Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I don't really understand what the Pandora applications that eather will be on the pre or we will be able to purchase for the Pre. Can someone explain this. I have A Treo Pro and to my anderstanding Pandora is like Kinoma Player for the Treo Pro. Am I getting this all wrong or what. Also will this be included with the pre or is it a seperate purchase. Does anyone know.
    Thanks.
    Pandora is a streaming music "radio" website.
    It creates a radio station & plays music that you would like.

For example, if I create a station based on the song "Chop Suey" by System of A Down, it will play music by that artist. You will then be able to Thumbs Up (like) or Thumbs Down (dislike) the track that plays. Pandora will then analyze the music you like & find similar artists/songs you would enjoy.

You cannot replay or rewind a song (due to their licensing fees). You can pause a song though.

You should try it out at Pandora.com. You don't need to create an account.
    Follow Me On

The best way to get an idea of what Pandora is would be to use the regular browser-based version.

It's something of a streaming radio program but instead of a DJ creating a playlist that streams over shoutcast or something, you choose an artist or genre and then the site streams music that is similar in style. You can give thumbs-up or thumbs-down to a song to further tweak the music it plays.

Each time you do this it creates a "station". For example I have a White Stripes station, a Pixies station, a John Coltrane station, a Phish station, and a ton of others--one for each band I ever typed in to "seed" a station. These are listed on the left side of the page.

The best part is that once you have a bunch of stations, you can make a "quick-mix" that includes as many of your stations as you want. That way you're not just getting one kind of music in your stream.

With the mobile versions it is similar but it's nice to be able to put in your headphones and walk around listening to the stream. On the website they have links to buy anything you hear on Amazon and likely they will have similar links on the Pre since WebOS has Amazon integration.

I've been a fan of streaming radio on mobile devices even back before I had a 3G connection. As coverage and bandwidth continue to improve, it's become a good alternative to mp3s and satellite radio. As long as you live in a city and are well covered you get excellent variety and quality of music for just the cost of your data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ok so I don't really understand what the Pandora applications that eather will be on the pre or we will be able to purchase for the Pre. Can someone explain this. I have A Treo Pro and to my anderstanding Pandora is like Kinoma Player for the Treo Pro. Am I getting this all wrong or what. Also will this be included with the pre or is it a seperate purchase. Does anyone know.
    Thanks.
    Pandora Radio
    Pandora is customizable streaming internet radio. You start with a song or an artist and Pandora will mine its database for other things it thinks you might like. It streams it to you like it's a radio, but in this case it's interactive and you can tell it that you like this song, but not that one, and it refines the search parameters to find more music that suits your taste.

Included, probably not out of the box. But it will probably be free - the Pandora service is available in both ad-supported and paid subscription models.

http://www.pandora.com/
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Included, probably not out of the box. But it will probably be free - the Pandora service is available in both ad-supported and paid subscription models.

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music
    I'm pretty sure this is one of the included apps for the Pre. They have made a big deal of it and showed it off at some of the tech demos.
    "a Pixies station, a John Coltrane station"

Thats 2 stations that I would listen to!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "a Pixies station, a John Coltrane station"

Thats 2 stations that I would listen to!
    Well, that's why I have always loved streaming radio. Terrestrial radio has become increasingly homogenized due to heavy competition and fear of playing anything out of the ordinary. Satellite radio is a little better but playlists repeat and there is a monthly charge as well as equipment.

With streaming radio, you get all the basement DJs and music nuts who put together great eclectic playlists and can introduce you to lots of things. Pandora is good also because you seed a station and then it will suggest other things. You're less likely to hear something really random but at the same time it's got some good variety.

I used to run a shoutcast streaming station but I couldn't afford the licensing fees once they jacked them up. I could probably keep running it as a "pirate" radio station but I'd rather not face huge lawsuits and fines for a hobby
  9.    #9  
    ok thanks allot guys so I listed to comedy at work allot is pandora just for music or could you listen to comedy using the pandora app. I'm just trying to figure out what will replace my kinoma player and Pocket tunes on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    ok thanks allot guys so I listed to comedy at work allot is pandora just for music or could you listen to comedy using the pandora app. I'm just trying to figure out what will replace my kinoma player and Pocket tunes on the Pre.
    So you are looking for a player that will play streaming radio like Shoutcast? Hopefully the built-in audio player (or at least a 3rd party app) will support that soon after launch. I take a shuttle to work from my 'hood and I like to listen to NPR. I stream it to TCPMP on Win Mobile and would also like to keep up this ability with the Pre.

I get the feeling that a lot of these things (media players, etc) will be the first apps to come out since lots of people will be looking to replace old apps from PalmOS and WM.
    Check out Slacker for streaming radio over the internet, its quite good when I want to listen to local college radio or sports.

Of regular internet radio stations, I'm hoping that there will be seamless streaming thru web browser. One of my favorites is radioparadise.com.

I'm also an alternative music junkie with either last.fm, pandora, slacker or internet radio going constantly outside of work hours. I'm looking forward to the Pre for this - especially streaming via Pre to my car stereo.
    Oops, clarification. Slacker is cool, no doubt, but for local radio stations streamed across the internet I use radiotime.com.
    Shoutcast.com is the original and still the best IMO. Thousands of free stations, many of them in high quality. Any media player capable of playing a stream can tune in.
  14.    #14  
    well I'm looking for program that will let me listen to online radio stations included like comedy spoken stations.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Shoutcast.com is the original and still the best IMO. Thousands of free stations, many of them in high quality. Any media player capable of playing a stream can tune in.
    Pandora is a bit more than just a "online radio station"

It more of a playlist generator with limited ability to skip songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

Pandora simply put is awesome.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

Oh, no doubt. I just meant as far as streaming radio shoutcast was my favorite place to go to find stations. I agree that Pandora is a different animal and an excellent service.

Sometimes I like having a real DJ picking the tunes and other times I like the simplicity of making my own quickmix on Pandora.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    When Pandora is streaming radio, will I get phone calls or will they be transferred to voicemail?
    I get calls when using Pandora on my blackberry.
    All this time I thought you had to pay for Pandora. I can't believe I've been missing out on this!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast