Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Dude ... um ... I hate to be the one to point this out ... and not even saying that it's relevant ... but on the "open mouth" thing - have you looked at your avatar lately?

Just saying...
    damn..
    I love lolcats
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    damn..
    One of the better responses I've seen on here. Gotta love a guy that can take a joke that's on him...
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Sounds like a big loss for the Pre community.....

*Sarcasm*
    That may be a joke. But if WebOS starts getting considered uncool, not good. And I'm betting that's why he won't develop for it yet. He could change his tune if it takes off though.

P.S. Lots of people here don't seem to know Nine Inch Nails???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Aw man, that's it....I'm getting an iphone.

F-that, this is the only thing that was making me get a Pre.

Does that sound familiar to anyone....
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i love nine inch nails - going to see them next week! i think i would have enjoyed using the NIN app, but it's not going to make me choose an iPhone over a pre. here's a demo of the app
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That may be a joke. But if WebOS starts getting considered uncool, not good. And I'm betting that's why he won't develop for it yet. He could change his tune if it takes off though.

P.S. Lots of people here don't seem to know Nine Inch Nails???
    PalmOS is one of the greatest mobile operating systems ever, but can you honestly say it's "cool"? OSX is much "cooler" then XP, but how many more computers have windows? I don't think "cool" sells for very long. Fads die. In the end its greatest marketing and user experience that wins.

1 missing negligible application doesn't break systems. That's like saying the iPhone wouldn't have gotten to be the success it is today without iFart. Niche markets don't turn tides. Any developer that makes software only because it is "cool" to do it, or only for "cool" systems, usually makes virtually useless crap. That NIN app is not much more then a glorified MySpace page which I can view for free.

I'm not going to buy the Pre because it is "cool", I'm buying it because it's a smart choice.

And I know who NIN is.
    Looking at the youtube link posted, this app almost seems like it was made for WebOS. It's retarded they don't even consider making one for the Pre.
    I never said the NIN app would break the system. I just mean that if WebOS gets perceived as uncool, I don't think it's necessarily a good thing if they're trying to sell this to mainstream people.

Although this just seems to be HIS opinion.

BTW, is there a Facebook, MySpace, YouTube and Twitter app for WebOS?

P.S. Now that I think about it, there MUST be a Twitter app since they have linked Twitter with the Pre in ads.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/14/2009 at 02:23 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Looking at the youtube link posted, this app almost seems like it was made for WebOS. It's retarded they don't even consider making one for the Pre.
    Keep in mind that Trent Reznor is paying for this app's development out of his pocket. The more platforms that are developed for, the more it costs him. And from what I understand, it's a free app, so it's not making him any money he wouldn't be making anyway, just something for his fans.
    He makes money selling tickets through the app I believe. But apparently he thinks the other OSes are either not cool or popular enough. Or maybe he thinks his fans are mainly iPhone users? It's strange that he won't do one for Symbian since Nokia has released many media and music phones.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think he does sell tickets through the application. Either way, I'm sure their shows probably sell out most nights regardless of the iPhone app or not, so I don't think it's really making him that much money, who knows.

I like the band, but I wouldn't let not having something as trivial as this ever bother me enough that "oh no, I have to buy an iPhone" and I would hope others would have much more important needs as well.

He has commented a little bit about the other smartphone OSes (not WebOS or Symbian though, but Symbian is much more popular in Europe than the US anyway):

Android is cool, but nobody has an Android phone. Blackberry is OK but the hardware is inconsistent and WinMo straight-up sucks balls. If Apple doesn't get it together, we will most certainly make it available to the jailbreak community. I didn't invest in this app to see it languish on the sidelines from an idiotic policy while this tour is in full swing.
    And to answer your earlier questions, yes to a WebOS Facebook app (that we've seen only the icon of), yes to Youtube, probably to Twitter (apparently someone said on the frontpage's comments that they were developing one), and haven't heard anything about a Myspace one, but I feel like Myspace is on it's way out.
    I hope MySpace sticks around for a long time. Facebook gets creepy ideas about privacy sometimes. MySpace tried to get sneaky once too, but backlash seems to have gotten them to stop entirely. Not so much with Facebook.

And the last time I looked at that NIN app, if you're a member of their site, you can get first dibs on tickets and I think you sign up through the app or online. He's marketing, even if the app is free.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Keep in mind that Trent Reznor is paying for this app's development out of his pocket. The more platforms that are developed for, the more it costs him. And from what I understand, it's a free app, so it's not making him any money he wouldn't be making anyway, just something for his fans.
    Well I'm just saying from the look of the app it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to develop for the WebOS. It almost just seems like they made a program to browse the site on a mobile Webkit browser. And I'm sure he also pays for their main website's developers and maintainers who are probably already well-versed enough with HTML, CSS and Javascript to possibly develop an app for WebOS.

This was the point with Palm, WebOS is so much easier to develop for, Trent would probably pay peanuts for a WebOS development compared to an iPhone app.
    I hope MySpace sticks around for a long time. Facebook gets creepy ideas about privacy sometimes. MySpace tried to get sneaky once too, but backlash seems to have gotten them to stop entirely. Not so much with Facebook.
    I'm sure it'll actually be around, I just feel like these days, anyone new to the social networking stuff is signing up for Facebook and not Myspace. Though, the one thing I actually still use Myspace for is music. Having the integrated flash player for bands to be able to stream a couple of their songs is great, I've heard a lot of new music that way.
    BTW, is there a Facebook, MySpace, YouTube and Twitter app for WebOS?

P.S. Now that I think about it, there MUST be a Twitter app since they have linked Twitter with the Pre in ads.
    There are confirmed apps for all of those except MySpace. In this post, there is a screenshot of the app store. You can see the Twitter icon (3rd one, top row).

In this post, you can see the icons for Youtube & Facebook.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the music sucks. and it's not 1994 anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    Right. That's where you're wrong.
    No, he's pretty much spot on.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    No, he's pretty much spot on.
    He is only factually right about it not being 1994.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I think this whole thing is relevant not so much because of the lack of a particular app for WebOS, but because Reznor is fairly well recognized as being at the cutting edge of technology for the music business.

But my guess is that this is less a statement of rejection of WebOS and more a recognition that any time and money put into WebOS apps right now (since the phone isn't out yet) would not be worth it for him. Even if the effort is way less than iPhone, it will still be something.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12