Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    really i'd say the pre should be pretty solid, without many resets. linux is known for stability and as long as the webkit engine is good, all of the apps should be as well since they'll be running essentially off of that
    Wow... you're making an uninformed assumption on a device and OS that has yet to be released.

Have you ever installed Linux on a box? Easy to work with...??? If you get lucky with your hardware or plan ahead.

As far as resets, who knows. It all depends on the programming. Windows is a very stable system until people start screwing around with it. Apple's iPhone is fairly stable because they don't let people outside of their little box, but anyone that owns a iPhone or iTouch knows that individual programs reset themselves (QUIT) constantly. It just doesn't cause the phone to hemorrhage.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Have you ever installed Linux on a box? Easy to work with...??? If you get lucky with your hardware or plan ahead.
    Considering that Palm is using the same hardware in every device (until the Pixie/Eos, or any future WebOS devices, but even still I'd have to imagine it'd be a very similar architecture) the latter part of this doesn't apply.

And I have to imagine it'd be very similar to the iPhone... when something crashes, if anything, it'll just be the single application, not the whole device. Applications (except Classic) just run in a Webkit based layer on top of the Linux stuff, so I can't imagine one being able to take down the whole system with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Everyone has to realize that the Palm OS was NEVER meant to be a smartphone OS. Everything was just "layered" on top of it all. Why do you think the Palm OS never supported WiFi, GPS, UMTS/HSDPA, etc? The Pre was built from the bottom up as a smartphone OS and as such, it should be a lot more solid of a device. In addition, the people behind the new webOS have had substantial mobile device experience, so the new devices should be fairly good. not without problems, but still good reliable devices. We'll see within a month I'm sure.
    I was waiting for someone to say this.

The OS was shoehorned with stuff it was never meant to.

This is why many people are surprised it took so long to send to the pasture with the rifle in hand.

I loved you Palm OS but you were clearly no longer AAA material.....I left you for a Blackberry where I do not experience random restarts or any other cocky problems (like a freeze that then registers every touch or button press you did while frozen causing your phone to spaz out).

I look forward to loving you more WebOS.
    "Palm's aging operating system, Palm OS, was originally created for a relatively simple personal organizer; it was then added to and patched up to do things like power a cell phone—a task it was never intended to perform. It was a bit like using a lawn-mower engine to build a go-kart, then adding a bigger chassis and turning the go-kart into a real car, then turning that into a plane, and then trying to make the plane fly to the moon. Palm needed a fresh start." - Dan Lyons
    Everyone has to realize that the Palm OS was NEVER meant to be a smartphone OS. Everything was just "layered" on top of it all.
    Yet Palm kept selling that crap to an otherwise unsuspecting consumer base by promising more and more (better BT, wifi) and never coming through. But now we're supposed to trust them, right?
    No one is saying you are supposed to "trust" them.

As a consumer one would think you are fully capable of making your own decision.

If you don't trust palm...don't buy the Pre.

Treo 755p was one of my favorite phones i've ever owned...It just eventually ran its course.

I never listened to their promises really, I never belonged to a Palm forum until the Pre started up.
    Next Mace continued down his strange path by telling the audience of features that he and Palm wouldn't be adding to its handhelds. Full-motion video? No. Full Web-browsing? No. Voice recognition? No, no, no. Palm, he claims, doesn't want to get caught up implementing features that the majority of users would never use, or even want in their handheld.

The Palm Zen, Stay simple, is at the heart of Palm's success. No one in the company wants to see that end. CTO Bill Maggs addressed this topic in a keynote at the conference. Be easy to put in a pocket or purse. And offer understandable, utilitarian applications
    for users.

Palm Boulevard: News: Palm Zen vs. Microsoft's Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgirl44 View Post
    This may have answered already but I am new and have not had the chance to go through all the threads. I have a Palm Centro and it shuts down all by it self or when a call comes in and I push answer it will shut the phone down and reboot. Will the Pre have this same issue. And I can Not email with my centro either..... I can only hope and pray that the Pre does not have these issues!!!!
    how could it be in the Pre?
    pre and centro run different os now, they will have little similarities except being made by the same incorporation.
    and, do you really think palm and sprint will release a ****ed up phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    pre and centro run different os now, they will have little similarities except being made by the same incorporation.
    To make sure I understand you:

- A new, unproven OS will definitely be better than a proven (albeit aging) OS?
    - Palm (and for that matter Sprint) are known for their spotless track records providing high quality products with few defects?

These two companies love people like you!

To answer your question: I'm pretty sure it could be "in the Pre" because Palm built it and Sprint is fielding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet Palm kept selling that crap to an otherwise unsuspecting consumer base by promising more and more (better BT, wifi) and never coming through. But now we're supposed to trust them, right?
    Now let me see if I understand your history correctly. You think folks purchased unit A from Palm, because they promised somewhere down the road, unit B would have WiFi and a better BT?

That's odd. If those things were important to them, and they had waited for them, then I could understand the complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Remember this thing called the 700p?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    How come when someone complains about 'random resets' (on a Centro) no one jumps in and says "type in the secret hash codes and see what app cased the last error?"

In the Phone app:
    1. For
    Verizon: #*#
    Sprint: ##
    Other CDMA: #*#

2. Then to see the Error
    377 -- Spells “ERR.” It displays the last error which caused a soft reset, what program was running, line number, etc.

3. Then tap the Dial button.

Ref: Hash Codes for Your Palm Device | mytreo.net
    Last edited by Miner; 05/16/2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Dial button, spelling
    Funny - always forget about the hash codes.

Per my System error log, last reset was 5-12-09 while running "Web"/. The rest looks jibberish to me (I don't have a program to capture the screen) but it mentions illegal instruction.

i think the point is the average users, who does the things Gekko mentioned above, still has resets. All of this means nothing for a webOS / pre consumer. It;s a whole different ball game
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Everyone has to realize that the Palm OS was NEVER meant to be a smartphone OS. Everything was just "layered" on top of it all. Why do you think the Palm OS never supported WiFi, GPS, UMTS/HSDPA, etc? The Pre was built from the bottom up as a smartphone OS and as such, it should be a lot more solid of a device. In addition, the people behind the new webOS have had substantial mobile device experience, so the new devices should be fairly good. not without problems, but still good reliable devices. We'll see within a month I'm sure.
    Actually Palm OS did have Wi-Fi and GPS, except not on phones and wasn't perfect.

Palm TX, Sony CLIE TJ-37, Tungsten C all had Wi-Fi, but had problems each to it.

Serial GPS devices worked with some navigation software.

But yes, your point is clear, Palm OS is ancient.

Just an analogy, Palm OS is a lot like Windows 95, it was OK at first but Palm kept trying to keep it alive and we ended up Windows ME.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12