1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Just thought I'd change up some of the jumbled mess about the release dates and price and ask a different type of question. I have a BB curve 8330 and as some of you BB users out there know, there can be quite a few OS updates available and in a short amount of time.

My question is, without the hard evidence of a desktop management software for pc, how is the pre going to update its os. The BB updates are approx. 150 mb.

So would you have to run it via the mass storage, but that would require a file manager on the pre, no?

Would you do it over-the-air, that would be mucho data intensive and slow?

Just curious on your thoughts?!
    I remember Palm saying that all updates would be done over the air.
    yeah they will be ota, but most likely in no wat slow. When I had my instinct there were about 4 ota updates, the longest of which took about five minutes, about a minute of which was the phone restarting.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Even 150 megs isnt a big deal to d/l with Wi-Fi , or even through Rev A....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Some of these updates might not even require a restart. You can update a lot of stuff on Linux without restarting (a new kernel requires a restart, and sometimes you'll have to restart an application). Because of the structure, updates don't have to be large at all. I would expect the OTA updates to be extremely painless.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I know Flash is supposed to becoming later in the year. Would that be in an OTA update or would it be a new phone?

Cheers
    No, the Flash update will be on the Pre itself...and will most likely come out-of-the-box an the rumored Pixie.

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    ^ so it will have flash at launch?
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    ^ so it will have flash at launch?
    Pre? No, probably not.

Pixie/Eos? Maybe.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    So, will it be an OTA update for the Adobe flash support, or will we have to get a new phone? I don't really understand your answer Hoffman109. Please be more specific. I was wondering this myself, just never posted it. Thanks.
    Flash will be added later to existing phones as an OTA update. What Hoffman109 was saying was the Pre will get it as an update and that he believed it was likely that Flash support would already be included in WebOS by the time the Pixie/EOS is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by methos123 View Post
    So, will it be an OTA update for the Adobe flash support, or will we have to get a new phone? I don't really understand your answer Hoffman109. Please be more specific. I was wondering this myself, just never posted it. Thanks.
    It has not been confirmed, but considering that Palm said that they were working to bring Flash to webOS, and not the Pre specifically, I'm 99.9% certain that we're talking software update. Last thing they want to do right now is alienate more customers.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Another lesson learned when building a new Mobile phone OS....make software updates very easy to do.
    Well, from the InsideSprintNow FAQ, it sounds like OTA updates are a function of the same Palm server that sets up your backups and that software is sold from, so it should be easy.