Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This may have answered already but I am new and have not had the chance to go through all the threads. I have a Palm Centro and it shuts down all by it self or when a call comes in and I push answer it will shut the phone down and reboot. Will the Pre have this same issue. And I can Not email with my centro either..... I can only hope and pray that the Pre does not have these issues!!!!
    99% of problems are due to user error. did you do a clean install? what third party software do you have on your device? look within.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgirl44 View Post
    This may have answered already but I am new and have not had the chance to go through all the threads. I have a Palm Centro and it shuts down all by it self or when a call comes in and I push answer it will shut the phone down and reboot. Will the Pre have this same issue. And I can Not email with my centro either..... I can only hope and pray that the Pre does not have these issues!!!!
    I'm on my 3rd Centro (one stollen, the other lost). None of my phones has ever had any of these problems.
    Try updating your centro. I don't have any of those issues w/mine. My friend has had some hardware issues with the buttons but never the touchscreen.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    99% due to user error?? Based on what study?
    the same study that determined that 99% of all statistics cited are pulled out of someone's a$$!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm on my 3rd Centro (one stollen, the other lost). None of my phones has ever had any of these problems.
    I've had multiple treos and currenty have a Centro - I;ve had allof those problems. Just yesterday i went on the web and the phonr rebooted It was totaly random, and not a "user" problem.

But to the quesiotn of the thred, I would say 'no'. This is a completely new OS. There may be issues / bugs, but they would be completely diffrent then what we experieced w/ past Palms
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    My old Treo 650 would randomly reboot. The "P" key got stuck warranting me to open the thing up and pop the little sensor bubble thing back out where it was stuck. The headphone jack got internally stuck due to normal occasional use, leaving the phone stuck in headset mode even when it was unplugged. I had to buy a program that would artificially disable the headset jack and force the built-in earpiece.

Those were hardly user error. They were hardware and software issues that came up within the first 6 months of casual use. I was poor and in college at the time so I didn't have insurance.

Now this phone has a totally different spec and manufacturer so any issues it has will be unrelated. Still, it's not fair to blame all past Palm issues on user error. There were plenty of software and design flaws as well.
    the key to a stable device is -

1. clean install.
    2. minimal and non-OS-invasive third party apps.
    3. adequate free memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the key to a stable device is -

1. clean install.
    2. minimal and non-OS-invasive third party apps.
    3. adequate free memory.
    4. Hardware that doesn't crap out within 6 months of casual use.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    4. Hardware that doesn't crap out within 6 months of casual use.
    Agreed. I've experienced each of the problems you are seeing, the first 2 back on my 650(s) and the latter on my 700p from time to time, though not lately. The 650 was a terrible device hardware-wise, and I hope they don't come up again with this new hardware base....
    Bok
    I had to switch out my iphone due to defective hardware after 10 months. It happens.

I usually had to go through 2-3 Treos to get a solid one.

Switch it out til you get one that works after you rule out 3rd party stuff.
    The Pre has nothing in common with previous Palm devices other than the name on the back. It wasn't even developed by the same people. I don't know if it will be stable or not but you can't draw any conclusions from the behaviour of your Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I had to switch out my iphone due to defective hardware after 10 months. It happens.

I usually had to go through 2-3 Treos to get a solid one.

Switch it out til you get one that works after you rule out 3rd party stuff.
    Oh, totally. I put up with it because I love having a smartphone. I just think it sucks that those kind of issues are so common. You would think a little more spent on QA would save a ton in returns, refurbs, and bad PRPRPR.
    I had to trade in my first wife on a more reliable model.

And, before anyone starts the flames - yes, my response was as useful to the OP as some of the others so far.

gadgetgirl44
    A phone that shuts itself down when a call comes in or when you answer the phone, might be a good paperweight, but it's not much of a phone.

Several questions come to mind, but they are more appropriate to the Treo/Centro forums than the Pre, but the simple answer to your question is:

No, the Pre should not have these problems.

The more complex answer is: But neither should your Centro.

If I were you, and the device was still in warranty, I'd be talking to Sprint. If it's out of warranty, back up your important data, do a clean install, and give it a day or so with nothing added to it. If the problem goes away with the clean install, begin adding your data and software (one or two things at a time) until the problem repeats itself. Then you'll know which one was the problem.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    It is not the device- it is management. If management has a history of rushing things out that have problems, then that's where the problem rests. Even if the Pre is made by different people that does not solve the management issue that leads to problems. My partner went through about 7 or 8 Treo 700Ps with Verizon- each one had major problems- and finally gave up.

Having said all of that, I'm going to probably hold my breath and get the Pre anyway to give it a chance.
  16.    #16  
    Thank you for your response. What is a clean install - just so I make sure I do the right thing.
    Yes i am still under warranty - but the problem with that is Sprint Techs are only work from 9-5pm in my area and those are the hours I work and they are not there on Saturdays. And this is my second phone. But if I do get a chance to take it into Sprint and have a tech look at it again - will they do the clean install?

Thanks again!
    Thank you for your response. What is a clean install - just so I make sure I do the right thing.
    Yes i am still under warranty - but the problem with that is Sprint Techs are only work from 9-5pm in my area and those are the hours I work and they are not there on Saturdays. And this is my second phone. But if I do get a chance to take it into Sprint and have a tech look at it again - will they do the clean install?

Thanks again!
    This really is probably more appropriately addressed on a Treo/Centro forum, and it's been a while since I've done this to a device (mine has been amazingly stable for several months now), but here's what I would do:

1. Back up your phone, by synchronizing to your computer (you may want to also back up to an SD card, if you have software that lets you do that)
    2. Rename your user directory in the Palm program directory (this will prevent everything going back on the device the first time you sync it)
    3. Do a hard reset
      1. Remove the battery from the rear of the unit.
      2. Hold down the power button while reinserting the battery.
      3. When the Palm logo appears, release the power button.
      4. Press the Up button to complete the hard reset and erase all data on the Centro.
    4. Reinitialize the phone, using the same user name/ID that you used initially.

Again, I would recommend you ask on the appropriate forum though, to get more details on how to best back up your system, and how best to slowly readd the data.

Or.... you could just wait for the Pre...
    Everyone has to realize that the Palm OS was NEVER meant to be a smartphone OS. Everything was just "layered" on top of it all. Why do you think the Palm OS never supported WiFi, GPS, UMTS/HSDPA, etc? The Pre was built from the bottom up as a smartphone OS and as such, it should be a lot more solid of a device. In addition, the people behind the new webOS have had substantial mobile device experience, so the new devices should be fairly good. not without problems, but still good reliable devices. We'll see within a month I'm sure.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Not everyone should own a smartphone. This is an example....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    really i'd say the pre should be pretty solid, without many resets. linux is known for stability and as long as the webkit engine is good, all of the apps should be as well since they'll be running essentially off of that
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast