1.    #1  
    I know this is probably a stupid question but when flash comes out for the pre will it just be an over the air update or will we have to buy a whole new pre?
    Presumably it will be an OTA update. I can't see any reason why it'd require a new device.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. joelpalm
    OTA
    Yeah, worst case scenario you have to plug it in to your pc for a firmware update, but I highly doubt it will be anything but OTA. I'm pretty sure Palm even said thats how updates would be.
  5.    #5  
    k, ty
    Flash is one of the more interesting things about this device. The sheer quality and number of good flash apps and games out there is enormous. Being able to run any flash game or app on the Pre would give it a huge boost in usefulness, not to mention how great it would be for development. There are already so many people out there who know flash well.
    The only bad thing about flash games is I have over 8 gigs of them on my local hard drive :P I will have to be very selective when I put them on the pre (Would prefer not to waste BW by going to a site to play them))
    I'd be surprised if Flash would require a firmware upgrade. Should just be another application install you'd think.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I guess we will have to wait and see i really hope for Flash or at least a YouTube player.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    I guess we will have to wait and see i really hope for Flash or at least a YouTube player.
    There's already a YouTube player, so you're covered on that front.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    There's already a YouTube player, so you're covered on that front.
    oh sweeet!
    I'm somewhat surprised that flash isn't available right out of the gate on this phone. For almost 3 years now we have been waiting for a phone with practical flash..why on earth apple never did is beyond me and they have been shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly because of it. I have heard numerous reason why they didn't but they all just sound like lame excuse really... the only one that made any sense is the control issue, apple likes to control everything..but its still a dumb reason if you ask me.

At any rate, it would have been really great of Palm to include flash on this phone at the launch but as long as it is coming I suppose it's no big deal...just I don't want to wait 6 months for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by martial_way View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised that flash isn't available right out of the gate on this phone. For almost 3 years now we have been waiting for a phone with practical flash..why on earth apple never did is beyond me and they have been shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly because of it. I have heard numerous reason why they didn't but they all just sound like lame excuse really... the only one that made any sense is the control issue, apple likes to control everything..but its still a dumb reason if you ask me.

At any rate, it would have been really great of Palm to include flash on this phone at the launch but as long as it is coming I suppose it's no big deal...just I don't want to wait 6 months for it.
    Well, Palm doesn't own the Flash technology. Adobe does. Adobe is working on a Flash Player for mobile phones (not FlashLite, but full-blown Flash) that isn't expected to be available until the end of 2009. So, basically, Palm couldn't include Flash because Adobe hasn't made it available on mobile platforms (unless you count FlashLite...which I really don't).

There are 3rd-party web browsers like Opera and Skyfire that integrate FlashLite technology, but those fall short of what Adobe (and I imagine Palm) have in mind for the Flash experience we'll get when the full-blown Flash for Mobile Phones becomes available.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.