Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    It's ironic that the first thing we want to do with the newest technology is load it with some of our oldest ideas. I'd like to see this critique of the Bible available on the Pre.
    Well, that's the nice thing about e-books. You have easy access to all kinds of information and opinions. The more access people have to knowledge, the better equipped they are to interact with the world. Knowledge never hurt anyone but ignorance sure has.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Well, Olive Tree is free, and many bibles and other libraries are free too. So especially if you want to run Classic for anything else, this seems like a pretty good deal.

But to each his own. You like paper, I like a screen. Hopefully we can avoid turning this into an e-reader debate.
    Oh no, I had a Bible app for my iPhone back in the day, loved it. I'm just saying, if it's the only option, for Classic (which I'm thinking it won't be), than It's benificial for me to keep my bible, vs spending money on Classic. I was never a fan of PalmOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Surely there's a web version of the various bibles? You could just use the web browser.

Also, if you have a PDF version of your specific bible, the Pre already has a PDF reader.

Other than that, nothing's been announced, but it's likely it'd appear, as just what everyone else said, it's very easy to create.
    Um no.. that's pointless IMO.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    There's so much more to a Bible program than just reading. Searching (including complex searches, boolean, either/or, proximity, case, etc) is an important tool that Bible programs bring that simple readers may or may not be able to satisfy. Then there's the ability to view original language texts, multiple translations (often parallel views), commentaries, dictionaries, highlighting, bookmarks, etc. So hopefully someone will step up to the plate and write a native app for Bible study/reading/etc for the Pre. Personally I'd love for Laridian to be that "someone" but based on their recent blog entries (at blog.Laridian.com) I'm not so sure. But I know someone will step in.

Nathan
    Have you tried BibleGateway.com? It's a pretty feature-rich site, and has a mobile version. (Tried to post the link, but I can't because I'm too new)

Of course, with Laridian, you can highlight, bookmark, etc., and then save your notes. You'll be able to carry all of this to the Pre with Classic - all except local sync, right? Also, if Laridian develop's a webOS version, you may even be able to import the saved data. Laridian has developed for just about every platform, including WinMo, Blackberry, etc. I can't imagine that they wouldn't move forward with a webOS version.
    Last edited by redbirdie; 05/28/2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'm very familiar with BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages. and have used it a lot. I also like My Bible Study Tools from My Bible Study Tools - Personalized Online Bible Study and Bible Reading - excellent stuff. I'm excited about Genesis 1 ASV - YouVersion.com: Online Bible also and since they have an iPhone app, I'm hoping they'll release a webOS app.

I know that we will be able to use the mobile versions of these sites, but there's just something about a native app. Thanks for the input!

Nathan
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    FYI,

I talked today to olivetree after doing quite a bit of diffing around I found out Olive Tree will be coming out with a Web OS version of BibleReader to support the Pre. He would not tell me when, al I could get him to say was before end of Year...

This is Great news!!
    Last edited by tj0827; 06/03/2009 at 06:18 PM.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    FYI,

I talked today to olivetree after doing quite a bit of diffing around I found out Olive Tree will be coming out with a Web OS version of BibleReader to support the Pre. He would not tell me when, al I could get him to say was before end of Year...

This is Great news!!
    Will the application use the same Palm Bible files (.pdb)?
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I did not ask that question, all the info I could pull out during the brief conversation, was yes we will be supporting the new palm OS, I said the Web OS for Palm PRE, answer yes. I said when? answer in near future, I asked by end of year, answer was yes. That is all I know, but that is a good sign they plan to make a Bible Reader app for Web OS. My guess it is not to hard to do since they support almost every other smart phone out there.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    After hearing that OliveTree is coming to the Pre, but that it could be a few months till we see something, does anyone know if MyBible is coming to the Pre?

THanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Will the application use the same Palm Bible files (.pdb)?
    That would not make sense. It would be much better if they just allowed those of us who have already purchased non-free versions from them to re-download the same in Pre form.

Does someone actually know the address of biblegateway.com's mobile site?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    mobile.biblegateway.com
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    After hearing that OliveTree is coming to the Pre, but that it could be a few months till we see something, does anyone know if MyBible is coming to the Pre?
    I contacted them 2-3 weeks ago and they wouldn't speculate about future developments. They have recently posted an update that MyBible was compatible with Classic:

Laridian Electronic Publishing Laridian, Classic and Palm Pre

I'm hoping they will port a native webOS version as I like their products.

Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    That would not make sense. It would be much better if they just allowed those of us who have already purchased non-free versions from them to re-download the same in Pre form.

Bible

Nathan
    kjv.iBible.mobi

Try that
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Just thought you all would like to know that there are a lot of bible web apps listed on the apple web app site (since I cannot yet post links, just google "web app"). Many of them work great on the Pre. Just search for them.
    An New American Bible apps out there?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12