Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    So did we learn anything about purchasing apps from today's D7 conference?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    So did we learn anything about purchasing apps from today's D7 conference?
    Engadget said they saw them go into the app store and download Fandango but they didn't elaborate or show a video. I guess that's good, if it was horrible they would surely say "It was odd, it took them to Fandango.com where they had to enter a Palm ID and then download."

Maybe it's not broken after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Engadget said they saw them go into the app store and download Fandango but they didn't elaborate or show a video. I guess that's good, if it was horrible they would surely say "It was odd, it took them to Fandango.com where they had to enter a Palm ID and then download."

Maybe it's not broken after all.
    Well that is for a free app though. Who processes the money when you buy an app is the big question.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Well that is for a free app though. Who processes the money when you buy an app is the big question.
    True.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    It's really funny, when someone says something praising the Pre, I've yet to notice anyone say "Just Relax, it may end up totally sucking when it comes out". Positive speculation good. Speculating on criticism, NOT ALLOWED.
    The difference is that no one is saying "Look xyz phone sucks because the Pre is (probably, possibly, maybe, hopefully) going to do abc". Folks on here areg getting their undies all in a wad over conjecture. Not only that, it seems that (for the most part), the (possibly) missing feature of choice is not only bad that it's (possibly) missing, it's the death of Palm, and if those idiots had only listened... and would like fries with that order sir...
    I'd rather have an OPEN platform that allows any app (webOS) than having only one source that controls what apps are developed (ala iphone). Apple has become the very fascist authoritarians that they chastised in the 1984 commercials.

A free app store is nice but even better is that palmgear, treocentral and others can still have their own app store. That's openness.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I'd rather have an OPEN platform that allows any app (webOS) than having only one source that controls what apps are developed (ala iphone). Apple has become the very fascist authoritarians that they chastised in the 1984 commercials.

A free app store is nice but even better is that palmgear, treocentral and others can still have their own app store. That's openness.

I don't think it matters much but I wanted to point out that having in a single clearing house for app purchases in no way means Palm has to also have the Draconian approval process apple uses.
    I see your point. I could see Palm still carrying all apps or as many as possible while still allowing other app stores. Either way, it's still better than Apple's approach.
    I like the idea of allowing demo free apps - try before you buy. Maybe Palm or someone could develop an API for developers that would allow registering the app via google checkout or paypal straight from the demo and download the full version from the developer site. Or some kind of similar payment function.
    Apple has become the very fascist authoritarians that they chastised in the 1984 commercials.
    Well, now, you didn't expect that one to go unchallenged, did you? Fascist authoritarians? I don't think so.

The most a private organization can do (absent government intervention, a la GM/Chrysler) is to offer a product for sale. People choose to buy it or not, according to its features and functionality. There's no force involved, nor any fraud.

I don't like Apple for a variety of reasons, most of which have a lot to do with their sycophantic fanbase. But, they're a very successful company that I certainly wouldn't accuse of being fascist. That's a pretty strong word to be tossing around.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Doesn't bother me... I am not buying apps for a phone. Free apps only for me.
    I see your point. I could see Palm still carrying all apps or as many as possible while still allowing other app stores. Either way, it's still better than Apple's approach.
    If that were true it would be a good thing. An "app store" that only redirects you to a developer's site would be a cheesy thing. Amazon.com is the right model to emulate. Thousands of businesses linked through one place to shop, great search engine, one button to push for purchase.
    From p. 81 of the manual, about buying apps:

Before you tap Download or Update make sure you know whether the app
    is free, must be bought, or can be downloaded in a trial version before you
    buy it. Tapping either button commits you to buy a fee-based app.

So...?
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This greatly increases the transaction costs for the developer/seller. Don't expect to see any $1.99 apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnL_ View Post
    From p. 81 of the manual, about buying apps:

Before you tap Download or Update make sure you know whether the app
    is free, must be bought, or can be downloaded in a trial version before you
    buy it. Tapping either button commits you to buy a fee-based app.

So...?
    Good catch. Why "commits you to buy" and not "purchases"? If the button doesn't directly purchase, usually there's a cancel button on the next page.

Maybe they've implemented one-click buying. I guess I find this encouraging.

We sure are spending a lot of clock cycles speculating on something we'll know pretty quickly one week from today.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    That was weird -- two quotes auto-generated in my reply.
    Is there any way to preview what apps are available in the App Catalog / App Store from a computer-based web-browser? I haven't made the decision to jump to the Pre, and I won't do so until I have a chance to look at the apps that are available. To date I have not been able to find a place where this is possible -- everything I've seen implies the App Catalog/Store can only be reached from the phone. Is that right?
    --
    Angus S-F
    GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona USA
    http://geoapps.com/
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345