But to each his own. You like paper, I like a screen. Hopefully we can avoid turning this into an e-reader debate.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Holy Cow! (Sorry, couldn't resist, but that cow was special for that kind of leather!) I'd be shocked if Laridian didn't do something for MyBible. And there's always www.netbible.com in the meantime, or anything you want from Gospelcom...you just can't bookmark verses or highlight of course.
    Free is dependent on the version, which is why the KJV sticks around. No copyrights. Most of us need both...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I currently use Olive Tree's Bible Reader on my Treo 755p, and besides the free stuff, I've purchased several Bibles from them, so I'm investing in the Motion Apps Classic thingy for now -- since I'll need it for my Ultrasoft Money, anyway, until I find a suitable replacement for it that's a webOS native app. I suspect Olive Tree is taking a wait and see attitude before committing to webOS development, but I am optimistic that we'll see them do it in about... six months?

No doubt there will be plenty of other Bible apps out there shortly after the Pre's release, but if you're picky like me, you expect a certain level of functionality that's not in most of the other one's I've seen, particularly ones that are little more than electronic versions of the text itself, a la, the stuff you get on Amazon's Kindle reader (I've tested a number of them and found them only marginally better than a paper version without the ability to do powerful searches on ranges of books, etc.)
    Not religious myself, but I can certainly see the appeal of a searchable version of a big heavy-to-lug text that you frequently refer to. I'm sure someone will step up with a Pre version.
    I'm sure they will have things to read e-books, and great works of fiction like the bible would be available for it on the web somewhere.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    I'm sure they will have things to read e-books, and great works of fiction like the bible would be available for it on the web somewhere.
    Hopefully they also have other fictional books, but what can match the grandeur and epic fictional stories in the Bible? (Perhaps the Harry Potter serie sand Lord of the Rings trilogy?)
    I'm actually almost done with a NWT app with a searchable concordance.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    It's ironic that the first thing we want to do with the newest technology is load it with some of our oldest ideas. I'd like to see this critique of the Bible available on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trellus View Post
    I currently use Olive Tree's Bible Reader on my Treo 755p, and besides the free stuff, I've purchased several Bibles from them, so I'm investing in the Motion Apps Classic thingy for now -- since I'll need it for my Ultrasoft Money, anyway, until I find a suitable replacement for it that's a webOS native app. I suspect Olive Tree is taking a wait and see attitude before committing to webOS development, but I am optimistic that we'll see them do it in about... six months?

No doubt there will be plenty of other Bible apps out there shortly after the Pre's release, but if you're picky like me, you expect a certain level of functionality that's not in most of the other one's I've seen, particularly ones that are little more than electronic versions of the text itself, a la, the stuff you get on Amazon's Kindle reader (I've tested a number of them and found them only marginally better than a paper version without the ability to do powerful searches on ranges of books, etc.)
    Agreeded about Olive Tree IMO is the best bible app out there. I do hope they support Web OS. My #2 would by MyBible.

Thanks
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I've contacted Laridian to see if they plan to port any of their Palm software titles to the webOS model for the Palm Pre. Their first response was the typical we don't discuss plans for future products" (blog.laridian.com/?p=143). However, after ongoing dialogue they did at least tell me they were planning to test their products on the Pre using MotionApps Classic emulator. So there is some hope that Laridian users might be able to salvage their software investment. I sure hope so.

Nathan
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Hopefully they also have other fictional books, but what can match the grandeur and epic fictional stories in the Bible? (Perhaps the Harry Potter serie sand Lord of the Rings trilogy?)
    Okay, this is getting well off topic, since the topic was app availability on the Pre, however, I must say it IS the greatest story every told.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast