Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96
  1.    #1  
    In the leaked users manual it states:

    "To purchase the app, tap Download. (If you have already installed the application, you do not see a Download button. Tap Update if an update is available. If the app is not
    free, you are taken to the developerís website to purchase the app.)"

    If this is correct, and instead of a central billing system, Palm just redirects to a third party website, I would say this App Store is severely crippled and the developers will pay for it in lost sales.

    Who the heck wants to/has time to suffer through registering and entering billing information into dozens of separate Pre developer sites for every random app? That's the beauty of Apple's App Store. You entered your account info once, and then when you feel like buying some random $1 or $2 application, you just enter your password and bam, you have it installed and ready to go.

    I'm quite sure I'd have alot less apps on my iTouch if I had to enter my CC number in for every one of them.

    I really hope it's a glitch in the manual.

    Apple's Store model is a plus for Apple, the developers, and the users. (Save it's big brother Apple approval process). Can't Palm even copy things right?
  2. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #2  
    I think you'll find that Palm did it right. I would much rather have it this way than Apple's way...

    Give it a chance.... we haven't even seen it yet!! Apple didn't even have an App Store for over a year after the iPhone release...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  3. jtlapp's Avatar
    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #3  
    My first reaction was negative too, but then I thought of these positives:

    (1) The App Catalog apparently provides for downloading only free apps. This will encourage all companies to provide try-before-you-buy versions of their software.

    (2) Businesses are given direct contact with their customers. Serious businesses require this. Serious businesses will take the webOS platform seriously.

    (3) There is no middle man regulating fees or taking cuts out of the fees. This also serves as an encouragement to software developers.

    (4) The app developer can give you the exact information you need prior to your purchase, should the App Catalog not be suitable for that much presentation.

    My biggest gripe is that I'm highly reluctant to enter my personal information into web sites I've never heard of. If we want to encourage a plurality of one-person shops, the shops will need a centralized payment system. If they're using paypal, that's fine. I will purchase and experiment with fewer apps, though.

    i would prefer a certification logo alongside apps whose companies use trustworthy purchasing systems, something to give me confidence prior to entering my data with a third party, something to encourage companies to take payments securely.
  4. jtlapp's Avatar
    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This greatly increases the transaction costs for the developer/seller. Don't expect to see any $1.99 apps.
    Yay! No more fart apps! Maybe we'll have a higher signal-to-noise-ratio.

    That $1.99 app would become the free version. If they have something serious to offer, they can charge for it and get away with it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I think you'll find that Palm did it right. I would much rather have it this way than Apple's way...

    Give it a chance.... we haven't even seen it yet!! Apple didn't even have an App Store for over a year after the iPhone release...
    1)Why would you rather have it this way?

    2) I don't understand what you mean by give it a chance. Assuming the manual is correct, I think I can predict what I will think of this functionality. I've used the Apple's App Store and I've used the visit individual developers website model too. Apple's store is a better user experience. I've bought dozens of apps on my itouch in the 3 months that I've had it, and only a handful on the Centro I've had forever.
  6. #6  
    Who cares, let's see how it works before we tear it apart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    1)Why would you rather have it this way?

    2) I don't understand what you mean by give it a chance. Assuming the manual is correct, I think I can predict what I will think of this functionality. I've used the Apple's App Store and I've used the visit individual developers website model too. Apple's store is a better user experience. I've bought dozens of apps on my itouch in the 3 months that I've had it, and only a handful on the Centro I've had forever.
    What if the "website" you are taken to is just a small simple mobile page that works with an overall Palm profile that doesn't require registration for each website separately? We don't know. So let's wait and see. It may be no big deal what so ever.
  7.    #7  
    "Serious Apps" cost "Serious Money"
    If all the Apps cost serious money, and are a pain to buy, the App store will be a huge failure.

    Docs-to-go is a serious app. An app I'm seriously not paying $70 for.
  8. #8  
    Yeah, I have to agree with the OP: forcing the user to visit yet another site just to purchase an app is nonsense. Also, smaller developers may not have the infrastructure in place to serve those apps.
  9. jtlapp's Avatar
    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #9  
    The model they seem to be pushing does greatly raise the bar of entry into the app market. You not only have to write good software, you also have to create a web site with purchasing capabilities and a good user experience.

    This model may also eliminate gadget apps and gimic apps, which do give a lot of color to the iphone.

    And it also does seem to greatly complicate the user experience.

    Hopefully we're missing something. Maybe Palm has provided a common gadget to be embedded in all web sites that take orders, to help universalize the experience.
  10. #10  
    Hopefully everything will link to our palm profiles, that way if were redirected it (palm profile) fills in whatever needed info. I want these apps to be billed to my sprint bill. Its ok that Amazon MP3's aren't but the apps need to be. If I'm in the taxi and I just want to browse the store and grab a new app quickly, I can't be pulling out my credit card. This is just an convenience issue, but so is running multiple apps. Am I wrong?
  11. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    My first reaction was negative too, but then I thought of these positives:

    (1) The App Catalog apparently provides for downloading only free apps. This will encourage all companies to provide try-before-you-buy versions of their software.

    (2) Businesses are given direct contact with their customers. Serious businesses require this. Serious businesses will take the webOS platform seriously.

    (3) There is no middle man regulating fees or taking cuts out of the fees. This also serves as an encouragement to software developers.

    (4) The app developer can give you the exact information you need prior to your purchase, should the App Catalog not be suitable for that much presentation.

    My biggest gripe is that I'm highly reluctant to enter my personal information into web sites I've never heard of. If we want to encourage a plurality of one-person shops, the shops will need a centralized payment system. If they're using paypal, that's fine. I will purchase and experiment with fewer apps, though.

    i would prefer a certification logo alongside apps whose companies use trustworthy purchasing systems, something to give me confidence prior to entering my data with a third party, something to encourage companies to take payments securely.
    I think you're going to see some sort of Palm or PayPal type system integrated into the store. Like you said... the Pre is all about ease of use. They wouldn't convolude it too much... that's not the zen of Palm...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  12.    #12  
    By the way, I'm not saying Apple's actual store App is perfect. Just the model they single clearing house model is golden. Apple's app needs greater searching and sorting functionality.

    The reason that "there's an app for that" is because it's easy to download and purchase apps. That makes it easy for people to buy, and keeps things profitable and low cost all around. I'd rather see apps that sell for $1 to 500,000 users then one that sells for 50 to 10,000.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I think you're going to see some sort of Palm or PayPal type system integrated into the store. Like you said... the Pre is all about ease of use. They wouldn't convolude it too much... that's not the zen of Palm...
    Hope so.
  14. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    "Serious Apps" cost "Serious Money"
    If all the Apps cost serious money, and are a pain to buy, the App store will be a huge failure.

    Docs-to-go is a serious app. An app I'm seriously not paying $70 for.
    No offense, but DataViz doesn't market the app to people like you. They market the app to people who make their living by using their smartphones to update docs for business deals or critical business needs.

    $70 is NOTHING in the business world. It's well worth it for the capability. Ask ANYONE who runs a business on the go.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  15.    #15  
    Yes, but if they sold that app for $10 and 10x as many people bought it, wouldn't that be better for everyone all around?

    Also, who are "people like me"? Aren't you assuming a little bit?
  16. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #16  
    Here's what people fail to grasp at this point. Each developer has a unique developer ID, each app, when uploaded to the App store will have a version number. It's tracked by your Pre. It automagically knows when you need to update it. Same as the App Store.

    Now... here's the big difference. Palm is not Apple and will not turn their App Store into a Developer's Prison. They are giving the larger developers a chance to direct to their own stores... try to upsell or sell another app. Little developers will have the ability to use Palm as their method of selling, but at a price.

    This is just my guess. Palm has thought long and HARD about using the cloud. Let's wait and see what they came up with...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  17. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Yes, but if they sold that app for $10 and 10x as many people bought it, wouldn't that be better for everyone all around?

    Also, who are "people like me"? Aren't you assuming a little bit?
    Absolutely. Based on your postings... you're not like me!

    I'm not trying to insult you, I'm merely inferring from your posts. If I'm wrong, please let me know so that my ignorance can be corrected.

    Let me ask a question then. What's the most you would pay for a mobile application?
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  18. #18  
    I certainly would have preferred a single clearing house style store like Itunes with Palm taking a cut of the pie. Additional revenue for Palm and lower cost of entry for developers.

    That said, I don't think the system they are doing is total fail either. This way certainly ends up requiring less effort on Palm's part but sits like Handago will take over where Palm left a gap.

    I do think that there will be less impulse buying overall but I also think the added freedom without needing any specific Palm approval process also aids in keeping the programs worthwhile.

    I expect the hacking community to have a field day with the Pre.


    I'd also add $70 for docs to go seems rather steep but its their code they can do what they want with it. I'd pay $30-40 for it but not much more than that.
  19.    #19  
    That depends on it's functionality. I know I've paid at least $25 for things before and maybe up to $35, although I can't remember the specific app. I think it might have been a suite.

    The thing is everyone is making a boat load of money off of the prison that is the app store. It's a good system all around.

    I'd say $5 and under wouldn't even think about. $10 through $25 is going to require actual consideration. Anything over $40 would have to really be something.
  20.    #20  
    I thought there WAS some kind of Palm approval process to get into the App store. I believe the said they'd at minimum insure the apps functioned correctly. Everyone thinks/hopes it won't be nearly as silly as Apple's.

    They also said you'd be allowed to bypass the app store if you wanted to, and load apps through other means.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions