Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I've searched but so far have been unsucessful in finding an answer:

I see that the Pre will be shipped with MS Outlook but will it also have Word and Excel? A PDF reader? If not will it include a third party app like Documents To Go that will actually work? It will be of no use to me if I cannot open attachments send to me via email.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    Docs to Go is an partner and we believe that both will be on the device (Doc to Go & pdf).

Question is will it support editing of Word or Excel files?

Plus the Pre has Exchange support, it doesnt ship with MS Outlook.
    View Docs for free, pay for App to edit. Yes there will be a PDF viewer.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Docs to Go is an partner and we believe that both will be on the device (Doc to Go & pdf).

Question is will it support editing of Word or Excel files?

Plus the Pre has Exchange support, it doesnt ship with MS Outlook.

According to Palm's Website under details the Pre will ship with Microsoft Outlook.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    from what i have read...it will support both viewing and editing
    Quote Originally Posted by sanmanc View Post
    According to Palm's Website under details the Pre will ship with Microsoft Outlook.
    You might want to look a little closer.

This is from the website:

Email, Wi-Fi, and GPS
    Check email from Outlook® or personal accounts like Gmail, AOL, and Yahoo!.5 Take advantage of Wi-Fi hotspots.6 And look up directions or nearby points of interest using GPS.7 It’s everything you need, everywhere you go.1

Though they don't show up well in the cut and paste, the numbers after each sentence are footnote references. Here's #5 (that comes after the mention of outlook, Gmail, AOL and Yahoo!)

5 Within wireless coverage area only. Requires Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Additional fees may apply.

The Pre is reading information from the Exchange Server. It does not come with Outlook.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You might want to look a little closer.

This is from the website:

Email, Wi-Fi, and GPS
    Check email from Outlook® or personal accounts like Gmail, AOL, and Yahoo!.5 Take advantage of Wi-Fi hotspots.6 And look up directions or nearby points of interest using GPS.7 It’s everything you need, everywhere you go.1

Though they don't show up well in the cut and paste, the numbers after each sentence are footnote references. Here's #5 (that comes after the mention of outlook, Gmail, AOL and Yahoo!)

5 Within wireless coverage area only. Requires Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Additional fees may apply.

The Pre is reading information from the Exchange Server. It does not come with Outlook.
    Unfortunately I cannot get to my photobucket page from here to post screen shots but both Palm and Sprint sites show it ships with Microsoft Outlook:

The Palm® Pre™ phone will be available on the Sprint network.
    Carrier

Sprint
    Operating
    system

Palm® webOS™Network
    specs1

3G EVDO Rev ADisplay

3.1-inch touch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color 320x480 resolution HVGA display Keyboard

Physical QWERTY keyboardEmail2

Microsoft Outlook® email with Microsoft® Direct Push Technology
    POP3/IMAP (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc). Messaging

Integrated IM, SMS, and MMSGPS1

Built-in GPS Digital camera

3 megapixel camera with LED flash and extended depth of field Sensors

Ambient light, accelerometer, and proximityMedia formats supported

Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMPWireless connectivity4

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication
    Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support Memory

8GB (~7GB user available)5
    USB mass storage support Connector

MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-SpeedHeadphone jack

3.5mm stereo Palm® Touchstone™

charging dock6

CompatibleDimensions

Width: 59.5mm (2.3 inches)
    Height: 100.5mm (3.9 inches)
    Thickness: 16.95mm (0.67 inches) Weight

135 grams (4.76 ounces)
    Use of this device requires providing a valid email address, mobile phone number, and related information for account set-up and activation. A data plan is also required. Unlimited usage data plan strongly recommended or additional data charges may apply.
    • 1 Within wireless coverage area only.
    • 2 Requires data services at additional cost. Microsoft Direct Push Technology requires Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Additional fees may apply.
    • 3 GPS requires data services at additional cost. Coverage not available in all areas at all times.
    • 4 Wi-Fi within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots require fee for usage.
    • 5 Estimate subject to change based on system software and application usage.
    • 6 Sold separately.
    • 7 Third party software available separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Requires data services at additional cost. Classic by MotionApps will not support all Palm OS applications.
    Palm, Pre, webOS, and Touchstone are among the trademarks or registered trademarks owned by or licensed to Palm, Inc. Microsoft and Outlook are either registered trademarks or trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies. All other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to identify products or services of, their respective owners. All screen images are simulated
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ^ The formatting is obviously off. BADLY ^

Also found this here on TreoCentral:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2316-1.htm
    Last edited by sanmanc; 05/21/2009 at 04:22 PM.
    As mentioned by me on the 3 or 4 other posts I've seen on the subject. It hints strongly at DocsToGo support, without any announcement having been made yet:

There's also this: Twitter / DataViz, Inc.: @precentral http://tinyurl ...

@precentral http://tinyurl.com/o5nzqw Wow...that does look a lot like a DocsToGo icon...weird!
    and this: Twitter / DataViz, Inc.: What's this?! Pre: video, ...

What's this?! Pre: video, multiple IM convos, music as ringtones and....office file support?? Quite interesting http://tinyurl.com/dgrwda
    As mentioned by me on the 3 or 4 other posts I've seen on the subject:

There's also this: Twitter / DataViz, Inc.: @precentral http://tinyurl ...

@precentral http://tinyurl.com/o5nzqw Wow...that does look a lot like a DocsToGo icon...weird!
    and this: Twitter / DataViz, Inc.: What's this?! Pre: video, ...

What's this?! Pre: video, multiple IM convos, music as ringtones and....office file support?? Quite interesting http://tinyurl.com/dgrwda