Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I did search before posting. Audible.com has not responded on how we'll be able to access our content after June 1st. I looked through the manual as well. It simply says no Palm OS apps will work. I thought I saw something about emulators or something but can't pin it down. Anyone have a work-around for this already? Thanks,Dave.
    I'll go out on a limb here and predict that Audible will release a player for the Pre at launch or soon thereafter.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    What's happening on June 1st?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've asked Audible 3 or 4 times in the last month and their CSR's are like A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS. I'm in hopes that they will release an app for Pre, but the announcement about no MP3's downloads on Amazon has me nervous. Don't have much of a problem with the Books at I can download them to my Mac (with a little planning) and then bring them over to the Pre. But what really concerns me is my WSJ subscription for the "Morning Read". Need to get that before I get out of bed and traveling!!

I am wondering whether we will be able to run AudibleAir with "Classic".

Will not get a Pre until I figure out how to wirelessly download product from Audible. My Centro is adequate for now and $30 cheaper.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Thanks wynand32 for your brilliantly zero-value-added comment. Brasado,I need to research Classic more. That's what I was referring to. I think wireless download is already possible if we can get the app to run. Back to wynand32...your useless ,inane post is actually more than they say when you call Audible,which is why we are looking and asking here.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thanks for interest! I don't know how to research it or I would.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I never got around to emailing them myself... but I guess it couldn't hurt for them to get another.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Found this post over at SprintGurus regarding Audible's plans for the Pre. I just emailed greatideas@audible.com to request a Pre-compatible version and would encourage all of you to do the same. I also encouraged them to get in touch with MotionApps to work on getting their current PalmOS version working with Classic. http://www.motionapps.com/classic/ We can also tell MotionApps directly (see the link on their site) that we want the Audible/AudibleAir app to work with the emulator.
    As my dad always likes to say, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil."

AudibleAir does not support the Palm Pre and apparently they don't have any immediate plans to support it. You should send an email to greatideas@audible.com to let them know you are a subscriber and will be purchasing the Palm Pre so that they know there is demand.

Here is what I learned from their support:

Me: Are there any plans to support this phone? [02:03:17 PM]

Audible.: Not at the current time. [02:03:27 PM]

Audible.: To make the device compatible with the .aa format means supporting our encryption, this protects the publishers copyrights as well as implementing key usability features, such as section navigation and resume playback. We work very closely with manufacturers of all devices in an attempt to have all of them compatible. [02:03:37 PM]

Audible: Each manufacturer must be willing to alter the device firmware to make it compatible with Audible. Some manufacturers do not wish to make this change. This is why some devices are not compatible with our content. It is basically up to the manufacturer if they are going to update their device or not. We at Audible.com, would like to see all devices compatible with our audio content. As technology evolves it is our goal to have all portable devices manufactured "AudibleReady".
    Palm Pre FAQ: Round 2 - Page 4 - Sprint Gurus Forums
    Last edited by kasi1222; 05/31/2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added info about Classic
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    If I have my thinking correct, without AudibleAir, we will have to resort to downloading books thru iTunes and then syncing them to the Pre. I still do not want to give up my WSJ subscription, but that's the only way I can think of for my Books.
    Anyone know if we can doenload and sync them tru iTunes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasado View Post
    If I have my thinking correct, without AudibleAir, we will have to resort to downloading books thru iTunes and then syncing them to the Pre. I still do not want to give up my WSJ subscription, but that's the only way I can think of for my Books.
    Anyone know if we can doenload and sync them tru iTunes?
    Can't sync through iTunes. When you try to put an Audible file on the phone, it tells you that it is unable to be played on the device.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    So....the goofs at Audible offered me a $10 coupon for something I can no longer access ;-) And I can also confirm that Classic and Audible don't make beautiful music (or prose) together...
    Just got off the phone from Audible, they are indeed now working on an app for the WebOS (as well as Android).

It should be available in about 2 to 3 months.

Also, if any of you have credits that you have not used and your subscription is about to end, and you don't want to lose those credits, call Audible directly (this can't be don't over the web), they are offing a $5 plan that will allow you to roll over all of your unused credits until the WebOS version comes out and then you can do a regular subscription at that point.

If you use all of your credits while on this $5 plan, and you wish to purchase a book without credits you will be charged the full price of the book, which is not a great deal.

So just use up your credit and hopefully by then the WebOS version will be out.

I've also asked that someone from Audible leave an Official Statement here on Precentral.net so that everyone knows what I am saying is real and that they are with us.

So finally, we can relax, it is coming!

Hope this was helpful to some of you!

Rob

PS I've posted this in other Audible threads.

Also, the reason he offered you the $10 thing, it was $10 and then he gave me a $5 coupon, so it ended up being $5. That was just to be able to roll over more than the customary credits they allowed which is now 6, I have 10 credits to be used!

So it's worth it, unless you have no credits. Then cancel and let them know why.

But they are finally working on the WebOS version!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)