Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96
  1. #41  
    this is a deal breaker.......i've had the iphone and the app store is an awesome experience in terms of finding each app and downloading it. If this is true, I will get getting the new iphone.....hopefully they change this.
  2. #42  
    I don't see the big deal.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't see the big deal.
    Neither do I but you can't argue that the single clearing house for all transactions and searching is more appealing in many ways. Not too say I like everything in the Apple app store and its draconian approval process I don't. This however in some ways is a step back.
  4. jtlapp's Avatar
    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #44  
    With webOS Palm has made it clear that they're trying to make things as easy as possible for developers. I'd be surprised if they didn't somehow package app purchasing for developers as well -- unless they're doing so simply because they haven't gotten to it yet.

    Why are they being so secretive about the App Catalog anyway, with no apps currently visible? Maybe this is where the big surprise is to be found.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    I honestly don't think debating the ethics of piracy is in the context of the discussion here, however, in many cases having something which just works instead of something which requires activation, contacting the software developer when you change devices (because it no longer matches the device, I mean, god forbid you break phones and have to get it replaced), and other nightmares often makes it easier.

    Don't forget that DRM is the number one reason why people pirate. Often it's easier to manage that media than media you've paid for, because you can *gasp* actually use it!
    BS - unless these pirates who are frustrated pirates are downloading their illegal programs, and purchasing the real copy as well. If so, I'd agree with your "theory".

    Otherwise, it's just another justification for theft.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Neither do I but you can't argue that the single clearing house for all transactions and searching is more appealing in many ways. Not too say I like everything in the Apple app store and its draconian approval process I don't. This however in some ways is a step back.
    The problem with "one clearing house" is it's also a the single place that decdes what can be run and what can't.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem with "one clearing house" is it's also a the single place that decdes what can be run and what can't.
    So? That doesn't mean Palm has to be a ****** and pull an Apple on the approval process.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    So? That doesn't mean Palm has to be a ****** and pull an Apple on the approval process.
    Hmmmm, I thought the complaint here was that they were doing just the opposite.
  9. welance's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #49  
    Sprint stated that they will allow developers to distribute other ways also, but I was hoping that 90% of what I buy can be "click and go" from the app store.

    So that way, if there is something sprint does NOT approve of, you can still buy it from the developers webpage, but most all are going to be sold in once central place, billed to my sprint bill, click and go. Thats one of the things I was looking forward to the most.

    It would not be a deal breaker, but the synergy point, ease of use point that others have brought up is what I'm most concerned about.
  10.    #50  
    Yep that's my hope also. Pretty much everything in one central, easy billing app store. If there is some random app that isn't a good fit for the app store or doesn't get the ok, you should be able to get it through a different channel.
  11. #51  
    I think apple changed a lot of ways people think of apps including prices. I came from a palm world where you pay around 15-20 for bejeweled and games like that were selling for like 5 bucks for the iphone.

    But they also dictate what you can or cannot have and play overlord to developers. Screw that. I'll take a few more minutes to make a purchase if it means June Fabrics can sell pdanet to me or Slingbox can sell a full version of its app to me. We also return to having trial apps..a welcome return.

    I can also live without .99 apps. I don't want to see crap apps for the sake of being able to see stupid bragging like "we have over 40k apps"

    Finally, there is no such thing as cutting the middleman. Small developers can outsource with someone like handango or incur the cost themselves. In apple's case, they give apple 30% of revenue. No matter how you cut it, its not free to distribute and market your app.
  12. #52  
    So the Palm "App Store" just has links to developers websites?

    Lame
  13. #53  
    Palm probably at this point doesnt have the resources available to house all those apps on their own servers. I remember reading a few days ago that Apple loses a lot of money just serving & maintaining the App Store, so this isnt really surprising. Palm isn't Google or Apple.

    Basically, this sounds like a prettied-up search engine. If true, then bummer.
  14. #54  
    I feel like the more news we get, the more dissapointments we face in this phone. I guess I had it too glorified in my head. I agree its not a huge deal to have a centralized app store, but I think thats what makes the iphone so special. I don't want to have to go entering my billing information everytime I buy an app. Also, I like to be able to search though ALL apps like the apple app store, and find the one I want. It would also be nice to see reviews of the apps like you can in the apple app store. Ill still get the phone because all of the other features are so neat.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    A low enough cost of entry into a market means that any Joe Smoe can enter it, as you say. Personally, though, I don't really want to have to slog through thousands of fart apps or their equivalents to find good software.
    This is not a problem with too many apps, this is a problem of them not being organized well. There needs to be a very good search functionality as well as tag clouds and customizable filters when searching for apps. But don't forget, the reason that iFart is so easy to make fun of is because it sold 10s of thousands of copies, if not more by now. You're suggestion that novelty apps shouldn't be there and developing should be prohibitively expensive to prevent them is more smugness than I've ever seen from any apple fanboy.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Otherwise, it's just another justification for theft.
    Copyright infringement, not theft. Copyright infringment does not remove any property from the possession of the owner, it simply duplicates it. Look up and read "Against Intellectual Monopoly", it is so called piracy that enabled the industrial revolution, and most of the technological advances that we've enjoyed. If Xerox had protected it's intellectual property from pirates, they would own the point and click interface. And Apple still thinks they own multi-touch, thankfully it doesn't look like they'll be suing Palm. There are many who simply hold to the philosophy that an idea or data cannot be owned like physical property.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So the Palm "App Store" just has links to developers websites?

    Lame
    And so the Apple "app store" dictates what apps you can look at or install and gives developers the run around with an anti-competitive bizarre approval process. Double lame.. Triple lame even..
  17. ghoti's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #57  
    I'm not entirely sure what that paragraph from the user guide means; it suggests that you'll have to go to the developer's website for purchase, but not necessarily for download - the code might still be held on a secure Palm server rather than on a third-party site.

    Until there's more details available than a single line in a leaked (possibly unfinished?) user guide, I don't see the point in getting worked up.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So the Palm "App Store" just has links to developers websites?

    Lame
    I guess they aptly named it "App Catalog".
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And so the Apple "app store" dictates what apps you can look at or install and gives developers the run around with an anti-competitive bizarre approval process. Double lame.. Triple lame even..
    Why couldn't Palm copy the Apple App store but relax some of the restrictions? Its amazing what people here are willing to defend for Palm. You truly are a great Palm customer. Lets make a list.

    1. No VVM. This is good because voice mail stinks anyway.
    2. Limited storage - this is good because somebody will create a music streaming app
    3. Camera not so great - buy a real camera
    4. No buying music over 3G - this is great because I dont want Joe Blow slowing down my network when he buys music
    5. Syngery brings in all Google and Facebook contacts - who cares, thats what we have universal search for
    6. No real app store - great news, we all know the Apple store is a complete failure so lets just make it a portal
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why couldn't Palm copy the Apple App store but relax some of the restrictions? Its amazing what people here are willing to defend for Palm. You truly are a great Palm customer. Lets make a list.

    1. No VVM. This is good because voice mail stinks anyway.
    2. Limited storage - this is good because somebody will create a music streaming app
    3. Camera not so great - buy a real camera
    4. No buying music over 3G - this is great because I dont want Joe Blow slowing down my network when he buys music
    5. Syngery brings in all Google and Facebook contacts - who cares, thats what we have universal search for
    6. No real app store - great news, we all know the Apple store is a complete failure so lets just make it a portal
    You don't seem to get it, they can't copy the apple app store and do it differently. Being an exclusive gatekeeper of apps is where the trouble begins. Then Sprint can come in and say "no, we don't want that" Palm gets backed into being an overlord aka Apple. It's unavoidable.

    You don't need to list unrelated criticisms. I agree on some of them. Does nothing for your argument though.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions