1.    #1  
    Howdy I currently have a WinMo 700wx and my wife and daughter have Instinct's. One big thing I noticed between the two is that on a Windows Mobile device that the pocket internet explorer browser if I hit the back button to go back one page, that page is most likely cached in the phone. On the Instinct however it seems to have to load that page again from the server. I quickly noticed that would drive me nuts while surfing the web.

Please tell me the Pre will cache pages and not have to reload them each time?

Please.....
    As far as I know, the pre browser will be the best browser on any smartphone ever to be released, I think I also heard about cache in a few of the dozens of reviews I've read.

Gosh, I am addicted to this phone.
    I had a chance to fiddle with the SDK and the Web browser does have Cache/History/Cookies. and doesn't reload pages from scratch if going back. It's somewhat standard Webkit browser.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    As far as I know, the pre browser will be the best browser on any smartphone ever to be released, I think I also heard about cache in a few of the dozens of reviews I've read.

I wouldn't rush to say, its the best browser on a smart phone. User in another thread who played with the demo said PRE was loading mobile versions of sites

No, mobile Safari is the best browser because it is made by Apple and the iPhone is the best phone ever made.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I had a chance to fiddle with the SDK and the Web browser does have Cache/History/Cookies. and doesn't reload pages from scratch if going back. It's somewhat standard Webkit browser.
    Fiddle with the SDK??? Were you selected as a developer?? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm trying to track down someone who has used it because I need a project developed for my business!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxla View Post
    I wouldn't rush to say, its the best browser on a smart phone. User in another thread who played with the demo said PRE was loading mobile versions of sites
    That's not due to browser limitation, but rather the Browser's ID/User Agent most likely identifies itself as a mobile browser and probably will load by default mobile versions or iphone versions of sites.

I already experienced something like this with a Webkit browser on my WinMo, it would load iPhone version of sites.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Mobile Safari either has a very, very small cache or none at all, which only helps exacerbate the biggest issue with it - the fact that it takes a century to open from the home screen or when linked to by another app. It only seems to be able to cache the current page and maybe one or two pages in the background - if you have multiple "tabs" open, you'll find that if you leave one alone for a few minutes and then come back to it, Safari will have forgotten it entirely and have to go back out and redownload and render it. Almost makes the tabbed browsing functionality useless (what really makes the tabs useless is the inability to open a link in a new tab, but that's supposedly in 3.0).

Fortunately, the Pre's implementation of WebKit seems to divide each page into individual processes a la Chrome, so hopefully it won't constantly steal cache from Peter to load Paul (that's terrible, I'm sorry).
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    No, mobile Safari is the best browser because it is made by Apple and the iPhone is the best phone ever made.
    I second that notion! Since they have the best hardware (have you ever put it to your ear? It's like a razor blade.), software (just don't expect any interaction with core API's or other programs).

Apple made webKit. Oh.... no they didn't. At least they invented "Multi-Touch"... damn... they didn't invent that either. At least they pioneered the four icon dock at the bottom of the screen... oh, shoot that DOES look like the four buttons from a Palm Pilot.

What did Apple invent? They merely took all these things together and created a phone that any ***** could use. It's simple. Apple doesn't market to geeks and tech savvy people. They market to the ignorant masses.

Have you ever met an Apple FanBoi? Defend'm till they end....
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I second that notion! Since they have the best hardware (have you ever put it to your ear? It's like a razor blade.), software (just don't expect any interaction with core API's or other programs).

Apple made webKit. Oh.... no they didn't. At least they invented "Multi-Touch"... damn... they didn't invent that either. At least they pioneered the four icon dock at the bottom of the screen... oh, shoot that DOES look like the four buttons from a Palm Pilot.

What did Apple invent? They merely took all these things together and created a phone that any ***** could use. It's simple. Apple doesn't market to geeks and tech savvy people. They market to the ignorant masses.

Give Apple it's fair credit - it finally woke up the industry and said, "We can make ultra-small devices with the same kind of power and user experience as a full computer - why aren't we?" Don't let my constant ranting and dissing discount the fact that the iPhone was a turning point in the smartphone industry, the cellphone industry, and frankly the entire computing industry.

The idea of a super-thin slate with enough processing power and memory to run a full UNIX-powered OS and tons of radios for high-speed data communication was up until the iPhone pure science-fiction - if you described such a device to a nerd back in 1997, they would have thought you had watched one too many episodes of Star Trek. If you then told them that Apple would make it, they would have had you committed.

If any ***** could have made the iPhone, why didn't they? It was mainly because the carriers controlled everything. The main innovation Apple provided was to tell AT&T "We're in control here, we're going to do our thing, make a kick-*** device, and then we're going to sell it for use on your network and make everyone involved a boatload of cash. Just stay out of our way.", which has had a profound impact on the entire business model of the industry.

Since then, Apple has made some very stupid, some would say even greedy and/or evil decisions. Make no mistake, though - without the iPhone, there never would have been the Pre - Palm would have probably went through with the release of the Foleo, watched it fail miserably in the market, and end up either completely collapsing or sold off piecemeal. The iPhone's success was enough to wake up Colligan & Co. to get off their asses and innovate again.

very true.
    take out the apps (which are all made by 3rd party companies and normal users alike) and what do you have? just a black background. the real credit belongs to the makers of the apps.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    very true.
    take out the apps (which are all made by 3rd party companies and normal users alike) and what do you have? just a black background. the real credit belongs to the makers of the apps.
    There aren't really any useful business apps because of the lack of system integration allowed by Apple. And the lack of a physical keyboard....
  13.    #13  
    Whew, thanks for the report. I'm glad that its browser will not perform like the Instinct's..
    Here's a related relevant question. Can I save a page for later offline viewing. It'd be really nice to sit in an airport and just save a whole bunch of webpages to read on the plane.

Ever since Steve Jobs took over, they went down the toilet but sales went through the roof into space and past pluto. How does that work? I have no idea. Most of their hardware today is so bad, I have no idea why people buy. google apple defects and read up on how crappy their products are. My MacBook Pro has broken quite a few times now and my Dell has not had a single problem in quite some time. Think Different? OK, I won't buy an iPhone, I will get a Pre
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Most of their hardware today is so bad, I have no idea why people buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi Berra
    Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.
    Yeah, Yogi Berra couldn't figure it out either.