Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone seen any eBook readers for WebOS yet?

With that nice 3.1" screen, I'd love to move this responsibility from my T|X to the Pre.
    I am also interested in what the native format would be. But now with Classic I am not so concerned and I can use the same reader and my collection will still work. Though some with DRM might not work on the new phone. Will have to wait and see.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    I read a *LOT* on my Treo and am hoping iSilo works well under classic. That will hold me over until a native reader comes out. T

The problem is I have a lot in the .prc format already so I hope the Pre side will eventually have some way to read those. At least convert them on the device itself. At least we will have options with Classic.

I am really excited at the possibilities the Pre will offer.
    I see a cool future of native Pre apps accessing lots of cool web Bookmarklets/apps/converters directly from the web but looking like a local applications.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    I too have pondered this, and my solution will be: use Mobipocket on classic until a webOS ebook reader is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    I too have pondered this, and my solution will be: use Mobipocket on classic until a webOS ebook reader is released.
    This would do in a pinch, but not the best utilization of that big screen.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Amazon Kindle is a software and hardware platform for reading electronic books downloading from Sprints EVDO network. They also have an iPhone app, I wouldnt be surprised if Palm, Sprint, & Amazon, not only created a Music Store App for the Palm Pre but also an ebook store.

what about the size of the ebook, wont that take up space on the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by HChristianS View Post
    what about the size of the ebook, wont that take up space on the phone?
    I've got 68 books on my tablet (in epub format) taking up 26MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've got 68 books on my tablet (in epub format) taking up 26MB.
    haha thanks i didnt know about formats and disk space, one huge book can take up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HChristianS View Post
    haha thanks i didnt know about formats and disk space, one huge book can take up.
    Well, text is text, mostly. Even a PDF can be very small if it's all just typed text, (and text compresses very well- most formats compress things.)

The issue can be with pictures. Generally, a ebook with pictures is still relatively small, maybe a MB or two tops, but if you were to scan a physical book and instead of using OCR (optical character recognition) leave every single page as a picture, then it can be huge. The one book I have like that that I excluded from the count before is actually 100MB, but since I own that book, I never even actually used that (and it does weird things with the text so unfortunately keeping it as pictures is a necessity anyway).
    I read books on my 755 constantly, and having an ebook reader on the Pre was on my must-have list. With Classic, I'll be loading my 3 favorite readers (Mobipocket, eReader, TealDoc) to tide me over until a native WebOS reader comes along.

Has anyone else set aside a few choice texts just waiting to read them on your new Pre? For me:

Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt (project gutenberg edition)
    Cory Doctorow's Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town (creative commons license)
    Palm WebOS Developing Applications in Javascript (pdf)
    Would like to see a Kindle/Amazon reader on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm using classic with eReader but I would much rather have a native app
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    iSilo works. If you go their their site, they have a download for the palm pre classic with motion app.

Ax

Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    I read a *LOT* on my Treo and am hoping iSilo works well under classic. That will hold me over until a native reader comes out. T

The problem is I have a lot in the .prc format already so I hope the Pre side will eventually have some way to read those. At least convert them on the device itself. At least we will have options with Classic.

I am really excited at the possibilities the Pre will offer.
    I see a cool future of native Pre apps accessing lots of cool web Bookmarklets/apps/converters directly from the web but looking like a local applications.
    If there is an app for that, you better be a fast reader, cuz we all know how the battery life on the Pre sux!
    I emailed eReader and they told me that they are working on an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    I emailed eReader and they told me that they are working on an app.

w00t! That's what I've been waiting to hear. I hope it comes out soon.

I tried ShortCover and am not impressed, either with the app or the book selection. I mostly read public domain classics, and their service simply isn't geared towards them.
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
    Of course, you could always just use a pdf. Doesn't the google book service deliver pdf's? The Pre has a native pdf viewer.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    There's a thread in the Pre forum about being able to use iphone web apps on the pre, and one of the apps is a reader. See this thread:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/183599-list-iphone-webpages-web-apps-viewing-your-pre.html

Hope this helps.
    Actually an even better eBook reader webapp is out there. Read ePub ebooks online : Bookworm ePub reader Go to that site, upload any epub format ebook (Calibre can convert any non-DRM encrypted book to epub) and then it'll be available for the Pre. There's a mobile version of the site that works on the Pre as well: Sign in : Bookworm
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Actually an even better eBook reader webapp is out there. Read ePub ebooks online : Bookworm ePub reader Go to that site, upload any epub format ebook (Calibre can convert any non-DRM encrypted book to epub) and then it'll be available for the Pre. There's a mobile version of the site that works on the Pre as well: Sign in : Bookworm
    I like bookworm, but mobile reading is a problem because I can find no page down key or gesture on the pre. Every time you want to advance text, you have to drag it. That gets old quickly. Do you know a work-around to this? Thx.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast